VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Audiologist never conducted a word discrimination test

Rate this question

All-American Airman

Question

Hello everyone, I was rated at 10% for tinnutis due to being an F-16 Aircraft mechanic and claimed hearing loss in my initial claim. I was given the exam by

an Audiologist, but it was only the test to determine the loss of hearing with the clicker and listening for the tone.

They were also very high and noticeable at the start of the tones threshold.

In other words, there were no tones that I could barely hear and then the gradual increase like in the occupational health hearing exams in the military. 

Can anyone else give some feedback or insight.

She also did not conduct a word discrimination test either. I remember reading the award letter and saying to my self she never did that. 

Does this make the exam null and void?

Thank you to all the contributors to this forum who are helping, teaching and empowering Veterans with this knowledge.

Was this a C & P exam for HL? If it was you should file a NOD, they have to give you a complete audio test to determine HL and the word discrimination is a part of it. There is no test for tinnitus, they probably rated you from the MOS list they use to determine your risk of HL.

• HadIt.com Elder

Can you post your decision and bases of there decision?

black out any your name and SS # any personal information that may identify you.

was this a C&P Exam for rating purposes?

.................Buck

The speech discrimination test is to be made for c and p exams:

4.85 Evaluation of hearing impairment.

(a) An examination for hearing impairment for VA purposes must be conducted by a state-licensed audiologist and must include a controlled speech discrimination test (Maryland CNC) and a puretone audiometry test. Examinations will be conducted without the use of hearing aids.
Source:  

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.85

If your c and p exam did not include the same, then you need to challenge the exam on this bases in your appeal.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I think when the VA Test your Hearing rather for a C&P or just that the veteran wants his hearing checked...They always do all the testing including the Matyland  CNC word Discrimination.

Usually if a veteran has been Hospitalized with the VA for over 5 day period  I think there required to test the veterans hearing...they did me that way years ago.  it may be different now? 

For a C&P a ENT usually does the Exam but the VA Audiologist will do the Hearing test & word discrimination and the  VA ENT  Dr will  perform the exam after.  and just hope and pray you get a vet friendly Dr.

............Buck

9 hours ago, boomer2 said:

Was this a C & P exam for HL? If it was you should file a NOD, they have to give you a complete audio test to determine HL and the word discrimination is a part of it. There is no test for tinnitus, they probably rated you from the MOS list they use to determine your risk of HL.

This was a C&P exam for hearing loss claim and was conducted through a QTC clinic. I  claimed tinnutis and was awarded due to the career field. I will file an NOD before my time is up since the test was bogus due to not being complete without the word discrimination test. Thank you.

You need an IME audio exam, which you can get.  Audio exams are relatively easy to get, almost always free.  "Audio exams" are the way hearing aids are sold. Make no mistake:  Audiologists in private practice make almost all their money on the sale of hearing aids.    No audio exam, no sale.  So most private audio exams offer them free.   I get things in the mail, and even calls from local audiologists office offering a free audio exam, since Im in a data base of the hearing impaired.    Its like test driving a car.  Most dealers in my area are more than happy to let you test drive a car as long as you have a drivers license, and satisfactory credit, and you simply ask them.  

Contact a local private audiologist.  Ask him or her if (s)he is familiar with the Maryland CNC test, that the VA requires this test be done.    You can explain that you are under VA care, but, unfortunately, VA hired private audiologists unfamiliar with Maryland CNC speech discrimination test requirement.  Do not lie to your audiologist, but you can say you will ask "fee bases" to pay for hearing aids since the VA hired an incompent audiologist unfamiliar with 38 CFR 4.85 requirement a speech discrimination test be done.   I dont know if fee basis will pay for your hearing aids, but you can be a sort of whistle blower that VA is hiring incompetent audiologists unfamiliar with regs to do hearing exams.  

Keep calling until you find a local audio familiar with the Maryland CNC test.  It may not be that many audiologists.  Then schedule you for a hearing loss (audio exam) and simply ask for a copy.  Ask the audiologist to give a professional opinion on the cause of your hearing loss, explaining your military noise exposure.    You may need to listen to a "sales presentation" about why you should buy that company's hearing aids.  

ASK the audiologist to word it exactly like this:  The cause of this patients hearing loss is at least as likely as not from noise exposure while in military servie (now list noise exposure, such as aircraft, guns, bombs, etc).

If you get an acceptable exam, and you should if your hearing loss is severe enough, then submit that to VA as "new evidence", but do that in the appeal period, assuming you get denied.  

Edited by broncovet