VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

hypertension

Rate this question

Palma114

Question

I have a DRO hearing in about 3 weeks on my hypertension for 10% that was denied about a year ago. DAV rep tells me that I wont get 10%, because right now or for the last 7 yrs it's been somewhat controlled by medications, before I filed the claim and before I started on medications it were 212/103, 180/86, 161/76, 161/88, 160/91, 165/96, 151/99, 150/90, 161/94.

I seen this the other day, I think I'm going to use it, Reference: U.S. Court Of Appeals For Veterans Claims, No. 11-2704, David J. Jones V. Eric K. Shinseki 10/26/12, VA cannot rate you on the new improved version of yourself after the beneficial effects of the medications have had their desired effects. Any opinions or other helpful information.

11 hours ago, jbasser said:

Welcome to my world. You have Hypertensive heart disease. Now the day after you win your DRO decision, send the claim in for Hypertensive heart disease. Put the enlarged heart or cardiomegaly diagnosis on the file or have your rep do it and bring it out at the DRO hearing.

What is the issue with the service connection?  Why did the deny it?

J

Hey jBasser,

I am service connected for hypertension, and my chronic kidney disease is pending DRO hearing, already done a C & P for kidney, and examiner did state that my hypertension more likely cause my CKD.

But what I am not understanding is, how do I tie my Cardiomegaly or enlarge heart, that was noted at a VAMC colon exam in 2011 into my claim during my DRO hearing in about 3 wks, I could not find anything of secondary to connect it to.

Your Thoughts

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
10 hours ago, Hamslice said:

Vync,

After I came back from Iraq in 2004, I had a BP reading of 158/10? and was ordered to take corrective action or be seperated. I immedeatly went to my new Internal Medicine doc and the nurse recorded a 179/109 BP reading and was put on HBP medicine.  So, I know I have those two readings documented.  I will have to see if I have more than two.  My BP readings where within normal range after meds.

In 2009, after leaving the service I was SC'd for HBP from the above evidence at 0%.

I guess I will throw it in my claim and see what happens.

Thanks,

Hamslice

Hey Hamslice,
It might be better to open a separate topic, as Palma's topic includes other concerns like kidneys. I don't want to hijack his topic.

If the VA was your medical provider, you should be able to look up the BP values on my health evet's blue button feature. Don't forget Note(1) in the rating criteria!

• HadIt.com Elder
9 hours ago, Palma114 said:

Hey jBasser,

I am service connected for hypertension, and my chronic kidney disease is pending DRO hearing, already done a C & P for kidney, and examiner did state that my hypertension more likely cause my CKD.

But what I am not understanding is, how do I tie my Cardiomegaly or enlarge heart, that was noted at a VAMC colon exam in 2011 into my claim during my DRO hearing in about 3 wks, I could not find anything of secondary to connect it to.

Your Thoughts

Palma, Your High Blood Pressure has already had effects on your kidneys. Your heart works like this.

It is a 4 chambered pump that pumps continuous at 50 to 80 beats per minute (AVG). This pump never stops. something causes the piping system to constrict of slow the flow so your pump starts to work harder. The harder the work the higher the blood pressure. left uncontrolled the heart is in workout mode being the muscle it is, it grows bigger and thicker. The pressure is still there so the receiving end of the pump has too much pressure and that would be the kidneys and your other organs. It then flows back through the system and if untreated the pump fails and just starts to flap uncontrollably resulting in congestive heart failure.

What I have questions about is this issue. Who is treating your BP issues. How did they find out about the Kidneys? Didn't they even mention the Heart? You need to ask them straight up to check your heart and if you can get outside of the VA for an opinion by George do so.  I don't like the path the VA is taking you down. The Xray evidence of the enlarged heart and a report showing cardiomegaly is all you need to file a claim.

Hang in there.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

+1 Jbasser!

22 hours ago, jbasser said:
26 minutes ago, jbasser said:

Palma, Your High Blood Pressure has already had effects on your kidneys. Your heart works like this.

It is a 4 chambered pump that pumps continuous at 50 to 80 beats per minute (AVG). This pump never stops. something causes the piping system to constrict of slow the flow so your pump starts to work harder. The harder the work the higher the blood pressure. left uncontrolled the heart is in workout mode being the muscle it is, it grows bigger and thicker. The pressure is still there so the receiving end of the pump has too much pressure and that would be the kidneys and your other organs. It then flows back through the system and if untreated the pump fails and just starts to flap uncontrollably resulting in congestive heart failure.

What I have questions about is this issue. Who is treating your BP issues. How did they find out about the Kidneys? Didn't they even mention the Heart? You need to ask them straight up to check your heart and if you can get outside of the VA for an opinion by George do so.  I don't like the path the VA is taking you down. The Xray evidence of the enlarged heart and a report showing cardiomegaly is all you need to file a claim.

Hang in there.

Welcome to my world. You have Hypertensive heart disease. Now the day after you win your DRO decision, send the claim in for Hypertensive heart disease. Put the enlarged heart or cardiomegaly diagnosis on the file or have your rep do it and bring it out at the DRO hearing.

What is the issue with the service connection?  Why did the deny it?

J

jBasser,

I noticed on the chronic kidney disease secondary to hypertension C & P Exam, the examiner answered no, to this question: Is their a Markedly decreased function of kidney or other organ systems, especially CARDIOVASCULAR.

I believe my cardiomegaly falls right into that category.

your thoughts

Hamslice has a great point that it would/will cost VA money if everone does that, in regards to High Blood Pressure, controlled by medication.    However, the VA knows only about 20 percent or less of claimants file an appeal.   So, the VA simply gets away with it, on the 80 percent who dont appeal.  

I mean, cant you see it now, if this went the other way?:

Dear Veteran

We are denying your claim for a lost leg, becuase you seem to be getting along just fine with a wooden leg.  

Further, we also decided to deny your TBI claim because, you also seem to be getting along just fine living as a vegetable, and dont need your leg, wooden or otherwise any more.  Also, your Atavan and other medications make it look like you should be able to do sedentary work, as even carrots can get a job in the produce section of any grocery store.    Since you can not speak, you have to be getting along better with your spouse so we decided to reduce your PTSD to zero percent as well.  

Also, since your are almost dead and you cant read this as a vegetable, we will go ahead and deny your spouse DIC to save work for overworked VA emplooyees.  

Better yet, we decided to deny your neighbors, too, because they are better off than you are, so they cant possibly deserve benefits either.   In fact, we decided to deny all the Veterans not only in your county, but in your state as well, as this will save lots of work for overworked VA employees and reinstatement of VA executive bonuses, wrongly denied by Veterans who actually expect VA employees to do their job.  

Edited by broncovet