VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How to get C-file

chief5631

Maybe someone here can answer my question?   Brother's claim denied by the Washington DC office back in 82.   I've filed new claim for him - sent to Regional Office in Georgia.   Do I request the C-File from his 82 claim from the Washington DC Office or the Regional Office in Georgia now ?   

SIS: Your Bro only has (1) C-File, contains everything he ever Filed a claim for.

With that said, don't expect a QUICK turn around on your C-File Request. Mine took 14 mos 01/14 and I don't think that's improved.

Recently I had an opportunity to have a face to face, with a VA Rating Dept Employee. She told me that all C-Files have been digitized and Vets are now getting C-File CD's, instead of reams of paper files. That's great, working through piles of paper is a real pain. She also confirmed the VA Policy of allowing Vet's to view their C-Files at their RO, without an appointment. You can even ask to have certain pages copied.

Have you filed the require "FOIA" form (Freedom of Information Act) with your Bro's RO (VA Regional Office) yet?

Back in 2012, I did a walk in at the RO and completed the C-File FOIA request at the front desk. I wasn't aware that I could have asked to see my C-File while I was there. A Vet is supposed to be able to se their C-File without an appointment, M-F 8-4pm, 1st come 1st served. If the counter person give you any grief about seeing the C-File, ask for their supervisor and have them call the VA 800# for confirmation of the "NO Appointment Necessary," to view C-Files.

Are you using a VSO-Rep, VFW, VVFW, DAV, etc? The Rep can file your FOIA request on your Bro's behalf, if they have his POA on file for claims assistance.

Semper Fi

Folks:

I requested my C-File 8 months ago in anticipation of doing my claim NOD...but at this point no joy in terms of getting my C-File on time to affect the NOD. As a result, I have to go back and pull all of the records I have and get them ready for review by Dr. Ellis' folks. Having my C-File would actually make this much easier to do. But, alas, I've heard of vets now awaiting over a year for their files so I doubt I will have them in time to make a difference for my NOD. Currently, I'm at 90% and just need to get over the hump for 100%. I really figured that 8 months would be enough time to get my  but not these days...Rootbeer22..