VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about school age child benefits

Rate this question

flores97

Question

First, I hope everyone had a great New Years Day. I have two children over age 18 and still in school. I have submitted paperwork proving one is in college, the other in senior year of high school. My question is, has anyone heard that if you submit dependent requests through ebenefits, that you will automatically receive the monthly increase on your next monthly check, with backpay being done whenever they get to your claim? I read that on one of the Vantage blogs, and was wondering if anyone knows for sure. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Allison had wanted dependents claims to be expiditied.  After all, no "decision" is necessary.  You either have dependents or not, you either have the minimum 30 percent or not.  She wanted Vets to be able to call and "add  a dependent" and for it to be processed immediately, like in the real (non VA) world.  I dont think it ever really happened, at least not permanently, but it does seem there is progress.    

I have been trying to get dependent compensation since 2002, and VA is whining they did not get my documentation in time, and I happen to know it was on my application in 2002.  

The VA uses dependendents as still another excuse to delay or deny, Im sorry to say.  You could be one of the lucky ones, so go ahead and try, calling or ebenefits, and I hope you get better results than I did.  

Broncovet, thank you for the response, and I'm sorry it has taken so long for your own claim, that is pure incompetence! What you stated is completely true, either we have dependents or we don't, it shouldnt be that difficult to verify. Of course, when there is only one individual per RO to work dependency claims because everyone else has been pulled, (at least thats the latest excuse), then i guess a year or two to add dependents is warp speed. I will go ahead and submit the information through ebenefits tomorrow(if its working), and see what happens. I will keep everyone updated on the status.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

One thing the VA excels at is sending you a letter telling you when your child dependent is scheduled to fall off due to age and requesting you to submit documentation if they are still in school.

The VA does not come right out and tell you that ebenefits is significantly faster than submitting hard copies.

My child was still attending high school and I sent in the paper via mail. Four months later, nothing. I called Peggy and they told me to send it via ebenefits. It took about five or six weeks, but was approved and the paper submission was cancelled.

Because I am 100% P&T, when my daughter began college she began receiving Ch 35 education benefits. The VA cancelled my dependency for her and explained it as an either/or situation stating only one can be given. I wanted to let you know about this, just in case you get to 100% P&T or TDIU at some point while your children are still college age.

Excellent information, thank you Vync! I will submit via Ebenefits immediately (if/when site is up, insert sarcastic laughter here), but I really appreciate your response, exactly what I was hoping to hear. Four months would be great compared to the average.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I hope it works out!

Thank you, Vync! I noticed when I was trying to update my daughters school info, it did not list college. There were three selections:high school, post secondary school, and home school. Post secondary, that is not college, is it, or am i mistaken? I was thinking that would be an on post elementary school. Of course, im trying to do all of this on my phone as computer is down, so maybe thats the problem. I was able to update my sons, as he is senior in high school. Anyone know what "post secondary" would be, thanks in advance