VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% PTSD Schedular W/SMC S Housbound

Rate this question

wnappster

Question

I was recently increased from 70% to 100% PTSD Schedular w/SMC S housebound which was backdated to Jan 2014 with future exams. I had filed for an increase based on TDIU but was denied that an per the VA it is a moot point. Is it possible to get this changed to P&T with no future exams? What are the steps to do this? My original PTSD rating goes back to 2011. My private Psychologist is 100% behind me but of course the VA Dr is more like a pill doctor. 

I appealed that TDIU was "moot" to the BVA in 2012.  The board agreed with me and specifically stated that TDIU was "not moot" because VA has a duty to maximize my benefits and an award of IU:

1.  It could result in statuatory SMC S because of Bradley vs Peake.  

2.  It could result in an earlier effective date if TDIU effective date was earlier than my 100% schedular rating.  

In your case the issue of P and T is "not moot" because P and T entitles you to numerous additional benefits such as Chapter 35 for dependents, exemption/reduction for property taxes, Champva eligibility etc.  

You could appeal in that its a violation of 3.103, as well as a violation that VA is required to give an adequate reasons and bases, assuming VA gave no "reasons" why your condition was "moot", which you could dispute.  You have a right to know why the Board said it was moot, when such an award would entitle you to additional monetary benefits, such as those listed above.   :

§ 3.103 Procedural due process and appellate rights.

(a) Statement of policy. Every claimant has the right to written notice of the decision made on his or her claim, the right to a hearing, and the right of representation. Proceedings before VA are ex parte in nature, and it is the obligation of VA to assist a claimant in developing the facts pertinent to the claim and to render a decision which grants every benefit that can be supported in law while protecting the interests of the Government. The provisions of this section apply to all claims for benefits and relief, and decisions thereon, within the purview of this part 3.
(b) The right to notice—
(1) General. Claimants and their representatives are entitled to notice of any decision made by VA affecting the payment of benefits or the granting of relief. Such notice shall clearly set forth the decision made, any applicable effective date, the reason(s) for the decision, the right to a hearing on any issue involved in the claim, the right of representation and the right, as well as the necessary procedures and time limits, to initiate an appeal of the decision.
(2) Advance notice and opportunity for hearing. Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, no award of compensation, pension or dependency and indemnity compensation shall be terminated, reduced or otherwise adversely affected unless the beneficiary has been notified of such adverse action and has been provided a period of 60 days in which to submit evidence for the purpose of showing that the adverse action should not be taken.
(3) Exceptions. In lieu of advance notice and opportunity for a hearing, VA will send a written notice to the beneficiary or his or her fiduciary at the same time it takes an adverse action under the following circumstances:
(i) An adverse action based solely on factual and unambiguous information or statements as to income, net worth, or dependency or marital status that the beneficiary or his or her fiduciary provided to VA in writing or orally (under the procedures set forth in § 3.217(b)), with knowledge or notice that such information would be used to calculate benefit amounts.
(ii) An adverse action based upon the beneficiary's or fiduciary's failure to return a required eligibility verification report.
(iii) Evidence reasonably indicates that a beneficiary is deceased. However, in the event that VA has received a death certificate, a terminal hospital report verifying the death of a beneficiary or a claim for VA burial benefits, no notice of termination (contemporaneous or otherwise) will be required.
(iv) An adverse action based upon a written and signed statement provided by the beneficiary to VA renouncing VA benefits (see § 3.106 on renouncement).
(v) An adverse action based upon a written statement provided to VA by a veteran indicating that he or she has returned to active service, the nature of that service, and the date of reentry into service, with the knowledge or notice that receipt of active service pay precludes concurrent receipt of VA compensation or pension (see § 3.654 regarding active service pay).
(vi) An adverse action based upon a garnishment order issued under 42 U.S.C. 659(a).
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501(a))
(4) Restoration of benefits. VA will restore retroactively benefits that were reduced, terminated, or otherwise adversely affected based on oral information or statements if within 30 days of the date on which VA issues the notification of adverse action the beneficiary or his or her fiduciary asserts that the adverse action was based upon information or statements that were inaccurate or upon information that was not provided by the beneficiary or his or her fiduciary. This will not preclude VA from taking subsequent action that adversely affects benefits.
(c) The right to a hearing.
(1) Upon request, a claimant is entitled to a hearing at any time on any issue involved in a claim within the purview of part 3 of this chapter, subject to the limitations described in § 20.1304 of this chapter with respect to hearings in claims which have been certified to the Board of Veterans' Appeals for appellate review. VA will provide the place of hearing in the VA office having original jurisdiction over the claim or at the VA office nearest the claimant's home having adjudicative functions, or, subject to available resources and solely at the option of VA, at any other VA facility or federal building at which suitable hearing facilities are available. VA will provide one or more employees who have original determinative authority of such issues to conduct the hearing and be responsible for establishment and preservation of the hearing record. Hearings in connection with proposed adverse actions and appeals shall be held before one or more VA employees having original determinative authority who did not participate in the proposed action or the decision being appealed. All expenses incurred by the claimant in connection with the hearing are the responsibility of the claimant.
(2) The purpose of a hearing is to permit the claimant to introduce into the record, in person, any available evidence which he or she considers material and any arguments or contentions with respect to the facts and applicable law which he or she may consider pertinent. All testimony will be under oath or affirmation. The claimant is entitled to produce witnesses, but the claimant and witnesses are expected to be present. The Veterans Benefits Administration will not normally schedule a hearing for the sole purpose of receiving argument from a representative. It is the responsibility of the VA employee or employees conducting the hearings to explain fully the issues and suggest the submission of evidence which the claimant may have overlooked and which would be of advantage to the claimant's position. To assure clarity and completeness of the hearing record, questions which are directed to the claimant and to witnesses are to be framed to explore fully the basis for claimed entitlement rather than with an intent to refute evidence or to discredit testimony. In cases in which the nature, origin, or degree of disability is in issue, the claimant may request visual examination by a physician designated by VA and the physician's observations will be read into the record.
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501)
(d) Submission of evidence. Any evidence whether documentary, testimonial, or in other form, offered by the claimant in support of a claim and any issue a claimant may raise and any contention or argument a claimant may offer with respect thereto are to be included in the records.
(e) The right to representation. Subject to the provisions of §§ 14.626 through 14.637 of this title, claimants are entitled to representation of their choice at every stage in the prosecution of a claim.
(f) Notification of decisions. The claimant or beneficiary and his or her representative will be notified in writing of decisions affecting the payment of benefits or granting relief. All notifications will advise the claimant of the reason for the decision; the date the decision will be effective; the right to a hearing subject to paragraph (c) of this section; the right to initiate an appeal by filing a Notice of Disagreement which will entitle the individual to a Statement of the Case for assistance in perfecting an appeal; and the periods in which an appeal must be initiated and perfected (See part 20 of this chapter, on appeals). Further, any notice that VA has denied a benefit sought will include a summary of the evidence considered.

