VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Out Of Pain Meds

Rate this topic

30 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

stillhere''

Pete I use myhealthvet to message my doctor and he is very good and getting back to me same day!

Stillhere

stillhere are you sure its your PCP getting back to you in myhealthvet? or is it the PCP Nurse?

I think were all having problems with #2 narcotics because of the recent FDA change.  I had to come in to my VAMC to take a urine test  before they would renew my pain meds.  even with a prescription/ they double check at the pharmacy. and put holds on sending it to the veteran.

jmo

............Buck   

Yup that's the same as done using private insurance. I get blood tested , urine tested, and every so often get a pill count. Also the contract. That's all normal procedure for class I or II narcotics. 

My local VAMC would not rx any narcotic pain relievers. Tramadol was once given in line with the VA and DOL. Agencies are to paranoid with everyone because of the actions of a few. 

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

ArNG11

I understand your frustration about your pain non-relief 

you may ask your Dr to at least let you try the spine stimulator  how does he know if you don't get to try it? it works differently on each person and some it don't help them at all  but your Dr needs to let you at least try it...or give you some epidural injections for at least temporary relief 

Just please don't do something really stupid/if you get to feeling that way please call the VA Crisis Hotline number

1-800-273-8255 press 1

I have used this number a few time myself and they truly do help

Hang in there my friend

..........Buck

With the inert pain stim machine it just would not cut it,  in the docs opinion as he stated I'm too far gone to try. Money issues for the insurance company if you understand my meaning. His opinion but I haven't pushed yet. I do have a tens unit that I use though. Nerve Ablations helped for a short while but they also hit a plateau. plus heat , ice, PT, chiro, acupuncture, herbals, topicals,etcetera.  Mind over matter, well, even the strongest will cave. It's a battle no doubt. Hypnosis, cognitive behavioral techniques and so forth. Just have to find the treatment regiment that works most effectively. That's the extremely difficult part. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
19 hours ago, ArNG11 said:

Yup that's the same as done using private insurance. I get blood tested , urine tested, and every so often get a pill count. Also the contract. That's all normal procedure for class I or II narcotics. 

My local VAMC would not rx any narcotic pain relievers. Tramadol was once given in line with the VA and DOL. Agencies are to paranoid with everyone because of the actions of a few. 

Exact same situation at the Birmingham VAMC. I used to get Tylenol with codeine and, taken sparingly during higher pain levels, would make a 30 day supply last 90-120 days because I tried to get by without it as best I could. Despite the VAMC making me sign a pain contract, I never have never been tested. I am seriously considering revoking the pain contract because it has been useless for about the past six months.

Somehow, I jacked up one of my joints and ended up at the VAMC this past week in significant pain to the point I could barely drive. All they did was examine my ROM (very painful), take an x-ray, and tell me to double my muscle relaxer for a few days. I asked the doc if I should come back and get the results of the x-ray, but the doc said they would not be there because they would be going home (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot) and someone would call me. Because the pain level was steadily advancing, I asked the doc what I should do if the pain gets worse. The doc said the muscle relaxers were for pain (Bravo Sierra). Unfortunately, they can't give me tramadol due to allergy. I have managed due to my wife being a brilliant RN, ice packs, what little meds the VA gave me, some sleep medicine, and some max strength Tylenol. I am hoping I can get back to work this week, but being scared of something as simple as a random sneeze, it has be a bit worried.

Vync I understand and know how you feel about a random sneeze. I am careful how I walk, stand, sit and all that jazz.  Fear of popping joints or a slide of the patella is nerve racking enough.  Even the left hip surgery I had while it's healing nicely the joint has popped a few times and I about panic every single time.  Clean popping without the grinding so it is better than before.  

Id wish that the folks that need the pain medications wouldn't get treated as drug addicts, or dope dealers.  If you get caught then you should have consequences but not before.  Presumed guilty until proven innocent philosophy there. Some day that will change, hopefully.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
1 minute ago, ArNG11 said:

Vync I understand and know how you feel about a random sneeze. I am careful how I walk, stand, sit and all that jazz.  Fear of popping joints or a slide of the patella is nerve racking enough.  Even the left hip surgery I had while it's healing nicely the joint has popped a few times and I about panic every single time.  Clean popping without the grinding so it is better than before.  

Id wish that the folks that need the pain medications wouldn't get treated as drug addicts, or dope dealers.  If you get caught then you should have consequences but not before.  Presumed guilty until proven innocent philosophy there. Some day that will change, hopefully.

Mr. A,
You are indeed correct. It makes me wonder if the VA taking advantage of the "guilty until proven innocent philosophy" to paint veterans as addicts in order to save on medication costs. 

http://www.va.gov/health/rights/patientrights.asp

3. Partnering in Care
- You have the right to have your pain assessed and to receive treatment to manage your pain. You and your treatment team will develop a pain management plan together. You are expected to help the treatment team by telling them if you have pain and if the treatment is working.

We have kept up with out end of the bargain, but have they kept up with theirs?

While I agree gotta be careful not to get into the politics of this situation.

Accountability.  Yup accountability, somewhere I have heard that word, that term, that philosophy,.. Oh yeah ALL 22 YEARS OF MY SERVICE HISTORY to this country.   

There should be no reason for this to happen to any person who is treated by physician.  VA, or private, or whatever covered insurance.

I know on the private side you will have appointments and reminders for the visits to continue the prescription of pain meds.  I call the Doc office, nurse gives the message to the doc, doc approves refill, or denies until scheduled appointment for a face to face the same week or days of the call.  Mostly I go in for every refill.  Heck they even have the means to do via internet or a home visit. They count pills, review the registry and so forth.  Easy peasy no harm no foul.  

Excuses are all I hear, and putting the blame on the Veteran.  Hmm if no meds or pills then offer viable alternative to pain relief, structured counseling, alternative medicine, osteopathic means, I am sure we can name several more.  But oh no that's not possible! 

It can't rain every day, the sun will break through eventually.