VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI --- My Recent Journey

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Vets:

Overall, I've had a bit of a frustrating journey as I've tried to ensure that the residual effects from an in service Tank Main Gun  explosion early in my Army Tanker Career would at least be recorded and the effects on my body and mind be noted officially-in case I deteriorate more as I age. Back then they just  did not have the TBI protocols that we have now over the last 2 wars. I've just turned 55 and have headaches, memory and cognitive issues that I've had every sense the explosion in the mid 1980's. Over the years, I've set up cleaver systems with notes and recording mechanisms so I can still function and cope with my daily activities. My son once said, "Dad, you have "notes" to tell you where your notes are at"? Over the years my memory has had very subtle changes.  I've gotten to the point were I put everything in the car I need for work during the weekend, so I don't forget it Monday morning and forget these things like my ID Badge. I put notes next the coffee pot each evening before I go to bed, so I can check off what needs to be done. Anyway, I waited to file for TBI after my primary disability claim because I am terribly claustrophobic and that malady actually began right after the explosion.  Actually, my rater commented about it on my A8 letter. However, the Anxiety of getting into and MRI and being completely covered in the "tube" is overwhelming for me. I did find an open MRI for my back and spine (only one like it in WA State) but failed the first time due to hyperventilating  and the second time was so heavily sedated that I almost passed out? Over the years, I've cancelled numerous MRI's for various military related injuries  because I could not get into the machine. I really doubt I could do it again? One theory is that the part of my brain that triggers those types of responses, may have been damaged during the explosion?  I'm being treated now by the VA for the claustrophobia. Frankly, there's more to the story as I saw the aftermath of a soldier that was crushed by a tank and I can't get the image and experience out of my mind, even after all of these years.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I was finally first sent into see a Psychiatrist  for an interview and testing. After about an hour, he said that he could not make a decision by himself and that I needed more extensive testing by others. So, a week later, I took a CP Exam/Physical for my headaches, took a another hearing test (third one this year) and saw a psychologist to discuss my personnel relationships.  The headache doc said that my records have covered the headache for years and they were mentioned on my retirement physical so he said they should have had enough evidence already? The psychologist said that my memory and cognitive issues are very pronounced as well. Anyway, lately, I've been reading the Hadit.Com TBI Forum to see how other Vets  have been treated over the years with TBI and a lot of it seems a 50/50 proposition for the outcomes and each case is just so different that it's hard to predict any particular  outcome? Like I told the Psychiatrist during my first  interview, I knew that there were a lot of risks joining the Army and especially being on and around dangerous  combat equipment  (and can live with that) that is designed to kill and injure both friend and foe alike. However, if I deteriorate, I'd like for it to be recognized so I can be treated. No one in my family has ever had any of these issues before , and it is most likely to be service related then not. But that decision will be made by other folks that are more familiar with the process whom are in authority.

Either way, I'll report back and let you all know the final outcome.... 

I understand as I do not like tight spaces either. The last few Scans I had were in the Open machines, and it made a world of difference.  We get what your saying bud, but without the Physical Evidence, all it will be is Pure Speculation. You know the Docs will note on the exam "Vet States he has this or that issue" yet no evidence to back it up. In the time I have been on the site and in my personal experience helping Vets, I have not heard of anyone having close to 50 Scans and MRIs over the last few years as I have. I think that if I can make it thru so many, yet hard, but were worth it in the end, then I believe you can make it thru a few more. Only you can decide what is best for you. I have other MH issues that are coming up over time, due to the TBI and I would like to keep in eye on my health, as I have a young family, and I have been note to be too hard headed in the past and put off my health. Sadly it caught up to me at a very young age, please take care of your self and do whatever you have to do to get it squared away. Good luck and God Bless my friend.

NAVY04:

The Tank explosion I encountered is verified and damage to my ears and headaches are clearly stated in my service medical records.  However, you are right about being at the "mercy" of the VA or contractors hired by them. I finished all of the TBI exams last week and we'll see over the next few months what the outcome will be. Mainly, I wanted it covered in the records in case my memory and cognitive issues get much worse....but at this point I'm not very optimistic.....

Take Care,

Rootbeer22

Edited by rootbeer22

I had 6 concussions in Service and lost a piece of the top of the skull, and the VA did not grant SC for TBI until after the first Brain Scan. I never knew to even apply for TBI, it was Recommended after my first set of Exams while I was Nearing my Medical Retirement time line. You just have to remember that a Doc or PA stating " I believe Vet has this or that issue, or Veteran States" means nothing as far as an Actual Test, Exam, Scan or Official Diagnoses. The problem is too many Vets out there Claiming to have an issue, and when The VA Spends Big Dollars and Digs Deep they find no Medical Evidence in the End. I myself have tried to help multiple Vets who told me one thing, we go the extra mile helping with their claim, only in the end to come back that there was No Medical Evidence to validate their claim, and then I felt stupid and upset that I wasted alot of my time and VAs resources. It is the old Kindergarten Mentality, where 1 Vet messed it up for everyone else. If you say you are Hurt or Sick, we Vets on Hadit believe you, but we dont grant you SC, only the VA can do that with the Medical Evidence. 

NAVYO4:

I agree totally and I understand both sides of the Argument for good evidence...Frankly, even with pretty good evidence, I'm hearing that SC is not usually assigned with TBI unless it was a result of combat actions or multiple entries in one's files of other injuries like concussions, headaches, etc... I've seen that Vets have worked for years to get the appropriate TBI rating with little luck.,...I've seen some PET Scanners that just cover the brain and that would work for me...I know that would help immensely with my claustrophobia...however, I'm in the wait an see mode right now....

Thanks, Rootbeer22

All:

I had my psychology appoint yesterday and they gave me some kind of diagnosis for Claustrophobia but did not call it claustrophobia exactly? Right now, it's out of my hands and I at least hope it covered in the record properly so that I can have it treated. The VA decided to send my to the civilian sector to get treated and we''ll see how that turns out? I came to the VA because I expected that they see this type of thing and know how to treat it best but I could have gone out to the civilian sector myself...that I have not seen the write up from yesterdays session yet? I felt like I was being steered to the outside anyway and at this point most of it is out of my hands. Frankly, I'd like to be able to get into and MRI Machine, being small spaces and Fly on a commuter plane with out such great anxiety.  Actually my acupuncturist has been giving me the best advice so far. Also, I've never talked to Mental Health folks due to the stigma so we'll see how it works out....

Rootbeer22

Edited by rootbeer22
Left name off

Rootbeer 22

I would definitely get all the testing I could get. As a example my back only got x rays and they thought I had a partially herniated disk at L5-S1/ When I got MRI it showed I had 3 herniated disks in my back with L5-S1 severe. I had to fight them to get test. You can believe that Regional office knows about that MRI!