VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Successful Sleep Apnea Secondary to PTSD

Rate this topic

OEF 21B

On Friday, January 15, 2016 at 6:47 AM, broncovet said:

Congratulations.  Im interested in the rationale your doc gave as his justifcation for sleep apnea secondary to PTSD.  While I have  no doubt there is a link, it would be great if you posted his rationale, as well as the reasons and bases for decisions, as this may help other Veterans who are also seeking OSA secondary to PTSD/MDD.  Thanks.

VA hates it when we are informed, and that is why I like it.

Hi Broncovet - Finally got the BWE (mine have all been white envelopes)...

- "Service connection for sleep apnea has been established as related to the service-connected disability of posttraumatic stress disorder."

- "We have assigned a 50 percent evaluation for your sleep apnea based on: Requires use of breathing asstance device such as a continuous airway pressure (CPAP) machine."

That's all it says.  The rest of it just mentiones what is required for a higher evaluation of 100%.  I think that using the wording of aggravated instead of caused, was the key for this...  My VA Psych said that PTSD doesn't CAUSE sleep apnea, in fact he said there was no known correlation that he was aware of.

Good luck!!

On January 15, 2016 at 6:41 AM, OEF 21B said:

Thanks everyone!

I was a little leary of using the Veterans Evaulation Services (VES), but both of my C&P's (PTSD increase and Sleep Apnea) were schedule within a month and the doctors for each C&P were very familiar with what the VA is looking for with regard to claims.

I'm defenitly NOT an expert in getting service connected for Sleep Apnea secondary to PTSD, but I know this has been a hot topic around here.  My claim was with the Waco Regional Office and I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have.

Semper Fi

Wow this from the Waco office? Surprising but heh great news though.

OEF 21B,

I feel your pain on your Psych Dr saying there is no connection between PTSD and SA. I nicely told her in one of our meetings that I have seen some instances of it connected.  Either way, I may bring it up again Monday when I go see her and suggest the "aggravated" instead of "caused" route. (Insert Jim Carey grin and stating, "Sooo you're saaaaying there's a chaaaaance") :biggrin:

Side note--I got my Sleep Apnea machine the other day (Resmed Airsense 10) and used it for the 1st time last night.  WOW!!!! During my sleep lab study in Dec, I had an AHI of 59, and I checked the AHI average on my sleep using it last night, and the AHI was 3.8.

I requested a meeting with the VA Sleep Dr and could only get Feb 2nd at the earliest.  I am going to try in so many words to approach him with perhaps filling out a DBQ, and making a nexus letter for me.  If that doesn't work, I'm going Private route. Did you use a "sample" Nexus Letter from here, or have it available from somewhere else?

• HadIt.com Elder

I go for my PTSD C&P Tomorrow...However I was Dx with S.A.  via VA Choice Card   at a private facility after I filed my claim

..I wounder if I could get that Doc to write me up a nexus  connecting it to mt military service? or from the PTSD Meds I been taking?...I'v actually had SA for a long time  just never could afford a Sleep Study  until I got one from the VA.... no prior medical records for SA.  Only what I got from the VA.

Oh well I need to get over the PTDSD C&P first  at least get it SC.  then file the SA Secondary to the PTSD

......Buck

Buck, what you say, can and will be used against you! Your an expert only regarding the symptoms you've experienced.

Your not a Dr, so your medical opinion regarding how long you've had SA means nothing to the Rating Dept. However, a DX of SA prior to a DX of PTSD, could be very problematic in regards to a Secondary Claim.

What is your SA DX date? Does your VMC Medical record indicate on your list of medical problems, a DX of PTSD or SA?

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

yes  but the S.A. was dx afer my dx for PTSD and after I filed my claim for PTSD.

There both in my healtyhvet Notes as being diagnosed/VAMH Dx the PTSD and an out of VA private sleep study was Dx the S.A.  the sleep study was ordered through the VA  by choice card, I now use a c-pap machine.

I won't file for the S.A  until I get my C&P Exam results back.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use