VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Armyfor9

Question

Rated 10% (SC) painful joints/Arthritis. When filed for increase unaware, but last week! diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Explains why my pain is severe. I need information. A condition caused or worsened by a SC condition is rated secondary to the SC condition. I don't know how to address acquiring after service a condition that aggravates existing SC condition. Am I stuck at 10% rating for painful joints or can I get compensation for the disabling pain either for effects on arthritis or as a secondary diagnosis? 

BTW I have  SC conditions (IBD,PTSD,Migraines) which are common with fibromyalgia,... still getting Fibromyalgia SC is unlikely. Fibromyalgia alone is painful, but co-existing with arthritis is unbearable. Is there precedent to allow increase above 10% or allow secondary diagnosis?  ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!! I'm in constant pain. My claim is in reviewing evidence and will be decided soon. Any good advice is appreciated. Thank You

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Armyfor9 said:

Rated 10% (SC) painful joints/Arthritis. When filed for increase unaware, but last week! diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Explains why my pain is severe. I need information. A condition caused or worsened by a SC condition is rated secondary to the SC condition. I don't know how to address acquiring after service a condition that aggravates existing SC condition. Am I stuck at 10% rating for painful joints or can I get compensation for the disabling pain either for effects on arthritis or as a secondary diagnosis? 

BTW I have  SC conditions (IBD,PTSD,Migraines) which are common with fibromyalgia,... still getting Fibromyalgia SC is unlikely. Fibromyalgia alone is painful, but co-existing with arthritis is unbearable. Is there precedent to allow increase above 10% or allow secondary diagnosis?  ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!! I'm in constant pain. My claim is in reviewing evidence and will be decided soon. Any good advice is appreciated. Thank You

First question for you is, do you have service in the Southwest Asia?  If so this will help:

• Qualifying undiagnosed illnesses or diagnosable chronic disability patterns, that appeared either during a qualifying period of active service or prior to December 31, 2016, must meet the following conditions: 
    • There must be no other cause for your disability or illness than service in the Southwest Asia theater of military operations.
    • your disability existed for 6 months or more, AND
    • If your disability or illness did not appear during active duty in the Southwest Asia theater of military operations, then it must have appeared prior to December 31, 2016, to a degree that is at least 10-percent disabling (for VA rating purposes).

This link will give you all of the information:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/claims-postservice-gulfwar.asp

This link will define the Southwest Asia/Gulf War service areas:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/military-service.asp

If you have service in the defined areas, then file a claim for Fibromyalgia under the environmental hazard due to gulf war service.  If you file a FDC claim on Ebenefits, there is an option when you add your disability to select the environmental hazard option from the pull down menu.  Just get a copy of the your diagnosis and upload it with your claim.

I hope this helps you. 

Edited by Punisher3A1
Added information/Spelling Error

I did not serve in Southwest Asia/Gulf War.  I am service connected for current "joint pain" due to arthritis.  I did have back strain after back strain in service and knee injury. I also had complaints of both hip and knee pain. With the arthritis after x-rays I would be told it was only mild to moderate. The 10% for pain was all they allowed. 

With this new diagnosis, it now makes sense why the disconnect between mild to moderate arthritis but unbearable pain. Is there any precedence to be rated at increased rate due to complicating SC condition by (so far) non-service connected condition?