VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab/ TDIU/ Criminal Background

Rate this question

Ry_guy

Question

This is a 2 part question:

Am I a good candidate for Voc Rehab even with a criminal background?

Am I a good candidate for TDIU because my criminal background (which I attribute to acquiring through my PTSD) is preventing me from finding gainful employment?

I have applied for Voc Rehab and I am to meet with a counselor in a few weeks to go over my disability (70% PTSD) and to decide if I am to be a good fit for Voc Rehab. I want to request that they allow and pay for me to go back to the local college for my bachelors in computer science. However, one of the serious (in my opinion) barriers to employment that I face is my criminal background. A D.U.I and a Domestic Violence conviction (I threw a plaque out of anger and it put a dime size hole in my apartment wall, this was by accident, but all employers see is Domestic Violence and don't care to hear the rest). Anyway, I got these charges literally right after I got out of the military and back from my second tour in Afghanistan. Things got worse from there but I feel I'm on the upswing at the moment. I have been offered 3 full time jobs this year just to be later told, "oh you failed the background check, never mind". That's after applying to about 50 jobs, only getting 5 interviews, then receiving a job offer only 3 times, then being told all 3 times, "no, because of your background." The convictions are 3 years old (2012), the state of Texas allows employers to look back up to 7 years, I don't see myself getting around it.

At my C&P exam the examiner took an interest in my criminal record, I'm assuming she attributed my PTSD for leading into these criminal charges. That's how I feel at least; I didn't drink alcohol or have violent outbursts before I joined the military.

Look, I understand that some jobs will or may look past your criminal history. The problem is, I haven't found a job that will look past my criminal history that will pay a wage that I can live on. I feel really scared because the 70% is not enough to meet my financial obligations and take care of my son and so far I've had no luck getting around my criminal history to be gainfully employed.

So I'm thinking, be completely upfront with Voc Rehab about my barriers, and if they decide I'm a good fit than do my best to be retrained and be cooperative as they try to place me in suitable (I'm assuming that's how it works) employment. Or, if they decide I'm not a good fit, take the denial letter for Voc Rehab and apply for TDIU. Either way, I have to do something. I will be more than happy to work if they can place me in a position that pays more than minimum wage, as I can't afford to work for minimum wage. (this is not to sound better than but I'd literally blow my brains out if I had to believe that because my service led me to acquiring PTSD and acting out on that led me to acquiring a criminal record which in turn led me to never be allowed to have a respectable job again...)

My ultimate goal is to be able to pay my bills on time and take care of myself and my son. If I would have received either of those 3 job offers this year than I'd have already accomplished that. But at this point, I'm desperate. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would get into PTSD Counseling ASAP, that C&P examiner took note because having  Mental Disorder will make a person act out in violence when that person is triggered  from something that causes the outburst from the trauma that happen to him/her  in your case the military.

The VA should not use your outburst of violence you have to not go to Voc-Rehab.

If VA dx you with PTSD at 70%   you should be able to get into Voc Rehab with a VA Dr recommendation

I would definitely recommend VA Therapy...you can use that as a tool later on when applying for jobs   the employers will see your reaching out for help  and to them that carries a lot of weight  when it comes to employment .

There's a possibly too that the Voc ReHab counselors can find you not feasible to retrain at this time due to your  S.C.Disability PTSD. 

If you can't work or be around people or find some type of sedentary  work  or make what the VA calls ''Gainful Employment'' 

if they do that qualifies you for TDIU  & the Voc Rehab can write you a letter for TDIU.

JMO

...............Buck

Edited by Buck52

I'm going to focus on the financial aspect of your question. As a grown adult I'm certain you know deep down what is best for your PTSD treatment.

It is going to be tough as you already know to get a job in the field you want. I see a couple options. Make some contacts/friends that work at places that employ people in the IT field. I'm not talking about acquaintances. I'm talking dig into your family, your past friends, past coworkers and reconnect. Get a relationship built with them so they feel comfortable with sticking their neck out to get you a job in the field you want. Then during the interview be upfront. If they are going to do a background check then tell them BEFORE they do the check, preferably in the interview. This will give you a chance to explain yourself. Sure this may take some time but if this is the field you want to be in then the time spent will be worth it.

If you don't want to put in the effort to build these partnerships then look at a field that is in more demand. Maybe less security involved. A field that still pays well but is more concerned with your experience in the military and college. If you like IT then maybe auto electronics? A lot of computer based stuff. Diesel performance tuning and stuff like that. Not saying mechanics but electrical specialty stuff. Just throwing out ideas.

Also if you are an IT guy then why not start a computer repair business? 

Now for the Voc Rehab part. I would tell them myself. I would attribute my arrest to PTSD and I would also be honest with yourself about whether or not you may be triggered again. The fight or flight reflex can be a bitc* to overcome. Especially when you were trained to fight in basic. 

If the voc rehab folks tell you to pound sand then tell then you want a denial letter with the reason why documented. Use it to file for TDIU.

One of the tricks they use is they don't deny you. They say no to IT school pick something else. They say no to that, pick something else. Eventually you can't find anything else you like so you go away on your own and they don't technically "deny" you. FORCE them deny you before you go away. 

And by IT I mean computer science. Im not quite sure what computer science entails but you can extrapolate the meaning. 

These are my thoughts and I hope they give you something more to think about.

Absolutely get in and complete the Voc Rehab program, the Stipend you will receive will help.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, start applying for employment with the VA. Better chance of getting in with the VA, with a felony record, then with a private Co or Corp.

A guy I like to think of as a friend, is and has been employed at my VMC and did a stretch for Manslaughter. He a great guy and does a lot of Pro Bono work with SC Vets during his free time.

Good Luck

Semper Fi