VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary to Service Connected Issue

Rate this question

ShuMan

Question

Is it true that for secondary issues you DO NOT need your in service medical records reviewed in order to obtain a Nexus letter?

And has anyone had any success in claiming secondary issues?

For example I am looking at putting in a claim for neck and hip pain secondary to my service connected lower back pain. I'm being treated for both neck and hip pain by my VA doctor. By treated I mean given Pain killers and muscle relaxers..lol

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Flores,
Do you happen to have acid reflux? I ask because it has landed me in the ER many times with chest pain and rapid pulse that resembles a heart attack. After the EKC and blood tests came back, they were able to determine it was reflux. I never would have imagined stomach acid could do that.

I do, Vync, I have gerd and a hiatal hernia as well. I figured the gerd was causing the chest pain, but its the racing heartbeat that really worries ne. The docs told me that longtime nsaid use was causing or aggravating the gerd and ibs.

Vync, I reread your post, I missed the racing heartbeat portion earlier. You are absolutely right, i had NO idea stomach acid could do that. Its gotten pretty bad, im taking the meds, but so far no improvement, ANYTHING i eat causes pretty moderate symptoms. This sucks, but i appreciate you sharing that, it does help, and i will also take Bucks advice and make sure the kicker is functioning correctly. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey Flores,
It's amazing how reflux can feel so devastating. When I showed up at the ER with chest pain, they brought me back immediately. I wound up being admitted overnight for observation. When I was told it was caused by reflux, I was indeed surprised! I guess it was a better safe than sorry approach.

ShuMan,

Most of my secondary's have been from SC'd arthritis, DDD and DJD.  Most evidence has been X-ray.  And the ratings have been ROM (Range of Motion).  Elbow second to Shoulder, arthritis ROM, xray.  Lumbar second to Cervical Spine, DDD, DJD, ROM, xray.

I also have secondary (rated at zero), scars from warts SC'd, and scars from facial acne SC'd.  As I said, both rated at zero, but if I die from acne, my wife gets DIC..

Just saying

Hamslice

Flores,

Have you had a sleep study done? Some of your symptoms are indicative of sleep apnea! Please please please get that checked, if you haven't already! It is a major player on the silent killer field. SA has been proven to cause a lot of heart related issues.

My chronic acid reflux was cut by 95%, within 2 days of starting using my CPAP. It still shows up, but the belly bonfire is just a smoldering ember now. I sure don't miss waking up in the middle of the night just as I'm about to aspirate acid into my lungs! Talk about scary!

Also my bp has dropped an additional 10 points since CPAP usage started.  It doesn't help with my other sleep issues much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use