VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exams went well but what happened while I was there infuriated me!

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

So I went to the QTC office for my TWO C&P exams today.  First one was at 1300 and it was my MH C&P exam for PTSD/MST and my eating disorder.  Was with the doctor for about 1-1/2 hours and we went through everything thorough.  Apparently the reason I had this C&P was the fact that the VA originally rated me for Anorexia Nervosa back in 2014 separately from my MH PTSD/MST/Anxiety.  Looks like I should be under Bulimia rating because of my binging/purging with laxatives and the abuse of the laxatives.  The discussion was good, she did not have me 'totally' relive the disgusting event but we did touch on certain aspects.  I was personally assaulted resulting with a pregnancy where I lost the child in my late first trimester/early second trimester.  I felt pretty good about the exam and thanked her.

So I had a few hours to kill before my next C&P at 1615 so I went and got something to eat and chilled.  Got back to the office around 1530.  Now mind you I was already a bit anxious from my discussion a few hours prior.  This exam coming up was for an increase to my L ankle.  I am currently on a knee bike and I have an ankle brace on my left foot. So there I am sitting in the waiting room minding my own business.  Look at FB to kill time and I over hear a conversation taking place behind the glass in the office area.  Now keep in mind, I suffer from MST!  here is the conversation:

Employee #1 - So this lady was raped 12 years ago.  It's apparent you can't do a rape kit.  How does she prove this?

Employee #2 - Well the VA takes there word I guess.  

Employee #1 - Well that doesn't sound right, how do they know if she is telling the truth or not

SO I F***** LOST IT!  I MEAN I FREAKED THE F'OUT!  Went up to the glass and said "who the hell do you think you are to even be talking about a patient and their personal file like that?"  And "who are you to determine whether the person is lying or not?" "It's not up to you but rather a doctor!!!!!"  I asked for his name and he told me it and I asked for a supervisor...Well guess who the supervisor was!  That guy!  WTF!  I got the other ladies name and by now he had brought into the back b/c of how upset I was and just kept saying "I'm sorry" "I'm Sorry"  Are you serious?  By now the doctor who had examined me for my MH C&P came out and brought me to her office to console me.  I was sobbing, I am mean literally sobbing like a baby.  She said that was uncalled for and I told her "you are damn right it is".  I am going to report this to the VA, the QTC corporation, anyone I can get ahold of!

Needless to say I had to get myself together so that I could do my next C&P exam for my left ankle.  That doctor, too, heard the whole situation and was so appalled at his actions.  I told her thank you.  We were able to get through my L ankle C&P.  She said b/c of my right foot in a "non-weight bearing status" she couldn't do the "normal" testing of both feet/ankles.  She said I am noting it and she also said that the knee bike I am using now for my right foot, is probably causing even worse issues to my left foot ankle b/c now I have all the weight on my left foot/ankle.  She told me that I should get a wheel chair and to discuss with my podiatrist.  My calf muscle is significantly smaller now on my right foot but that is to be expected.  Over all the this exam went well and I believe favorable too.

So with all that going on today I am just completely devastated and reverting back to my old self....

Thank you for letting me vent!

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh okay gottcha

I was at the QTC BUILDING/Down in the basement so to speak At Euless on the 23rd last month for my PTSD C&P  and examiners name was Dr Gordon she was Nice African  Amercian Lady.

I know the dude your referring to  kinda a smart ass when I was there.

Maybe wait see what the outcome of your C&P is?  but I don't blame you at all if you go after these idiots.or at least get his ass fired.

We can't get the C&P report back until the VA decides the claim   which sucks and causes more Appeals.  which I  hope don't happen with ours.

sorry you had to go through all this today.

Its not right they talked about things like this or any veteran matter  its non of there damn Business.

just chill out the best way you can  maybe tomorrow will be a brighter day for ya

Hang In There.

............Buck

Buck;

Yep Derek is his name and Emma was the other one he was engaging the conversation with.  She knew I was taking names and she comes out to the waiting room to give me water. B**** please, what you need to do is go back in the office and leave me the F alone.....

The elderly lady in the waiting room even motioned to her and the guy that they were out of line!

