• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
ShuMan

Gordon & Doner (injuredveterans.com)

Well rationalized evidence is king!

• Like 2

Berta,

"It might be situation where the vet relied too heavily on expecting  the lawyers to do it all. "

That is a great quote. I do think that lawyers can help but Its not stopping me from seeking out doctors that perform IMEs. (The only thing that's doing that is the VA, dragging there feet on getting me my C-File..lol.)

Berta and ArNG11,

What has been your experience working with lawyers? Have they been worth the 20% retro pay they receive?

I don't want to bad mouth my former attorney.  He has been successful in other cases and claims. However, in my particular case, I knew too much and was too involved in my own case for his own comfort level.

I am not saying that I know more than an attorney by no means.  I went after what I thought was right.  I went after what I could prove by medical rationale, SMR's, private medical records and medical nexus connecting my injuries and disease's to service.  Turns out I have been right thus far, even if my actions were against his advice.

I did the same with my DOL claims and injuries.  Similar experience and the attorney missed out on an easy 4 grand for very little work.

I believe that if you utilize an attorney at the right time they can be of a great help, however, there has to be a good business relationship and good communication between both parties. You know, having the same goals and the same desired outcome.   That is just my opinion. The decision is ultimately yours to make and control.

• Like 3

"Berta and ArNG11,

What has been your experience working with lawyers? Have they been worth the 20% retro pay they receive?"

I have been a claimant multiple times for over 2 decades and also a successful FTCAer and never had any attorney represent me,in any VA related matter   except for NVLSP, who represented all claimants who filed under the AO Nehmer regs, who they were aware of ( I had posted their contact info here as soon as the 2010 Nehmer info came out,)that included 3 new AO presumptives, in 2010.

NVLSP is a pro bono law firm and no one under the Nehmer regs who received retro had to pay them anything.

I do feel that as broncovet said here and others, that paying 20% of something is better then

paying no legal fees ,for a claim that needs a lawyer's help,and ending up ,again, with nothing.

If VA provided accurate decisions all of the time, and if veterans provided VA with the exact probative evidence VA describes they need ,for each specific claim they have,and took the time to understand the regulations that control their claims, we would not even need lawyers or vet reps.

There are plenty of good lawyers who represent vets.Someone posted a list of them here recently I think, in response to a widow's recent topic.

I would think a good Vet attorney would want good feed back from their client,that could potentially help their claim.

I found that it is some of the vet reps and VSOs out there who think they know it all , and often disregard input from their vets,holding their POA.

Reps get paid regardless of what they do or dont do for a vet.

Lawyers have the financial incentive to do a good job.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By saltynurse
      My husband is in need of a criminal lawyer who helps veterans asap. He did something while ptsd symptoms were high and now needs criminal help. Before these charges were given we were working on getting him help with his ptsd, which I told him he should go get help as this will show he is trying to not make this mistake again. The VA referred me to VSO who could only refer for help with claims, not criminal. I've contacted my caregiver coordinator, social worker and the primary, with no answer. I need to get on this asap and I know there are lawyers who only work with veterans but have hit a dead end. Any help, is greatly appreciated! 
    • By deville905
      My claimed was shut down and closed July 4, 2014, but haven't received my BBE yet which should come any day. I'm tired of dealing with VSO's who has no Idea of whats going on beside lunch. Anyone heard of a good attorney in Memphis, Jackson TNor w Memphis AR.
    • By Endofrope
      I currently have 20% rating. I first received 10% in 2005 when I got out of active duty then in about 2010 after reopening claim it went to 20%. At that time I didn't understand how the process went.
      This time around I was considering getting a lawyer through allsup.com or fight4vets.com. I wanted know others experience. I was told it helps the process and time frame.

What do you guys think?
    • By Squidder
      I am looking to get some counsel from an attorney that knows the ropes within the VA system. Is it important that an attorney for this be located in the state that you reside in? The VA is of course Federal so maybe being local is not that important unless you want to meet in person. I live in Nevada and there seem to be very few that are accredited by the VA around Reno.

Also anyone know any attorneys to recommend that are knowlegeable about the VA (possibly one that previously worked at a VA Regional Office)?

Some attorneys do work for Veterans but sometimes more as a sideline and I want someone that specializes in Veterans issues. I have seen some Excel lists of VA accredited attorneys but picking one is like opening the phone book closing your eyes and hoping for the best which I'd rather not do. Thanks
    • By kevin4998
      I do not recommend Bosley and Bratch.

When I first contacted them, I had to send in all information I had.
      I am on SSD, and had received an award at 60%, which as many who would read the award letter was the bare minimum on all issues.

They told me that since their was an paperwork stating that they (VA) was considering 100 percent that they did not want to intervene till that was resolved.

I have since then been to the RO office in Indy and have talked to them (VA) 800# and their is no paperwork that they have stating that they was considering 100% especially since I did not have a single issue at or above 40%.

