VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD rating difference combat/non combat

Rate this question

Hellraiser7

Question

Greetings. Got good help here before, back for more!

Got my rating for ptsd last year at 50%. Wasnt happy with it for a wide variety of reasons. Anyways, left it alone for a while until i logged onto my ebenefits, and found they listed my ptsd as "noncombat" related. Problem is everything stemmed from my involvement with the iraqi invasion (oif1). I told docs this through c&p process, had outside evidence and support. After this discovery, i met with my VSO and explaind my discontent and confusion why i was rated noncombat. She tells me that i need to have a CIB or CAB on my record. I told her that i was Artillery, and you dont get a CIB unless you are infantry. As for the CAB, it came out in 2005, and i ETSd in 2004, after serving in iraq in 2003. Thataward didnt even exist. She tells me its a grey area and that being rated noncombat vs combat doesnt effect anything.

Is this true? Why does it bother me so much? I would assume that benefits vary for combat to noncombat. How do i go about correcting this? 

"Is this true? Why does it bother me so much? I would assume that benefits vary for combat to noncombat. "

No. All MH SC disabilities are rated the same way,and the comp is the same......it doesn't matter if they are combat or non combat.

Actual Combat has a specific definition, searchable here.

PTSD is not rated ANY different for any Veteran.  Whether you are non-combat or combat, PTSD is based on your MH conditions.  I am 30% for PTSD/MST/Anxiety.  While I feel it was an unjust rating for the trauma I endured from the personal assault I endured, I have just been grateful for the therapy I have gotten.

Your assumption that combat PTSD deserves more of a rating vs. non combat, I would suggest that you really reconsider this assumption.  Your trauma during combat is just as devastating as my non-combat personal assault.

You do not mention anything about your therapy.  Are you in therapy?  If not, I would focus more on how to get a higher rating but rather on how you can get treatment for your PTSD and how it can help you.  Therapy is very helpful.  I am in weekly therapy now and I am so thankful for it!

And yes your VSO was absolutely correct that PTSD is not rated any differently based on non-combat vs. combat.

• HadIt.com Elder

The only thing is   a combat vet don't necessarily have to prove his stressors with a CIB.

But other than that  the benefits all pay the same.

A Vet in receipt of a CIB or CAR is presumed to have experienced his listed Combat Stressors when applying for a PTSD rating. No need for exact dates or Buddy Statements. A BS w/V or any other Combat Award would have the same affect.

Am I right to assume that in MSA PTSD claims, Timely Reports and Medical Evidence (Civilian or Military) help greatly in getting the MH issue SC'd.

Semper Fi