VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exams went well but what happened while I was there infuriated me!

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

So I went to the QTC office for my TWO C&P exams today.  First one was at 1300 and it was my MH C&P exam for PTSD/MST and my eating disorder.  Was with the doctor for about 1-1/2 hours and we went through everything thorough.  Apparently the reason I had this C&P was the fact that the VA originally rated me for Anorexia Nervosa back in 2014 separately from my MH PTSD/MST/Anxiety.  Looks like I should be under Bulimia rating because of my binging/purging with laxatives and the abuse of the laxatives.  The discussion was good, she did not have me 'totally' relive the disgusting event but we did touch on certain aspects.  I was personally assaulted resulting with a pregnancy where I lost the child in my late first trimester/early second trimester.  I felt pretty good about the exam and thanked her.

So I had a few hours to kill before my next C&P at 1615 so I went and got something to eat and chilled.  Got back to the office around 1530.  Now mind you I was already a bit anxious from my discussion a few hours prior.  This exam coming up was for an increase to my L ankle.  I am currently on a knee bike and I have an ankle brace on my left foot. So there I am sitting in the waiting room minding my own business.  Look at FB to kill time and I over hear a conversation taking place behind the glass in the office area.  Now keep in mind, I suffer from MST!  here is the conversation:

Employee #1 - So this lady was raped 12 years ago.  It's apparent you can't do a rape kit.  How does she prove this?

Employee #2 - Well the VA takes there word I guess.  

Employee #1 - Well that doesn't sound right, how do they know if she is telling the truth or not

SO I F***** LOST IT!  I MEAN I FREAKED THE F'OUT!  Went up to the glass and said "who the hell do you think you are to even be talking about a patient and their personal file like that?"  And "who are you to determine whether the person is lying or not?" "It's not up to you but rather a doctor!!!!!"  I asked for his name and he told me it and I asked for a supervisor...Well guess who the supervisor was!  That guy!  WTF!  I got the other ladies name and by now he had brought into the back b/c of how upset I was and just kept saying "I'm sorry" "I'm Sorry"  Are you serious?  By now the doctor who had examined me for my MH C&P came out and brought me to her office to console me.  I was sobbing, I am mean literally sobbing like a baby.  She said that was uncalled for and I told her "you are damn right it is".  I am going to report this to the VA, the QTC corporation, anyone I can get ahold of!

Needless to say I had to get myself together so that I could do my next C&P exam for my left ankle.  That doctor, too, heard the whole situation and was so appalled at his actions.  I told her thank you.  We were able to get through my L ankle C&P.  She said b/c of my right foot in a "non-weight bearing status" she couldn't do the "normal" testing of both feet/ankles.  She said I am noting it and she also said that the knee bike I am using now for my right foot, is probably causing even worse issues to my left foot ankle b/c now I have all the weight on my left foot/ankle.  She told me that I should get a wheel chair and to discuss with my podiatrist.  My calf muscle is significantly smaller now on my right foot but that is to be expected.  Over all the this exam went well and I believe favorable too.

So with all that going on today I am just completely devastated and reverting back to my old self....

Thank you for letting me vent!

Navy4Life,  What happen to you is egregious and totally unacceptable!  Just reading about it upset me; so I know it must have been much worse to actually experience it.  It is no wonder at all, that most assaults go unreported! I hear VA employees discussing veteran patients out loud almost every time I go to the VAMC ROI office which shares a waiting room with Admissions.  I have complained bitterly directly to the offending parties and their supervisor, but the only way I was really able to have an effect on these privacy violations was to take my complaints outside of the VA. In my opinion, the VAOIG is thoroughly compromised, so I don’t involve them.

I have personally decided that I will no longer accept ANY disrespect, slight, bad attitude, reversed name tags, failure to provide services to which I am entitled or any other VA employee misbehavior. I strongly suggest that every veteran do exactly the same as long as (s)he doesn’t make it a physical confrontation.

Having said that, you can take this as high as you want.  This is definitely a Call/email “Bob” event! I would email him at:

Robert.a.Mcdonald@va.gov

With Bcc:

Carolyn.Clancy@va.gov;

Brenda.Fass@va.gov

Listed below are three agencies who can and will investigate your complaint and can force that QTC office to change their ways.  The Joint Commission has the sharpest teeth, but HHS and the Texas Medical Board will also investigate. 

http://www.jointcommission.org/report_a_complaint.aspx

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/filing-a-complaint/what-to-expect/index.html

http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/page/place-a-complaint

Watch the drinking as it will further harm your health, may alter the effectiveness of your medications, and could diminish your credibility with the very people to whom you are lodging your complaints.