I called Bosley and Bratch at the Indy location and after several phone calls they said they would not represent me because none of my issues was VA service connected and I was not disabled.
      Huh?
      I am on SSD so yes I am disabled, and every issue that got me SSD is also on my VA claims and the combination of those got me too 60%.

The only thing I needed them to do is dot my I's and cross my T's to get what I should be getting for each of those issues.. which ultimately would get me very close to 100%

They told me before I hanged up on them, was that the only way they would represent me was if I was service connected by a VA doctor stating so.

Sounds like they want me to do the work....

Anyway, sounds like they are just lazy and don't want to take any risk.. not that there would be any really.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Peggy toll free 1000 last week, told me that, my claim or case BVA Granted is at the RO waiting on someone to sign off ,She said your in step 5 going into step 6 . That's good, right.?
      • 6 replies
    • I took a look at your documents and am trying to interpret what happened. A summary of what happened would have helped, but I hope I am interpreting your intentions correctly:

2003 asthma denied because they said you didn't have 'chronic' asthma diagnosis

2018 Asthma/COPD granted 30% effective Feb 2015 based on FEV-1 of 60% and inhalational anti-inflamatory medication.

"...granted SC for your asthma with COPD w/dypsnea because your STRs show you were diagnosed with asthma during your military service in 1995.

First, check the date of your 2018 award letter. If it is WITHIN one year, file a notice of disagreement about the effective date. 

If it is AFTER one year, that means your claim has became final. If you would like to try to get an earlier effective date, then CUE or new and material evidence are possible avenues. 

I assume your 2003 denial was due to not finding "chronic" or continued symptoms noted per 38 CFR 3.303(b). In 2013, the Federal Circuit court (Walker v. Shinseki) changed they way they use the term "chronic" and requires the VA to use 3.303(a) for anything not listed under 3.307 and 3.309. You probably had a nexus and benefit of the doubt on your side when you won SC.

It might be possible for you to CUE the effective date back to 2003 or earlier. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the restrictions of CUE. It has to be based on the evidence in the record and laws in effect at the time the decision was made. Avoid trying to argue on how they weighed a decision, but instead focus on the evidence/laws to prove they were not followed or the evidence was never considered. It's an uphill fight. I would start by recommending you look carefully at your service treatment records and locate every instance where you reported breathing issues, asthma diagnosis, or respiratory treatment (albuterol, steroids, etc...). CUE is not easy and it helps to do your homework before you file.

Another option would be to file for an increased rating, but to do that you would need to meet the criteria for 60%. If you don't meet criteria for a 60% rating, just ensure you still meet the criteria for 30% (using daily inhaled steroid inhalers is adequate) because they are likely to deny your request for increase. You could attempt to request an earlier effective date that way.

Does this help?
    • Thanks for that. So do you have a specific answer or experience with it bouncing between the two?
    • Tinnitus comes in two forms: subjective and objective. In subjective tinnitus, only the sufferer will hear the ringing in their own ears. In objective tinnitus, the sound can be heard by a doctor who is examining the ear canals. Objective tinnitus is extremely rare, while subjective tinnitus is by far the most common form of the disorder.

The sounds of tinnitus may vary with the person experiencing it. Some will hear a ringing, while others will hear a buzzing. At times people may hear a chirping or whistling sound. These sounds may be constant or intermittent. They may also vary in volume and are generally more obtrusive when the sufferer is in a quiet environment. Many tinnitus sufferers find their symptoms are at their worst when they’re trying to fall asleep.

...................Buck
    • Precedent Setting CAVC cases cited in the M21-1
      A couple months back before I received my decision I started preparing for the appeal I knew I would be filing.  That is how little faith I had in the VA caring about we the veteran. 

One of the things I did is I went through the entire M21-1 and documented every CAVC precedent case that the VA cited. I did this because I wanted to see what the rater was seeing.  I could not understand for the life of me why so many obviously bad decisions were being handed down.  I think the bottom line is that the wrong type of people are hired as raters.  I think raters should have some kind of legal background.  They do not need to be lawyers but I think paralegals would be a good idea.

There have been more than 3500 precedent setting decisions from the CAVC since 1989.  Now we need to concede that all of them are not favorable to the veteran but I have learned that in a lot of cases even though the veteran lost a case it some rules were established that assisted other veterans.

The document I created has about 200 or so decisions cited in the M21-1.   Considering the fact that there are more than 3500 precedent cases out there I think it is safe to assume the VA purposely left out decisions that would make it almost impossible to deny veteran claims.  Case in point. I know of 14 precedent setting decisions that state the VA cannot ignore or give no weight to outside doctors without providing valid medical reasons as to why.  Most of these decision are not cited by the M21.

It is important that we do our due diligence to make sure we do not get screwed.  I think the M21-1 is incomplete because there is too much information we veterans are finding on our own to get the benefits we deserve

M21-1 Precedent setting decisions .docx
        • Thanks
      • 5 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines