VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

WTF, over!?!

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Got a call earlier this morning from the DAV, who I mistakenly made my POA.  I emailed them a month ago about my claim status, since ebennies was showing prep for decision and that the DAV had recommended a decision.  So I waited till now, to hear from them.

Man told me that the VA has denied all my claims!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I ask which ones, he said there is a bunch of stuff "in here".  He said my jaw condition is denied, Oh??? I have half a dozen treatment records from both the medical and the dental side, clearly showing treatment in service.  He said it doesn't show SC????????????  Then what does?

I ask when did this happen? He said November 23rd!!!!!!!!! Oh???? I haven't seen or heard anything from the VA and ebennefits stiill showing prep for decision.  He said he will print out the letter and mail it to me today.  Said when I get it, to go through my STR and find every instance of treatment or any mention of my contentions.

Said my MH was denied due to same.  I said it was filed as secondary to chronic pain.  Said I sent in a boat load of evidence showing over 20 years of pain and related prescriptions from in service and post service VA treatment.  Said I need to have my VA MH write a letter stating that he DX my MDD due to chronic pain.  I said doesn't the VA only take the word of the examining MH dr?  He said I still need to  get that letter. 

I told him just send me the letter and I'll take it from there, thanks and have a good day.

WTF!?!?!?!

I called my benefits counselor, he told me no such thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He said that none of my claims are decided and that they've only been at the Philly VARO since Dec. 15th.  He said it is showing him that they are reviewing the evidence and exams, and trying to see if they need to order exams for any of the claims that don't have current or recent exams.

Oh, ok, I understand that the VARO is a wormhole and who knows when or where your claim may land.

Makes me feel like the butt of some epic inter-galactic joke!!!  GGGGGggRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

A trip to your RO VSO main office might be in order. Find out when the MFIC is in, make an appointment to see him. DAV is usually pretty tight with the VA Rating Dept, DAV NFIC should be able to get this squared away.

You may want to do a 2fer, try to get an appointment to view your C-File while your already there, or maybe that let you do it as a walk-in. Doubt it but worth a try. You really need to see what Evidence is in that C-File.

Semper Fi

Gastone,

It's funny, tho, that the DAV said one thing, but the benefits counselor told me something else.  And what benefit counselor said matches what ebennies is showing me.

I have a copy of my C-file up to July of this year.  I was planning on ordering the next 6 months of it in the new year. 

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but all we need for SC is to have a STR showing that we mentioned what ever the issue is, and not neccessarily DX or treatment? For example I mentioned numbness in my feet and shooting pain down my legs and buttox while being seen for back pain, but wasn't treated for the sciatica symptoms.

And secondary conditions don't need to be in the STR at all, such as the sciatica mentioned above?

Thanks, Gastone.  I will call the Philly VARO and see what's up.  Are the reps at the VARO normally decent to speak with?

Semper Fi.

Andyman

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Andyman,
That is totally crazy. When I had the DAV representing me, they would be given the decision letters/SOC first. I was told it had to do with something like quality control, but it has been a few years. I seemed to always get my official VA rating in the mail about a month before ever receiving the DAV's paraphrased version.

The VARO reps I talked to seemed to be just regular people like us. I went to my VARO, signed in, waited for a little while, and then did get to speak with a VA rep. I also did the same to speak with a DAV rep, too, shortly after talking with the VA rep.

I hope your benefits counselor is correct.

If the regional office is close by schedule an appointment is my suggestion.  Remember that this claim is most important to you.  It affects your life not the VSO's.  

I'm not here to bad mouth any service organization but if you don't like the representation you are getting then maybe you need to rethink your strategy a bit.  

The three things needed to get a claim service connected:

1   an injury or illness that happened in service documented by service medical records.

2  symptoms and documented medical treatment/history of the problem

3. A medical nexus bridging the two together using medical rationale.   

one note:  if you had a pre existing injury or illness before service the question becomes whether it was aggravated or worsened by your service.  & Still needing to meet the above three requirements.

• HadIt.com Elder

Andy

I believe I'd revoke that DAV...ASAP.

.....................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

I ain't heard a word from my DAV  so I been thinking about getting his POA Revoked.  Just handle my claim myself..if I need a attorney I'll hire a good one One that's for the veteran....my problem is getting one that don't really care how much retro I got coming  but just to wants to help a veteran.

..........Buck