VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% PTSD Schedular W/SMC S Housbound

Rate this question

wnappster

Question

I was recently increased from 70% to 100% PTSD Schedular w/SMC S housebound which was backdated to Jan 2014 with future exams. I had filed for an increase based on TDIU but was denied that an per the VA it is a moot point. Is it possible to get this changed to P&T with no future exams? What are the steps to do this? My original PTSD rating goes back to 2011. My private Psychologist is 100% behind me but of course the VA Dr is more like a pill doctor. 

What would the P & T do for you today? Your 100% Scheduler for PTSD?? Have your other SC's improved, usually only MH SC's stand a chance of improvement? That is, other than stated "Temporary Awards," following surgeries for Cancer or CAD.

Your current rating gets you your States Property Tax Exemption and Champva for your spouse, right.

Semper Fi

The P&T would give us state property tax exemption, champva, education benefits and a few other state things.

I am 100% schedular with SMC-S.

PTSD at 100% future exam Aug 2017

10% from 3/1/2011

70% from 1/14/2013

100% from 2/7/2014

All other DBs are listed as static on code sheet.

Sleep Apena - 50% from 3/1/2011

degenerative joint disease left wrist - 10% from 3/1/2011

degenerative disease of spine - 10% from 3/1/2011

tinnitus - 10% from 3/1/2011

Gerd - 10% from 3/1/2011

Scar -10% from 3/1/2011

Hypothyrodism - 10% from 3/1/2011

Wnappster:

See my post about "free rent" for VSO's.  Your VSO is "paying his rent" to the VA by this statement (from your post) :

"he says I should wait until my future exam is scheduled (Aug 2017). If done before then I would open up all current disabilities to re-exam and all but the PTSD are labeled as static now."

Do the math here:  August 2017 is about 17 months away multiplied by your potential increase.  Lets say you could get 500 per month more.  So your delay in filing means the VA makes 17 times 500 or $8500.  This should cover your VSO's " free rent" for the year.  

Make no mistake.  If the VA can reduce your rating ("open up" current disabilities to re-exam), then they would have done so.  They wont wait until the month before you are 55 because that is a guideline anyway, that the VA can choose not to follow.  Delaying filing (or not filing at all) is a fear tactic employed by VA and VSO's to prevent you from applying for all benefits you deserve.  There is no regulation that states, "Whenever a Veteran applies for an increase, reduce him instead".   A reduction in benefits can only be made if you meet the applicable criteria...not when you apply for an increase.  Reductions are independent of applications for increase.  In fact, there is a school of thought to the obverse.  If you want to prevent a reduction, keep your claim in appeals as there are different people who do appeals than those who process applications, and those people wont even see your claim if you constantly appeal.  

Hey All

I feel compelled to respond to Berta about Dr Brett Valette....I paid the money and got his IMO...The VA Dr ate it alive.I would caution anyone spending that amount of money..But again I am only a lowly grunt....peace and good luck..Allan

Edited by allan1351

• HadIt.com Elder

There is another way to get evidence that may help. The VA has a training program,

http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/

The VA "VRC" can write a document that the VA honors. Since SMC "S" is also involved, things may be a bit sticky.

But, if the VRC says that you are not employable, and not likely to ever be so, then that's more ammunition for the P&T.

The PTSD and no P&T seems to be a VA practice these days.

The VA "only" PTSD diagnosis is something that the VA pushed, and is counter to all the other conditions and VA/court recognized diagnosis.

After all, if a "QTC" doctor can diagnose PTSD, then any qualified by specialty doctor should be able to do so.

It's rather obvious to me that this was an effort to contain costs, to the detriment of veterans. What I really don't care for is the VA's

penchant to decide that a high percentage PTSD veteran should be in the VA's Fiduciary program.

Broncovet,

I am already being paid the maximum dollar amount with 100% with SMC 1 with my disabilities.

So he must be getting his rent money from others. I guess it is just a roll of the dice at this time, same as the re-exam to apply for increase to P&T. I will keep the appeal process in mind when and if a reduction is recommended. A tough decision ahead for me.

I do plan on getting IMO from Dr. Valette, and saving up for that now.  

Chuck75,

VRC sounds like good additional fuel to my fire. Never used this before, so am very worried about what they will try and sneak in.