VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Nexus

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

Is there a specific form for that is called a nexus? Is being put on Light duty after one year after my accident and back then being put on full duty by a Medical Board in the military diagnosis was cognitive TBI?

Edited by jfrei

• HadIt.com Elder

Some private outside Veteran Friendly Dr's have they're own Nexus letter.

Here is a fairly good one.

http://usva101.org/nexus.html

VA forbid their own doctors to write them in 2010. If you submit a DBQ with no doctor's letter attached providing a nexus, VA will gin up their own and I guess I don't need to tell you what it will say most of the time. My suggestion is to research it here first and then ask questions.

You may want to review this document on the subject I created and revised over the years that describes what you need and why. 

http://asknod.org/6051-2/

The crazy one here, for one of my disabilities after being denied service connection I told one of my VA treating doctor that I was denied and he got so pissed that he wrote the simple statement in my progress report that my condition was military related.  No long letter, no big issue. He started treating me within a year from my discharge so VA did not fight or challenge his opinion. 

Ok, so I went the other day to a Private Sleep Dr, who like described above, did a IMO letter.  Picked it up today.

1) He said he was going to write "more than likely as not" but wrote this in one of the sentences. "Based on my examination and records reviewed, in my opinion it is highly probably that his sleep apnea is related to his other service related condition PTSD. This relationship has also been noted in the medical literature".  (My highlights) So, does this look ok? This "sounds" better, but we all know the VA....  

2) Also, he is going to fill out the DBQ for me (sleep apnea). --Do I really need it from him since I have the CPAP now and been diagnosed with sleep apnea from the VA?

Was your medical treatment that put you on light duty directly related to the TBI?  How?  Where were you?  What were the circumstances? Based on those answers, you may not need a nexus in the sense that they are discussed above, that may already be your Nexus.