VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No more Xanax while taking Narcotics

Rate this topic

Is anyone else concerned (or angry) that the politicians decided that this was necessary, not the doctors? I just went in and talked to my doctor and he disagrees with this new medication policy. People are prescribed these medications because they are needed, not for fun. His only solution is to talk to my congressperson. Great. That's reassuring. What has anyone else heard?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply guys. I have tapered down from 5mg of xanax a day to 1.5mg per day. I am having withdrawals, the VA said they would help me with this but I am still waiting on them to respond. I have an appt with my civilian dr in the morning to see if he can help me.

Yep no more Xanax if you take pain killers as they are finding out this is what is overdosing veterans and civilians alike. I have left over Xanax and whenever I know I am not going to get a good night's sleep I won't take my pain meds and replace it with Xanax. I don't do this that much but I don't my PM doctor that unless they give me something to help me sleep I am going to keep taking it or whatever I have left. If they don't want me to start drinking they best give me something to help me sleep at night. I tried Melotonin, doesn't help whatsoever. I get sleepy but I cannot sleep.

I haven't tried that rpowell.  But I am on the 15mcg butrans patch.  I'm allowed up 50 mg of Percocet. Though my private doctor warned the same.  If a panic attack is ensuing replace one the doses of Percocet for a Xanax.

Some of the herbal teas have helped, but I still do take the sleep aids when it is bad.

Im sure you have probably tried but have you tried breathing and relaxation techniques while on either of the two? That approach has worked most times for me.  JMO

Edited by ArNG11
type o

ArNG11 the Panic Attacks are horrific when your in pain and they cannot be controlled, that is what makes them bad. I just deal with them but man getting no sleep or getting to bed so late 3-4am is getting old real quick. I may start drinking some wine coolers or half of bottle at night just to be able to go to sleep. I have good days and bad days but a lot of bad days. Its all good though because when the good days are here I sleep like a king..Yep a king on my king sized bed..LOL