VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SSDI reveiw

Rate this question

drewski84

Question

I'm 70% TDIU P&T with no further reviews. I was granted SSDI before I was granted TDIU P&T. Now my question is; I have a review for my SSDI.. How does this work? Do I tell them I'm now 100% Permanent & Total (PTSD) and that I cannot not work period? Now I'm  back in the stage once again where I'm freaking out that I can lose my SSDI which would be devastating! Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks all!

Edited by drewski84

SSDI and VA are two different programs, as you well know.

If the Disability that qualifies you for VA is the same as that which was documented for SSDI, then I don't see a problem.  You just provide a copy of the VA decision to the SSA when asked.

If not, then you'll have to "reprove" the disability still exists and still prevents you from work.  in this case, the VA disability documentation may help to show that you can  not work in ANY field of endeavor.

You see, you can be totally disabled for VA purposes, and still not meet the SSDI, and vice versa.

SSDI and VA are two different programs, as you well know.

If the Disability that qualifies you for VA is the same as that which was documented for SSDI, then I don't see a problem.  You just provide a copy of the VA decision to the SSA when asked.

If not, then you'll have to "reprove" the disability still exists and still prevents you from work.  in this case, the VA disability documentation may help to show that you can  not work in ANY field of endeavor.

You see, you can be totally disabled for VA purposes, and still not meet the SSDI, and vice versa.

IMO, don't sweat it.  Just answer the questions on the review honestly and send a copy of VA award letter to the SSDI reviewer.  Since you haven't worked at all and can't do any job.  The SSA will probably continue your SSDI.  The SSA reviews SSDI claims ever one, three, & seven years.  This depends on the likelyhood of improvement in your condition.  They probably won't review your SSDI but, ever seven years.  Especially, if you provide a copy of your award letter from the VA stating 100% P&T.  Sleep well.

• HadIt.com Elder

Texas marine is on to something here. SSDI has a wounded warrior program that gives 100 percent P and T vets advanced decisions only and does not have any effect on their decisions. We did a show on this subject a few weeks ago. Now show them your information and pay close attention to the P and T issues.

You should be OK but I know one Hadit Member who is now in the fight of his life.

I think we all should contact our congressional folks and ask them to bring the VA and SSA into compliance as these two disability systems have different criteria for total disability and one is openly allowed to discriminate against a person based on age. If you are under 50 the SSA doesn't consider advanced age. and 50 to 53 is advanced age. 

My SSDI  is the same as my SC disabilities. It is very scary that one person doing a review on me one time could result in a crushing financial blow. IT's very upsetting and very hard to believe that these systems don't work together at some points. I am a young vet, that keeps a very good appearance. So it is nerve wrecking that some joker from SSDI that knows little to nothing about my conditions could say I'm fine. Then make me get a lawyer and win the appeal. All while losing my credit, my house in the meantime. Then getting back pay only to have the snake of a lawyer taking 25% of it! Our systems need some serious help.

Edited by drewski84

I think you're golden, 84.  The VA says you still have the PTSD and that it is disabling.  SSDI has already disabled you ("no, he can't work") for the same reason.  They are just calling you in to review your situation, which "has not fundamentally changed."

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:39 PM, MPsgt said:

IMO, don't sweat it.  Just answer the questions on the review honestly and send a copy of VA award letter to the SSDI reviewer.  Since you haven't worked at all and can't do any job.  The SSA will probably continue your SSDI.  The SSA reviews SSDI claims ever one, three, & seven years.  This depends on the likelyhood of improvement in your condition.  They probably won't review your SSDI but, ever seven years.  Especially, if you provide a copy of your award letter from the VA stating 100% P&T.  Sleep well.

MPSgt hit it on the head.  Don't worry, things are gonna be alright.