I am not threatened at all by my C&P exam and I would just dare them to do something to my C&P exam.  That won't happen! Both doctor's spoke to me with favorable discussions and I am confident the C&P exams will be favorable.  

What that office needs to worry about is their staff running their mouths about highly sensitive medical information.  I am a strong woman and I will over come this but tonight I have been through hell.  I have cried all I can.  I have thought bad things but won't act on them...I will wake up tomorrow with a vengeance and make sure this guy pays for his stupidity because I can tell you that I wasn't the first person to probably over hear him or maybe I was, but it will be the last time he defiles someone's claim, especially a rape!

Again, thanks! 

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree that the whole thing should not have happened. Having said that, you would be surprised at some of the conversations that occur inside an operating room, and even recorded! 

Edited by Chuck75

Its a privacy act violation.  My wife is a nurse.  She not only is not allowed to discuss other patients with employees "in the hall", but isnt allowed to discuss them with their family in private either, without the patients specific permission or a POA on medical issues.  If you are in a private hospital and discussing a patient, 1.  Your supervisor may check and see if that patient is assigned to you and the person you are discussin him her with.  A nurse is assigned patients they are responsible for at the beginnig of the shift.  So is a doctor or nurses aid.  You can go to your supervisor and ask about patient "z".  And when you change shifts, you discuss patient z with the next shift.  But, if you are friends in with a nurse in ER, and you are in pediatrics, dont get caught discussing the care of your patient with another nurse who does not specifically have a "need to know" .  You can consult about patients with other medical personel, but only to the extent they have a need to know.  Gossip is specifically a no no.   The Doctor can/does give a report to the family on a patients condition after an injury or surgery in private, but only then if the doctor sees the family prior to surgery and knows its ok to discuss details with family members.  If a family member is in an accident and a surgical procedure is indicated he will discuss it with a family member as a decision must be rendered on the surgury if the injured patient is unable to speak or make a decision on their own.  Its then an "implied consent" because if you go to the hospital after hearing your spouse/family member has been injured, its implied you have a say on the outcome of their care, and have decision making authority on that persons medical care.   Its important that you have in your medical records who you desire to have medical POA in the event you are injured so that the person you want to decide has POA.    

They dont put the patient name on the outside of the room.  People can walk by, and say, "Gee, I didnt know Susie Smith was a patient here.  She is my neighbor.  I wonder what is wrong with her.  I will ask the nurse..no kidding, a D and C?   Gee what was that for?  Any complications?"   You can see where this is going.  

My wife is shocked that you go to pharmacy and your name appears on the screen when your order is ready for pickup.  Privacy violation.  "Gee, I wonder what ole Fred Smith is getting pills for?  His ED must be acting up again?"

In a private hospital these things are instant and immediate firing. I have no idea how the VA gets away with this.  The VA and military get away with lots of stuff private industry can not.    One example is the public showers military often have to do.  Private hosptials would not think of saying ok, we are showering today.  Everyone take their clothes off now, and into the shower together, but that is exaclty what they do in boot camp.  You do not have the luxury of a private shower in many military settings.  I took showers with 80 other men every day. 

Edited by broncovet

Military service and VA are a never ending debate.  There are different rules "in war" and not in war.  

For example, sleeping on watch duty is a serious offense.  The penalty for sleeping on watch in war time is death.  Im not sure that is enforced all that often, maybe never, but when I was in the military we had to know that the penalty was death for sleeping on watch in war time.  

VA has the VAOIG as its only police force.  Military has MP.  I do understand MP's, but dont agree with VAOIG.  The VA is an agency.   Why dont they have a "Forest Service OIG"?   Or a "Treasury OIG?"  

How about a Department of Agriculture OIG?    It makes no sense to have a VAOIG EXCEPT so VA can get away with stuff no one else can.  

Broncovet;

I couldn't agree more with you.  Your wife is correct!  I filed a HIPPA violation this morning with the QTC headquarters.  They took an incident report from me and it is going up the chain of command.  I will not allow this to consume me nor take me back to "bad space".  I've worked really hard in therapy and I am so afraid of falling back to my old ways.  I have a call into my therapist and I am sure she will call me.  I want this guy and gal to understand it is NOT okay to discuss ANYONE's claim amongst each other.