VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Jimmer

Rate this question

Jimmer

Question

Hi Guys, I am hoping you can give me answer to my IU claim.  I recently was award 50% for PTSD, along with 60% for my eyes (particularly my left eye) and was bumped to 80%.  I was sent the forms to apply for IU.  I went to my eye doctor (who is board certified) and asked him to fill out another  "nexus "letter.  He is very familiar with the VA procedures, having worked at a navel hospital in the west.  He was surprised and said "aren't you IU already".  I told him no, that the V.A. had rated me 60%  for my eyes he nearly fell on the floor. He said "this is wrong, you should be at least 80%, they really screwed up".  So he write me two letters,  to include in the package for IU.  That was December 11, 2015.  I received the BBE January 9, 2016, stating they rating me to 100%.  They also said the following (and I quote)  "A clear and mistakable error (CUE) is found in the evaluation of bilateral macular degeneration and bilateral pseudophakia, rated as residuals of left eye injury, and a increase of 80% is established December 12, 2014."  A VSO person told me in 17 years he never seen where the VA openly admitted to a CUE.  He said I should "frame the letter".   Will I receive retro pay from the date as specified.  The first page says $2,906.83 ( I have no dependents) states as of Jan. 1, 2015.    Thanks for your input, and all your help.  I speak for others, we would be lost without your guidance and input  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

And even "Permanent & Total" is not permanent either. Absent fraud, the VA uses 5, 10, and 20 year protection periods. Basically 5 yrs means that the condition is stabilized and they would need hard proof to reduce you. 10 years protects SC status. 20 years protects the rating percentage.

20 hours ago, Jimmer said:

iceturkee, I did receive information on Chapter 35 benefits, and an application as well.  Do they, the VA , send out a letter telling you that you are permanent and total?  I can't seem to find that saying in my packet.  They have also sent me the application to secure a Commissary Card, and CHAMPVA benefits, and a bunch of other benefits as well.  They indicated I should contact the state to see if their is any reduction or elimination of state fees, property taxes, licenses, etc.  

your letter should state no more examinations plus give you info on applying for chapter 35 benefits. my letter didn't state i was p&t either.

On 1/11/2016 at 10:58 AM, Jimmer said:

iceturkee, I did receive information on Chapter 35 benefits, and an application as well.  Do they, the VA , send out a letter telling you that you are permanent and total?  I can't seem to find that saying in my packet.  They have also sent me the application to secure a Commissary Card, and CHAMPVA benefits, and a bunch of other benefits as well.  They indicated I should contact the state to see if their is any reduction or elimination of state fees, property taxes, licenses, etc.  

Jimmer,

I suggest that you log into ebenefits and then check documents (AB3 Commissary Letter).  In there you find Manage / Documents & Records / VA Letters, And there you can open and print copies of those letters.  NOTE: You cannot save these letters, ONLY print them to your printer.  They are encrypted.

Personally, I still have not received any formal Rating Letter, BUT at least my commissary letter clearly states  “…This total disability is considered permanent. You are not scheduled for future examinations….”  and points to the P&T.  Pay attention to the part about "...You are not scheduled for future exams..."

FWIW, I still have not received a formal Rating Letter but at least I now have something in print about P&T. Hoping the same or better for you...

Best wishes! And good luck!

Commissary Letter Altered for privacy.jpg

HorizontalMike,  Thanks for the info, and what the commissary letter looks like.  I will go to ebenefits and check documents.   I appreciate yours and all the other guys input.  You guys have been very helpful, and I certainly appreciated.