VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about Kidney issues

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

Okay so I have an issue with my kidneys and not sure how to approach it.  I recently had an X-ray then a CT scan and now I have an MRI schedule because I received a letter from my primary care doctor stating the following:

"8mm exophytic lesion mid left kidney, density is higher than a cyst. This may be an hyperdense hemorrhagic or proteinaceious cyst versus enhancing mass, cannot determine on single phase CT. Recommend MRI of the kidneys with gadolinium full for the evaluation to exclude enhancing mass"

I have had a lot of pain in my belly and wasn't sure if it is due to my IBS.  I never thought it could be an issue with my Kidney.

So I went looking through my SMR's and I came across where I was hospitalized in February 1993 for complete internal organ shut down.  I wound up being treated for PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease) as well as Pyelonephritis (Kidney Infection).  I had a temperature of over 105 for days and they actually thought I was dying.  My mother had stated when she walked in to see me, I was naked on ice and wrapped in ice and they were trying to bring my fever down.  I was discharged 5 days later.

Now I am dealing with the issue I am facing with my upcoming MRI.

My question is there any way to relate the issue from 93 to current if in fact I have an issue with my Kidney?

I've suffered for years with pain in my belly and always attributed to IBS but now I am wondering if I was never really treated properly for the kidney issues.  I didn't have medical insurance for over a decade after I got out so I was never really able to follow up.

Thoughts about the CT scan report??? I am a bit worried

Edited by Navy4life

N4L

I had a CT scan a number of months ago regarding my issue with diabetic autonomic neuropathy (symptoms similar to IBS).  When I read the report they were able to determine several things which surprised me.  They noted that I had broken my lower back at some point (news to me), had tissue issues with my lungs they likened to COPD (never smoked), enlarged heart (since debunked by a private cardiologist), and several enlarged lymph nodes in my groin.  They also called for a more detailed MRI as a result of this test

The cardiologist told me that radiologists read things that may or may not be the complete story.  I tell you this so that you wait until the MRI is complete and they have more information before you get overly (possibly) concerned.

Green;

Thanks...I am very worried but that is me :(

My anxiety is really up there!!!!!

I am more concerned about what is wrong with me than anything!!  Thanks :)

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey Navy,
The stomach pain thing could be referred pain. That's when the source of pain is in one spot, but it is felt elsewhere in one or more locations.

Have they done any labs yet? Often those will help to steer them in a particular direction.

How long until they can get you into the MRI? The last time my VAMC scheduled one, it was for about about 4 months later. I filed some complaints and they get me in a the next evening after hours.

1 minute ago, Vync said:

Hey Navy,
The stomach pain thing could be referred pain. That's when the source of pain is in one spot, but it is felt elsewhere in one or more locations.

Have they done any labs yet? Often those will help to steer them in a particular direction.

How long until they can get you into the MRI? The last time my VAMC scheduled one, it was for about about 4 months later. I filed some complaints and they get me in a the next evening after hours.

Vync

I have an MRI scheduled for 2/24/16. They expedited me. Yes blood work was done when they did the CT Scan. 

I agree about the pain issue. For me I have always thought the belly pain is due to my IBS. Now I'm thinking it's quite possible it could be this kidney issue. I remember being hospitalized back in 93 for this very bad infection. Upon further reading my SMR's I think the PID caused the kidney infection. As we all know the military usually gets us back to par so we can get back to work. Not sure if they ever treated me properly. I hope this MRI result is nothing serious but I am worried. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
4 minutes ago, Navy4life said:

Vync

I have an MRI scheduled for 2/24/16. They expedited me. Yes blood work was done when they did the CT Scan. 

I agree about the pain issue. For me I have always thought the belly pain is due to my IBS. Now I'm thinking it's quite possible it could be this kidney issue. I remember being hospitalized back in 93 for this very bad infection. Upon further reading my SMR's I think the PID caused the kidney infection. As we all know the military usually gets us back to par so we can get back to work. Not sure if they ever treated me properly. I hope this MRI result is nothing serious but I am worried. 

Well, that's not too far away. I'm SC for GERD/IBS and can relate to how it can ruin your day. Back in the early 90's, lab results were either on cheap blue/purple carbon paper or a printout. If you still have copies of the results, maybe it would be worth comparing the results from then to the results that you get from your most recent round of testing.

You are definitely correct about the military goal of getting patients back to duty as soon as possible. I would not doubt that unit commanders frequently are part of the driving force behind that by talking with the doctors and urging them to do just that.

You actually won't know until you get the MRI. My brother has just gone through this (he was a  Navy vet also). After his MRI the doctors diagnosed what it was and put him on a treatment plan. Any issues with blood tests or urinalysis tests in the past? Those results could narrow it down. I don't know if your incident in the past would signify a mass in the kidney but it could definitely cause kidney damage. I have a claim in for my kidneys currently ( renal colic and papillary necrosis). Hope all goes well with the MRI.