This information is great to know.

I did go back over the the award and the decision was denied for IU but awarded 100%. Could I NOD this to request P&T or do I have to start new claim?

Within the explanation it says "since there is a likelihood of  improvement the assigned evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to future review examination" (my next exam is scheduled for 2017). My initial claim is from 2011 with increases from 50% to 70% now 100% rating. Things have not gotten better with continued treatment and meds (increased dosage). What about this supposed 5 year mark I keep reading about? Could that come into play if I NOD? 

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

I had my PTSD C&P 1-22-16

Claim still gathering evidence?

Anyway I am not sure if or what they may rate me or SC. ME?

The examiner mention that she read my records and she was not going to ask me about my stressors  she said she didn't want me to go through all that again

and she never ask me about hardly any of my oms?

if they rate on symptom's  why didn't she ask me about them?

if denied would this be a reason to ask for another C&P?

• HadIt.com Elder

I would think you need to get a IMO as Ms berta mention  and the Dr Needs to state his/her opinion about your disease as to rather or not he thinks it will or won't show improvments  depending on what your SC for  how bad the dieases is.

• HadIt.com Elder

As for as the 5 year

they go by when you were 1ST SC for it  the date it was SC. & then start counting.

Since my last post a finally got to meet with my VSO and he says I should wait until my future exam is scheduled (Aug 2017). If done before then I would open up all current disabilities to re-exam and all but the PTSD are labeled as static now. I will be 54 yrs old, two months shy of 55 when this happens and could stand a better chance of P&T at that time. I also found out that Social Security was awarded for symptoms related to PTSD which is not what I applied for (go figure). 
Will the future exam show up on ebenefits as an open claim and would I be able to get a letter from my Dr. introduced into the claim stating the condition is permanent in nature?