VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Loose Rating

Rate this question

Mr.B

Question

If I put in for an increase to my 100% IU/ 90% T&P to become 100% T&P schedule. Could they decrease my rating if I open up my case. I though if you are T&P the VA cannot decrease your rating. Why I trying to do this is because I have 20 years in service and trying to get my full retirement. I have been retired for the past five years. Please let me know something GOD BLESS.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Mr. B,

Generally, if you are designated P&T by the VA, then they will not schedule a review exam for those disabilities. However, if you file a new claim, the VA can and sometimes will, take a look see at your other disabilities. I'm not saying they will for certain, but they could do so.

You also stated that you're currently rated 90% but being paid at 100% due to IU. To go from 90% to 100% schedular is a very difficult thing to do. I'm not saying it's impossible, but depending on your individual ratings for your other disabilities, it could be very hard to achieve.

Normally, if your're are already being paid at the 100% rate, I wouldn't go and start filing for additional things unless those conditions were life threating or you could have the possibility of being awarded SMC ect... However, in your situation, I understand why you would due to the concurrent receipt issue. Right now I trhink you receive 3/4 of your retirement pay and the full 100% from VA. In 2009 you'll receive both your full retirement pay and full VA compensation. That is if Congress doesn't pass full concurrent receipt for 100% IU veterans before that. It was suppose to be passed this year with the 2007 Defense Authorization Act retro active to Jan. 1, 2005, but got shot down in some last minute bickering between the Republicans and Democrats.

I guess it's your call!

Vike 17

Guest rickb54

Mr. B.

Normally I advocate that if a veteran has a disability that is life threating and if his doctor feels that the condition is service connected then put the claim in, regardless of what his present rating is. This of course with the understanding that the va may relook at all you disabilities.

In you case.. you are motivated by greed. You already draw 100% by way of TDIU, but becaue of concurrent receipt you want to be rated 100% schedular. I suggest you cool it and wait for the laws to change so that you can draw your retirement with TDIU.

It is your call, are you one of those people? you know the kind, the kind that money makes people due funny things.......

Rick how do you know if I am motivated by greed. Are you GOD! I just ask a question? I did not come to this board to be judge by anyone. In fact anybody that ask for a increase must be motivated by greed. No, all I want is what is due to me. Yes, some people feel people that served over twenty years of service want something more. No we just want what is due to us by law. GOD BLESS

• HadIt.com Elder

You know the closer you get to 100% from IU the harder it is to actually get 100%. I would say your IU is more secure than a 100% rating.

Guest rickb54

Mr. B,

I am sorry to have upset you.... I guess I could have been a little more tactful, but if I had my meaning would still have been the same. It is just that I have never heard of a veteran wanting to open his claim for the reason you stated. Unlike your situtation, most veterans open claims because they feel thay have a valid medical problem and want to be compensated for it.

In fact when the senate was deciding the issue of concurrent receipt, it was stated that one of the reason they didn't want to allow concurrent receipt was because they were afraid retired veterans would submit new claims just to see if they could qualify for concurrent receipt, and this would cause a greater backlog than already existed. I guess what they feared has come to past. But this is the VA's problem.

You are right however, every veteran should get what is allowed by law, I don't fault anyone for that.

Good luck with your claim.