VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connection Granted , now what ?

Rate this question

Bigwrench

Question

Hello everyone , I'm new to the site and new to the VA as far as Disability and ratings go . I'm not sure if this post is in the right area so feel free to move it if needed.  

Army 13 Bravo 87-91

filed a claim on bilateral hearing loss and tinnitus in December 2015, in January I was called back to the VA for another test and February 8th I was granted service connection for both with a 10% on Tinnitus and 0% for the hearing loss. I am somewhat confused by the 0% Rating for the bilateral hearing loss , the reason for the 0 rating was given as a speech discrimination in right ear of 86 with avg dB loss of 46 and left ear SD of 88 with avg dB loss of 44

The audiologist also noted a moderate to severe sensoneuroial damage to both ears 

my ear problems started at Ft Bragg 8/88 with a field training exercise where someone threw a simulator grenade under the net of our gun in the middle of the night which landed very Near my sleeping bag . I Couldn't hear for a couple days and ringing off and on since. I wore hearing protection during all live fire missions but not while sleeping on a dry fire training exercise. At that time a hearing test was done which is on record as showing hearing loss at higher hertz levels. The pre enlistment hearing test also showed perfect hearing. 

My Hearing has progressively gotten worse over the years and I really hadn't thought of filing for a claim until a hearing test was done at the VA in 2010 and the audiologist at the time recommended I file , I stewed on it and figured it would be a long drawn out hassle and not worth my time . I was issued hearing aids and life went on. Well I finally filed in December as stated due to the worsening of both conditions and was absolutely floored that a decision was made in 6 weeks which was somewhat favorable.  A friend suggested I add the sensoneuroial loss (since their most recent audiologist added this in her findings during the January 16 test) to the claim and ask for an increase in rating on the hearing loss, which I have done . Also everything has been done electronically online at the eBenefits site up to this point. 

My questions are many but I guess I just wanted to see if there is anything else I should do or if there has been something I have done wrong up to this point to cause the 0% rating ? I uploaded copies of the audiologist statements about the sensoneuroial damage with my last request also. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated , Thank you for this outlet and resource. I have been reading through a bunch of posts today and thought id introduce myself.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I really appreciate the advice guys ! It can be confusing for sure ! A few questions if you guys have time .....

1)   The audiologist I used said I could actually use the Veterans Choice program and start using her but when I look on the VA site it says I am not eligible because a clinic is 21 miles away from home. The Actual VA hospital in Johnson City Tn  is the only place I can receive "Audiology" treatment which is approximately 75 miles away , do they take that into consideration or since a clinic is so close will I always be ineligible for the Veterans Choice program ?

2) When someone says I need to get a hard copy of my C File what do they mean or what process do I have to go through to get my hands on one ?

2a. I sent off to the National Personnel records place through eBenefits site and requested all medical records from 87-91 but was told my file was being used for my current claim and was unavailable. Is this the same thing ?

2b.  My last visit to Mountain Home I was told I could get all my records at the records and information office but I could never find it in that place, so not sure if this is what I need also ?

3) This may be far fetched but it was recommended that I try to get them to pay benefits back to the original injury date of 8/1988 or at least to the date of separation of service. Is that even possible or worth pursuing ?

• HadIt.com Elder

The key is that the Clinic cannot or does not provide the needed services.  The clinic PCP then can start the Choice eligibility process if they cannot provide the services needed within the time limit. You have to get the PCP to do this with or without an appointment. (E Bennies email, talk to the PCP's "nurse", etc.)

On 2/25/2016 at 7:01 PM, Chuck75 said:

The key is that the Clinic cannot or does not provide the needed services.  The clinic PCP then can start the Choice eligibility process if they cannot provide the services needed within the time limit. You have to get the PCP to do this with or without an appointment. (E Bennies email, talk to the PCP's "nurse", etc.)

Are you sure on this. I contacted the Veterans Choice directly and was told it didn't matter if the closer clinic provided the services I needed; If any clinic was within the established distance, no Veterans Choice. However, you may be able to get "pay basis" (not sure on the terminology), if your local provider accepts. You'll still need to start the process with your VA PCP.

On 2/24/2016 at 11:15 AM, Bigwrench said:

I really appreciate the advice guys ! It can be confusing for sure ! A few questions if you guys have time .....

1)   The audiologist I used said I could actually use the Veterans Choice program and start using her but when I look on the VA site it says I am not eligible because a clinic is 21 miles away from home. The Actual VA hospital in Johnson City Tn  is the only place I can receive "Audiology" treatment which is approximately 75 miles away , do they take that into consideration or since a clinic is so close will I always be ineligible for the Veterans Choice program ?

2) When someone says I need to get a hard copy of my C File what do they mean or what process do I have to go through to get my hands on one ?

2a. I sent off to the National Personnel records place through eBenefits site and requested all medical records from 87-91 but was told my file was being used for my current claim and was unavailable. Is this the same thing ?

2b.  My last visit to Mountain Home I was told I could get all my records at the records and information office but I could never find it in that place, so not sure if this is what I need also ?

3) This may be far fetched but it was recommended that I try to get them to pay benefits back to the original injury date of 8/1988 or at least to the date of separation of service. Is that even possible or worth pursuing ?

1) Addressed with reply to Chuck 75

2) The C-File is a different animal than just medical records from the NPR archive. You have to request the C-File from the VA with a FOIA request.

3) This will be a no-go unless you already filed within 1 year of separation and were denied and have new and substantial evidence.