VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Introduction, New Award and Questions

Rate this question

BabyDoc

Question

Hello everyone!  First I want to introduce myself.  I am a recent USN retiree, 6 years active duty, 14+ years reserve (with deployment), and a qualified submariner.  I am a long time reader and first time poster.  I want to give my sincere gratitude to everyone who posts here, the information in this forum is priceless!

I will spare you all the medical details, the long and short is:  I have a number of chronic service connected disabilities, chiefly IBS and Fibromyalgia, as well as chronic urticaria (hives), scaring secondary to hives, and chronic fissure due to IBS.  Utilizing the knowledge I learned here and from shipmates, I worked with my private physicians and prepared a series of disability benefits questionnaires (DBQ) which the VFW submitted on my behalf.  My claim process was unbelievably fast- it went from intent to file, to filing, to award in seven months.  I was recently awarded the following:  IBS 100%, Chronic Urticaria 60%, Fibromyalgia 40%, Facial Scars 30%, Anal Fissure 20%.  I was awarded 100% total disability compensation with a Special Monthly Compensation (S-1).  I have not yet received my letter, however I can see the benefits in benefits and my VFW rep called me to inform me of the award.  I am very grateful for the award, and consider myself lucky based on the stories I have read here.

I do have a couple of questions, and in advance, thank you for taking time to read this!

1.  I have never heard of anyone being awarded 100% for IBS.  I have chronic oscillating constipation and diarrhea, and constant abdominal pain, which is noted in the DBQ.  I miss a few weeks of work over a year's time due to inability to eat, compounded with the aforementioned bowel issues.  While I am grateful for the award, I do not understand how the VA awarded me 100%.  I thought 30% was tops unless the veteran requested an extra-schedular award (which I did not).  What do you make of this?  Was I assigned a TDIU or something similar without applying for it?  Will or can the VA provide an extra-schedular award without the veteran asking for it?

2.  My award indicates that I was also awarded SMC S-1.  What does this mean?  I do not require a home health aid at this time, although my wife did leave her job to assist me with activities of daily living such as cleaning and cooking since at times, I am not able to complete those tasks due to either bowel issues or exhaustion from fibromyalgia.  The SMC S-1 code indicates that the award was given due to having a 100% disability (IBS) and a second award of 60% (Urticaria).  Is it just standard process to issue an SMC S-1 for someone suffering from two diseases that are over a certain percentage each?

3. Does any of the above legally impact my ability to seek and maintain employment?  Again, I do not have my formal VA letter yet, however, the above mentioned awards seem to indicate that the VA issued a TDIU or something to that effect.  While I am in constant moderate to severe pain, and the problems are chronic and debilitating, I strongly prefer to try to maintain employment because working and staying active as I can seems to help me, at least mentally.  I am afraid that if I quit working and focus solely on my chronic illnesses, my overall life outlook would suffer.  

4.  Lastly, am I missing anything?  

Thank you so very much for you time.  As I learn more, I will be glad to assist anyone here by sharing what I did (almost of it learned here).

Thanks again everyone!

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Hello, I have a question after a few years of waiting I was finally granted a rating of 90%

70% for ptsd/tbi SC

Sleep apnea secondary to ptsd/tbi 0% not service connected

50% for migraines SC

30% for total knee replacement SC

20% for neck SC

10% for arthritics SC

Mid line scar patella service connected 0%

I filed a NOD for the knee and the Ptsd/tbi and the sleep apnea

it has been 10 month the V.A. call and set up a C&P exam for the items I list in the NOD  when I filed the NOD I asked for a DRO instead of the traditional route, After the last C&P  will I have a meeting with the DRO or will he/she decide and let me know by letter. I was also thinking about filing for IU but not sure if I should. Right now I get 1888.00 a month if I got IU should I expect I have no kids but I do have a wife.