Buck, if you have had similar experiences, I would coordinate with Navy and file separate complaints.  If enough complaints are made, then “pattern and practices” can be established which would really bring the hammer down.

I really hope that you don’t let this ride, but, on the other hand, if having to discuss the event repeatedly causes you more grief and upset-then put it behind you.

Thank you all for your responses!

I emailed my complaint to my MH doctor this morning.  I emailed my Congressman's office last night.  I filed a complaint with QTC.  I plan to do as you indicated Guaymas and email the above people as well.  I am a strong woman and yesterday tore me up and I mean really bad.  I was at a very low point but with all your guys/gal support and my therapist talking to me and my boyfriend who might I say is a prior Marine, talking to me helped a lot.  He wanted to choke the SOB out!

Buck, I agree maybe you should do the same and file a complaint.  It sounds like they just don't give a shit there.  At least the front office doesn't.  The doctor's on the other hand were WONDERFUL!

I don't drink but last night I had one to take the edge off.  I also have my wonderful ESA doggie to comfort me!  

You all rock!

• HadIt.com Elder
3 hours ago, Navy04 said:

Sorry you had to go thru that. It is sad that this happens to often. I have had such a hard time with what happened to me as a kid, that I have never even talked about it with the VA or SSDI. Sad thing is that what you went thru has so much to do with so Many Vets out there that are Faking or Lying about disabilities and it hurts us all. I always try to remember that VA Folks and Docs are Human too, and boy do they over step their boundaries many times. Again so sorry for you, and wish you the best. Good luck and God Bless!!!

"Many Vets out there that are Faking or Lying about disabilities and it hurts us all."

While I'm sure that there are some, I'd challenge the Many part. On the other hand, how many vets are being short changed by the VA?

Certainly more than a few, and it might actually be "Many". 

Chuck75

thst is completely irreverent and not for ANYONE TO DECIDE BUT THE DOCTOR. what you should be upset with is the fact that I a veteran like you and many others had to endure this. No veteran and their case should be discussed at all! Period!

20 hours ago, Navy4life said:

Thank you all for your responses!

I emailed my complaint to my MH doctor this morning.  I emailed my Congressman's office last night.  I filed a complaint with QTC.  I plan to do as you indicated Guaymas and email the above people as well.  I am a strong woman and yesterday tore me up and I mean really bad.  I was at a very low point but with all your guys/gal support and my therapist talking to me and my boyfriend who might I say is a prior Marine, talking to me helped a lot.  He wanted to choke the SOB out!

Buck, I agree maybe you should do the same and file a complaint.  It sounds like they just don't give a shit there.  At least the front office doesn't.  The doctor's on the other hand were WONDERFUL!

I don't drink but last night I had one to take the edge off.  I also have my wonderful ESA doggie to comfort me!  

You all rock!

With due respect, no such thing as a former marine, once a Marine, Always a Marine. OOorah.:biggrin:

I am so glad that you got some vindication and a real response from your predicament. I am just interjecting, if I may, never give up, never back down from fights when core values are on your side.  I know you will not have that problem though.  Good Win.  Just what I needed to read this morning.  

• HadIt.com Elder
22 hours ago, Navy4life said:

Chuck75

thst is completely irreverent and not for ANYONE TO DECIDE BUT THE DOCTOR. what you should be upset with is the fact that I a veteran like you and many others had to endure this. No veteran and their case should be discussed at all! Period!

I agree that it should not have happened. What you choose to do about it is your business, and you can certainly make those involved very regretful. One of the needed tasks will be to identify and categorize actual harm that was done.

You have to remember that decades ago, I and thousands of other veterans were required to go through such things as draft board physicals, group medical exams, and on and on. Privacy? what's that?

Medical personnel frequently do discuss patients and conditions. The problem is that this was done in an inappropriate location and in an inappropriate manner by those who should know better. 

In this age of "equality", I have to wonder if some of the insistence on long standing female prerogatives is a bit overdone. 

Edited by Chuck75