VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Decide My Claim - take it back! please take it back!

Rate this question

OffGridGrunt

Question

Okay so recently I was looking at my unchanging claims status and noticed the "Decide My Claim" button. I called my VSO (the DAV) and asked about the button and if I could/should push it. My VSO told me that since all the DBQs were in there was no reason not to - so I did. I now believe this was a big mistake. I had initiated "decide my claim" option prior to looking at the DBQs that were in my medical record. One of my DBQs was not what I had expected it to be and now I'd really like to put in new/more documentation as it seems that the only evidence to be considered for my claim is the DBQ/C&P which was guided by out dated and inaccurate information. 

The first question/issue I need to tackle is whether or not I can open my claim back up for evidence, and if I can how do I initiate this process. I am far less concerned about causing my claim to take longer to be decided as I am with it being the most complete and fully developed as I can. I am definitely feeling like I walked into this thoroughly unprepared and misguided as to what a fully developed claim really is; I'm learning though.

I am wondering/hoping there is some way for me to build a body of evidence to address and suppliment some troubles I see on the horizon after reading my DBQ - specifically in regards to my claim for a PTSD increase. In addition to adding specific treatment records that very clearly support my claim, I'm wondering if I am able to submit as evidence some sort of Statement of Case letter.

I've come to realize that when I initiated this claims process I was very naive and had no idea what a fully developed claim was. I'm hoping that I can rectify this situation before my claim goes to some sort of decision.

Any direction and/or assistance in turning this around and reopening things so that I can correct my mistakes would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input or direction you may have,

OGG

------ Addendum ----------

So after some significant research online I seemed to have found many of the answers I was looking for. The first thing I've found is that I've been doing a horrible job representing myself and I have been doing a significant injustice to the claims I've submitted over the years. It is now so very clear why I've struggled so much getting even the most modest rating for issues that I should have had service connected years ago. I was simply saying "hey check me for this" and letting the VA do the rest. I had no concept of forming my own case and gathering my own evidence to support my claims. This is exactly why I've been stuck at a rating of 30% for PTSD when I should have easily rated 70% or higher. I now see why claims that should have been no problem and easily proved amounted to nothing and ended in denial after denial. I finally get it. I know what I have to do on my end of things and I now see that it is MY responsibility to insure that a proper accounting of all the facts takes place. I really feel like a dunce but at the same time relieved.

Now I simply need to figure out how to bring my current claim back into the gathering evidence phase so that I can do the work that I now realize I need to do. I'm actually lucky because I really enjoy doing this type of thing, I just never realized that I was in fact the one who was supposed to be doing it!

Edited by OffGridGrunt
Did some research, realized I've been blind

1 answer to this question

Bumping the case off the FDC is easy.  Just submit a new claim.  They will combine it with the old one.  They have to consider the whole thing at that point before they make their decision.

This should open up your ability to submit new evidence.

Be aware that this will extend the length of time that they take to complete your claim, probably by several months, but maybe longer.  I note that ever action made has bumped the case another month, so the more often you add evidence, figure 1 month for them to get it, 1 month for them to think about it, and 1 month for them to continue to decision phase.  This isn't the VA Statistics, this is just my opinion.

Other than that, just mail in a VBA Form 21-4138.  This form allows you to make a statement on the case, and you add attachments to the form if you have new evidence to submit.  Same delays apply as above.

I only have the eastern addy, there is another one for western states but I do think that both of them do the same thing, this is where to mail it;

Dept. of Veterans Affairs

Evidence intake Center

PO BOX 4444

Newnan, GA  30271-0020

Or you can fax it to

844-531-7818 (toll free)

248-524-4260 (local)

Edited by pwrslm