VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim for Diabetes Mellitus

Rate this question

smoothc100

Question

Should I file a claim for diabetes (chronic diseases) under conditions “presumed to be caused by military service” if I am outside the one year window for diagnoses?  I was medically retired on 14 Feb 2014 and was diagnosed with Diabetes mellitus on 21 July 2015. It was discovered through routine blood work and  is controlled through diet and exercise (what little I can do without being in pain for days).

I'd say if similar blood results show up in service med records then file otherwise will be a challenge to make it SC.

I said challenge, not impossibility.  just gotta be tough and work through the process and the curve balls that the VA is

famous for. 

Definitely. Slick is right ...check your SMRs carefully and also go over the Diabetes Training letter here at hadit, available under a search.

DMII can affect the eyes, the skin, the heart, urinary problems , etc etc etc.

Years ago I helped a local vet win a diabetes claim that had been denied at the BVA twice and even denied at the CAVC.

The proof was in his SMRs.His CAVC lawyers never even looked at the SMRs .He got an IMO for free from his endocrinologist after I had prepared a lay medical pattern of how he was symptomatic numerous times with diabetes while in service,and the IMO doctor agreed with it all, after reviewing the SMRs.

The Mil had treated him for venereal disease. He didnt have VD, he had diabetes.

Check over any eye test records and dental records too ,for anything unusual.

You need to go over the SMRs carefully and,in my opinion, you will need an IMO unless there is significant proof of DM in the SMRs based on any glucose readings you got.

Slick and Berta,

Thank you for the response. There is nothing in my SMR with anything that can related to diabetes unfortunately and nothing ever showed up on any blood work until one faithful day. I have been treated at the VA since 2005. I know I will probably need a nexus letter to link it to my service connected back injury as a secondary and maybe some of the medications the VA had me on which, cause weight gain. I was hoping to have it approved under "presumptive", which I know is a shot in the dark.  

I'd be looking specifically at blood glucose levels while in the service.  Anything outside of the normal range of 80 - 120 could indicate an issue.

I have 10% disability for hypertension from the VA,  I  have completed 2 sleep studies and was provided a  C-PAC  by the VA for sleep apnea in which  completed the C&P  recently. I am also being treated for type 2 diabetics, 3 stage kidney damage, ED, is it possible to file claims for all these related illness.