VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NOD Do you see a doubt; maybe?

Rate this question

vietvet

Question

Fellow Vets, happy new year

Total 70% (seeking IU)

10% bilaterals of (right and left) upper and (right and left) lower diabetic neuropathies

20% diabetes

30% ptsd with depression   (prescribed meds not permitted while driving Postal vehicle)

10% tinnitus; 0% hearing

Was a letter carrier 17 years, out 5 years now, no work 

Please be the judge of this statements by the C&P doc

"He can do moderate work with his diabetes."

"He would however have difficulty using his fine motor skills, including touch sensations; has hand weakness."

Rater denied me stating I had not shown I was not unemployable...... Currently seeing a veteran rep and have prepared a NOD.

Any thoughts...

6 answers to this question

Ever gone in for VR&E?  See if you can get an exception from the 12 year limit due to severe disability (if its needed)....what dates were the ratings given?  If some of the disabilities were recently awarded, they might also let you in for them. 

In VR&E, they will evaluate your ability to work.  This is the first step toward showing unemployability.  If they find you capable of work, they will also help to get you education and a job.  I'm working on getting into this now (I'm over 55).

Edited by pwrslm

Your file needs a statement from a doctor, preferrably, that you are unemployable due to SC conditions.  Do you have that?  If so, you should appeal.  If not, appeal anyway, and see if you can get a doc to say that.  It could be as simple as asking your doc to state that in your records.  

Do you get social security disability?  If so, what conditions did SS rate you as disabled on?  Are they service connected?   A Social Security disability on conditions which are service connected makes your IU case very strong.  VA would have to give a good reasons and bases as to why SS says you are disabled due to sc conditions but VA says no.  

There is a gap between unemployed and unemployable.  People can get unemployed for many reasons, some of which have nothing to do with health and everything to do with company layoffs. All unemployable people will be unemployed, but not all unemployed are unemployable.  

Edited by broncovet

Thank you guys. I have all paperwork including MD's letter. My VSO thinks perhaps that the examiner contradicted

herself by stating "He could do moderate work with his diabetes, but would have difficulty using

his fine motor skills including touch sensations."Could this be a doubt in my favor?

"He would however have difficulty using his fine motor skills, including touch sensations; has hand weakness."

That factor was one reason why SSDI awarded my husband for a stroke.He also had upper extremity weakness and neuropathy that prevented him from using a PC (also was found by Voc Rehab as unfeasible to continue his college program)and he could hardly use a phone.

He had been a licensed PHVAC operator in the past and tried to fix a minor problem on our  heater when it broke but could not hold the tools properly and broke the heater worse. I gave SSDI testimony on that and probably submitted the heater bill.(1993)

If one cannot use their hands in a normal way,it certainly hinders their employability.

"30% ptsd with depression   (prescribed meds not permitted while driving Postal vehicle)"

The 30% sounds way too low to me if the meds caused you to be unable to drive.

"Was a letter carrier 17 years, out 5 years now, no work"

SSDI has a cut off for application.I suggest you go to the SSA web site under Social Securiry Disability and see if you are eligible and I belive you can begin that process to apply on line at their site.