VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exams went well but what happened while I was there infuriated me!

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

So I went to the QTC office for my TWO C&P exams today.  First one was at 1300 and it was my MH C&P exam for PTSD/MST and my eating disorder.  Was with the doctor for about 1-1/2 hours and we went through everything thorough.  Apparently the reason I had this C&P was the fact that the VA originally rated me for Anorexia Nervosa back in 2014 separately from my MH PTSD/MST/Anxiety.  Looks like I should be under Bulimia rating because of my binging/purging with laxatives and the abuse of the laxatives.  The discussion was good, she did not have me 'totally' relive the disgusting event but we did touch on certain aspects.  I was personally assaulted resulting with a pregnancy where I lost the child in my late first trimester/early second trimester.  I felt pretty good about the exam and thanked her.

So I had a few hours to kill before my next C&P at 1615 so I went and got something to eat and chilled.  Got back to the office around 1530.  Now mind you I was already a bit anxious from my discussion a few hours prior.  This exam coming up was for an increase to my L ankle.  I am currently on a knee bike and I have an ankle brace on my left foot. So there I am sitting in the waiting room minding my own business.  Look at FB to kill time and I over hear a conversation taking place behind the glass in the office area.  Now keep in mind, I suffer from MST!  here is the conversation:

Employee #1 - So this lady was raped 12 years ago.  It's apparent you can't do a rape kit.  How does she prove this?

Employee #2 - Well the VA takes there word I guess.  

Employee #1 - Well that doesn't sound right, how do they know if she is telling the truth or not

SO I F***** LOST IT!  I MEAN I FREAKED THE F'OUT!  Went up to the glass and said "who the hell do you think you are to even be talking about a patient and their personal file like that?"  And "who are you to determine whether the person is lying or not?" "It's not up to you but rather a doctor!!!!!"  I asked for his name and he told me it and I asked for a supervisor...Well guess who the supervisor was!  That guy!  WTF!  I got the other ladies name and by now he had brought into the back b/c of how upset I was and just kept saying "I'm sorry" "I'm Sorry"  Are you serious?  By now the doctor who had examined me for my MH C&P came out and brought me to her office to console me.  I was sobbing, I am mean literally sobbing like a baby.  She said that was uncalled for and I told her "you are damn right it is".  I am going to report this to the VA, the QTC corporation, anyone I can get ahold of!

Needless to say I had to get myself together so that I could do my next C&P exam for my left ankle.  That doctor, too, heard the whole situation and was so appalled at his actions.  I told her thank you.  We were able to get through my L ankle C&P.  She said b/c of my right foot in a "non-weight bearing status" she couldn't do the "normal" testing of both feet/ankles.  She said I am noting it and she also said that the knee bike I am using now for my right foot, is probably causing even worse issues to my left foot ankle b/c now I have all the weight on my left foot/ankle.  She told me that I should get a wheel chair and to discuss with my podiatrist.  My calf muscle is significantly smaller now on my right foot but that is to be expected.  Over all the this exam went well and I believe favorable too.

So with all that going on today I am just completely devastated and reverting back to my old self....

Thank you for letting me vent!

Got this in my email this morning!

I am appalled by your experience , but most appreciative that you let us know.

Please know that we are investigating this urgently.

Thank you for your service.

Carolyn

Carolyn M. Clancy, MD
Deputy Under Secretary for Health,
Organizational Excellence
Department of Veterans Affairs
810 Vermont Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20420
202-461-0370

• HadIt.com Elder
29 minutes ago, Navy4life said:

Got this in my email this morning!

I am appalled by your experience , but most appreciative that you let us know.

Please know that we are investigating this urgently.

Thank you for your service.

Carolyn

Carolyn M. Clancy, MD
Deputy Under Secretary for Health,
Organizational Excellence
Department of Veterans Affairs
810 Vermont Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20420
202-461-0370

Very Good!  I hope that some real changes may result!

For a very long time, VA employees thought of veterans as a troublesome necessary evil that they had to endure.

Anything that re-enforces "You are here for the veterans benefit, they are not here for your convenience" in general,

and specifically that the veterans must be treated with respect should be encouraged.

Edited by Chuck75

Just an FYI ---I received a call from the head director of QTC regarding my incident. I was unable to talk with her since I'm at the doctors with my mom. So she is calling me back at 11am. I am hoping that my voice is heard. I also hope others go the same route and speak up!!!

will keep you all updated!!!

Navy4Life...

I am at a loss for words...I pray for strength for your husband, to be strong for you and support you 1000%.  I wish I could say more but reading this is messing with my mind right now.  As always, I continue to pray for you, and all others here in Hadit land.

Semper Fi.

Andy

Got the call at 11 am and we went through the entire situation.  Apparently the two that I reported tried to say that they were engaged in a conversation regarding Bill Crosby BUT that was a lie!  When I told my side of the story explaining the conversation to her and that they were discussing someone's case and I told her the lady's response about "well the VA just believes them" she stopped me right there and told me that they tried to lie!  I am so glad she believed me.  She indicated that she was processing this higher up and that they would be reprimanded.  She also told me that she was very grateful for reporting it and she only wished that other Vet's would report situations.  I told her I was not going to let this go.  That I would always speak up and not fear retaliation.  She told me that NO Veteran would be treated like that.  She also told me that while it was not a HIPPA violation b/c no actual names were disclosed, it was an uncalled for situation and it would not be tolerated.

She also said the VA has been involved and she told me that she thanked me for mentioning that the doctor's were commended by me as being good and respectful.  

Since I had her on the phone I asked her the process about the C&P exams and she told me that both my C&P's were completed and were with the compliance officer for final review BEFORE going to the VA.  She told as I already knew that I have to request a copy from the VA.  She indicated that the reports would be with the VA next week.

So my message to ALL VETERAN's who feel they have been treated unfairly by the contractor's that are hired by the VA, to please voice your concerns!

I am very pleased with these developments!  Dr. Clancy has been extremely helpful to a number of veterans including me.

This is a perfect example of using the right tool for the job.  A calm accurate explanation of the facts, as opposed to personal opinions and emotional rants, in any given situation will always be much more productive.

If your caller ID captured the QTC director’s telephone number and you have the person’s name, please post it or at the very least share the information with Buck.

For the sake of clarity and accuracy, HIPAA is the correct acronym for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act that was passed by Congress in 1996 (and amended several times thereafter).  Unfortunately, while HIPAA protects the health information of individuals, it does not create a private cause of action for those aggrieved. Individual State laws, however, may provide other theories of liability.