• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• fundraising.jpegGive a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
Andyman73

WTF, over!?!

Question

Got a call earlier this morning from the DAV, who I mistakenly made my POA.  I emailed them a month ago about my claim status, since ebennies was showing prep for decision and that the DAV had recommended a decision.  So I waited till now, to hear from them.

Man told me that the VA has denied all my claims!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I ask which ones, he said there is a bunch of stuff "in here".  He said my jaw condition is denied, Oh??? I have half a dozen treatment records from both the medical and the dental side, clearly showing treatment in service.  He said it doesn't show SC????????????  Then what does?

I ask when did this happen? He said November 23rd!!!!!!!!! Oh???? I haven't seen or heard anything from the VA and ebennefits stiill showing prep for decision.  He said he will print out the letter and mail it to me today.  Said when I get it, to go through my STR and find every instance of treatment or any mention of my contentions.

Said my MH was denied due to same.  I said it was filed as secondary to chronic pain.  Said I sent in a boat load of evidence showing over 20 years of pain and related prescriptions from in service and post service VA treatment.  Said I need to have my VA MH write a letter stating that he DX my MDD due to chronic pain.  I said doesn't the VA only take the word of the examining MH dr?  He said I still need to  get that letter. 

I told him just send me the letter and I'll take it from there, thanks and have a good day.

WTF!?!?!?!

I called my benefits counselor, he told me no such thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He said that none of my claims are decided and that they've only been at the Philly VARO since Dec. 15th.  He said it is showing him that they are reviewing the evidence and exams, and trying to see if they need to order exams for any of the claims that don't have current or recent exams.

Oh, ok, I understand that the VARO is a wormhole and who knows when or where your claim may land.

Makes me feel like the butt of some epic inter-galactic joke!!!  GGGGGggRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

I ain't heard a word from my DAV  so I been thinking about getting his POA Revoked.  Just handle my claim myself..if I need a attorney I'll hire a good one One that's for the veteran....my problem is getting one that don't really care how much retro I got coming  but just to wants to help a veteran.

..........Buck

Sorry to hear of what you are going thru. One quick note, is that you must be Treated or Diagnosed for a condition while in Service, not just your words on the exit exam. Also, the VA will always ask for a VA Doc to Diagnose and Treat MH conditions, we all know that on here. You cant wake up one day and say a New Diagnoses of PTSD is due to my Neck hurting, just an example, as I had a Vet that I was helping try this, and boy the VA denied SC in about 2 Mins. Just make sure that, DRs Diagnoses, VA Treatment and Your STR mach completely to what you are filing for. Physical Evidence is Evidence, no matter what C&P Doc, or VA says, Evidence that can be Touched and Read will always win in the End. Just try to calm down and relax. Good luck and Keep us posted. God Bless and hope you have a Happy New Year!!!

• Like 4

Andyman

You make a good case for the many people who say your VSO is not your friend...he works for the enemy, when he gets "free rent" at the Regional office/ VAMC's.  We know there is no such thing as "free rent" so the DAV has sold you out to pay their rent.   My DAV guy conviently "sat on" my appeal for about 18 months before sending it to the BVA.  I sure could have used money 18 months earlier by not having a VSO, when I have to do all their work for them anyway.   

Navy,  

Gee, I wish I had half  the people skills you have.  You reek of compassion and that is great.  

• Like 3

Buck,

I will be revoking their POA ASAP!  Haven't done one single thing for me, that I'm aware of, beyond recommending a claim decision that resulted in "denied everything".

Navy04,

While the sleep issues and shoulder was only mentioned on a health questionaire, the sciatica symptoms were mentioned during visits to the medical clinic to be treated for back pain. 

And I filed the secondary depression a few months after my VA MH dr DXd me with MDD.  And for that I submitted copies of all STRs showing treatment for pain in my back, knees and feet, during AD and at the VA afterwards.  I also showed where I was prescribed various pain meds during each visit as well.  And I sent a copy of the complete VA prescription list showing the NSAIDs I was prescribed, and how often they were refilled.

I was able to regain some level of calmness after speaking with my benefits counselor and Peggy, both confirmed that my current claims are still open.

