VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Foreign Medical Program

Rate this topic

Update:

FMP came through and paid all.  So all is well.  They renewed my faith.  Still have that one small office visit that was rejected at the beginning and caused me to assume they were going to reject my claim.  That's been re-submitted and I'm sure will be paid.

On 8/12/2016 at 6:33 PM, OSC said:

You have a copy of the LOA listing what was being covered and the amounts that were authorized for payment don't you??

OSC

What is a LOA?  Other than verbal approval, I had nothing and was offered nothing in writing.

Edited by Jayco

Congrats on getting your claim taken care of.

You are right in your statement of "renewed faith", I am glad that the VA paid instead of doing their normal foot drag. Other Vets reading this should also be happy that the system actually did work for you and not give up on their particular type of claim...again Congrats.

LOA is Letter of Authorization which is the VA's permission (but as you stated above, the LOA was never issued).

Don't party too much with the Baht you will get, causing any more heart problems...lol.

OSC

I, too, live in a foreign country (Germany). I am new, as I have just received my 50% rating.  I have contacted the FMP, a lot of times, to find out just what is covered.  They will ONLY cover Service connected conditions.  They will, also, cover hearing aids and batteries. No eye glasses. The policy is different and cut and dried.

The people at the FMP are very knowledgeable and friendly (if you treat them like normal people) on the phone.

I would just ask the person you received that verbal approval from for the LOA.

When I was hospitalized last time in the Philippines. the LOA was of course issued by the VA in Manila. Since you are in a country without a VAMC/VARO and dealing directly with the FMP side of the house, you probably should direct your request when you ask for their coverage. 

When I checked out of the hospital there was a split bill waiting for me which needed to be paid before they would allow me to leave. I paid for my NON-Service Connected portion of the bill in cash and the VA had authorized direct billing for the Service Connected portion.

But, if you are satisfied and comfortable with a verbal agreement with the VA, then the LOA point is moot.

OSC

• 2 years later...

Hello Sisters and Brothers:

I read the first four pages to the FMP topic, so does anyone know...

Background:

After relocating to Germany I had to have a root canal, which is a service connected condition on my FMP list that I obtained before relocation. 

I had to travel six hours and stay in hotels for 5 days to find an American trained dentist who followed American dental procedures - communicating the maxillary sinus complications aggravating my dental situation to a local national was to difficult.

Issue/question:

The FMP literature says "transportation and/or travel cost are not reimbursable". Does anyone know of an exception to this rule?

With appreciation,

PJ