broncovet,

I have only contacted the DAV twice, and both times they wanted me to do something before they would do anything for me.  Hmmm...I can do that with out them just as easily.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By GeekySquid
      So, as some know I have been having a little war with the VA and my VSO, the American Legion, about getting my DBQ's.
      So today I went to the VSO's office in the VARO building during their "walk in" hours since I could not get them to give me an appointment.
      On the door was as sign saying the office was closed for the week for training and left the 800 number for Washington DC office.
      I knock on the door anyway. Two ladies answer.
      Tell them what I want and that I need them to do it today.
      They invite me into the office.
      I hand them a typed sheet with the Dates and Dr's of my C&P's and a list of documents for each one that I need.
      The first lady says she doesn't know why I am there. The second lady says she will help me. The first lady says show me how we do this.
      Okay
      I tell them again what I want and the 2nd lady says why do you want to file a NOD, I tell her. She says you don't need these files to file an appeal.......The VA already has them. I tell her I need to know exactly what the DBQ says and what the letters to and from VA says. I also need the code sheets as they existed at each point for each approved and denied C&P.
      She tells me no i don't and if I insist on filing a NOD I should just file an HLR.. I told her no, that would not work for this and the HLR results are not typically veteran friendly.
      She then spends 20 minutes more telling me that I need to listen to her because veterans don't know what they want and don't know anything about the VA and how to win their claim.
      She then says "We work for the VA not for you, and the VA knows what it is doing".
      this of course makes me mad and I say to her " I am asking you to get me these files. nothing more. I have heard your opinion and all you need to do is get me copies of these files." She then starts in again trying to convince me not to file.
      I get more insistent and tell her that i heard her but I expect her to do exactly as I requested, nothing more.
      She then says "Well you don't need those files so let me file the NOD" I tell her NO. Resoundingly empathically NO>
      She then tells me I know how to file a NOD. She then remembers I am filing a CUE and says "you shouldn't file a CUE because you will never win and then the VA will be mad at you"......
      Just f'ing wow.
      Then I tell her once again to do what I asked her to do and to stop trying to dissuade me from what I want. I tell her she is wasting her time and mine and that all I want is her to get those documents.
      She then yells to the other woman to get "Bill".  Man comes in and says "those are VA files you don't get to have them".
      I tell him he is wrong and ask who he is. He refuses to answer. I look at woman 2 and say Please tell me your full name so I have a record. She wants to know why. I tell her point blank, that the next time I speak to AL in DC I am going to reference her and what she has said and not done. I then look at "Bill" and ask his name. He tells me 'you don't need to know that". I tell him I do because saying "Bill from AL means nothing to anyone". He snaps back 'I don't work for AL I work for VFW".
      I ask him why he is sticking his nose into an AL situation? He gets mad and leaves.
      She writes down her name, at least I think it is her name, date and time .
      Then says all she is going to do is fill out a FOIA.  At this point I decide to let her do that and get a copy to submit with my complaint to the AL.
       She then asks me what I want. Types that I want my C-file and the files on the attached sheet, prints it, shoves it at me and says to Sign it. I tell her no it is not accurate and ask for a pen and write explicitly what  I want.
      She literally tries to argue with me.
      I tell her to stop arguing and write the FOIA the way I tell her.
      She writes it wrong in her own phrasing and i made her redo it.
      Then I made her add Time is of the essence on the form.
      When she handed it to me. I initialed before and after the typing and drew a line threw the blank space.
      She gasped and asked why I did that. I said "its blank space and anyone could add words to that blank space. She then started to say, and got half way through saying
      'I needed to put more stuff...." and then shut up as she realized she was admitting to falsifying a FOIA over my signature.

I am not sure which is worse, having the people with my POA try and screw me over or having the VA which is supposed to be on my side try and Screw me over.

• By Kihr
      How much can they see, how much can they tell me?  I seem to get almost nothing but cryptic information from my VSO.  Are they restricted from telling information to me while the claim is not yet complete?  Or is it possible that she withholds the information having been burned by changes in the past?
    • By Kihr
      I submitted my claim 9/24, I had the C&P exams on 11/6, and I am still waiting.  I talked to my VSO today and she said I was "Awaiting adjudication" and that it could be several more months and I may need more exams.  I know the VA is a long process, but it has been 10 months already and I am not sure what "awaiting adjudication" means.  The VSO seemed a little annoyed, I call about 1 time a month, it just is frustrating.  I don't know why a claim should take 10 months, I know I have read about appeals taking years so I shouldn't complain.  I just feel that 10 months is an unreasonable amount of time to be "months away"  
    • By 31BHayes
      So I started my "Fully Developed Claim" 02/08/2019 had my VA Comp and Pen Exam 03/18/2019 . My original completion date was 08/05/2019. Then after my Exam 05/03/2019.
      This is my story I've injured both knees, both feet and back while serving In the Army in 2017. progressively my back gave out on me. Now I'm young 25 years, can't work and didn't know about my options until just recently. Lucky for me I was within my year of separation so I got a VSO to work with me and my claim. Still waiting if it's an approval or denial, however today Ebenefits updated status from "Pending of Decision" to "Pending Decision Approval. With a new estimated date 04/30/2019. What happens next. Will I know I'm approved before notification in the mail?
    • By crawma
      My claim has been bounced around in a million directions (from what I read/hear is normal) but on 28 August, my claim moved to "pending decision approval" I had called the VA office about the status of it since eBenefits was not working. The guy was nice and told me that this is usually the quicker part of the claim that a decision was made but it was going to require 2 supervisor signatures and was usually a 1-2 day turn around UNLESS they find an error.
      For background purposes, my claim was started in February 2018, I had 23 different conditions claimed, by May 2018 I had completed 4 exams and it had been handed to the VA. My stuff went all the way to "preparation for decision" June 20th but then on July 19th it was kicked back to "initial review" and they wanted more exams. I never actually did the exams LHI essentially pulled the information out of my already completed exams and resent it to them. August my claim moved to "gathering evidence" and the VA said that LHI had still not provided them with my documents, I did call LHI multiple times where I was assured they had. I finally called the VA regional office directly where a person looked into everything and told me that LHI did submit them but the VA system did not "recognize" the files and a ticket with the IT department was submitted. On 7 August my claim moved to "preparation for decision" again.
      So fast forward today.... 30 August 2018. I suddenly show "documents past due" and decided to just call the office directly again because my gut was telling me it was not something due on my part. Apparently one of the supervisors put in a request for three more specialty exams, my soul was officially crushed. 
      My question is, how normal is this and has anyone else similarly experienced this with the VA process? If so how far out were you "extended" when you had new exams? Also, I really really really need 3 of my medications and that is the thing that bothers me the most, one of them through my husbands insurance is still $200 a month. 
  • Ads

• Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines