VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

G

Question

Hello forum,

I am writing behalf of someone I love dearly. Service member is retired Army, served 23 years and upon retirement was diagnosed with a blood disorder, Polycythemia Vera, later Myelofibrosis, and based on my research it is likely that leukemia will be next.

Service member has filed for VA disability based on what is believed to be a service connected disease. Service member MOS dealt with microwaves, thus greater exposure to RF. Service member served as NBC NCO. Because of the rarity of this disease it poses difficulty in presenting a case. I have been doing research in order to submit a stronger case to VA.

One interesting piece I came across was http://cdmrp.army.mil/pubs/annreports/2004annrep/pdf/10_mdrp.pdf . This would lead me to believe that perhaps the VA does believe there may be possibility of service connection.

I am reaching out for your help and support....thank you in advance.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hello G,
I searched BVA rulings at http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp for Polycythemia Vera and found a lot of denials, but I did find this case where a veteran won their claim (see below). Please note that the veteran served in Vietnam and potentially was exposed to Agent Orange. More importantly, the veteran had a medical nexus from a doctor which opined that the PV was due to their service. From the denials I read, it looks like a nexus from a doctor, preferably an oncologist, would be the most likely way to try to get it service connected. I'm not sure if your veteran friend served in Vietnam, but it would be best to first scour their medical and personnel records for any logical reasons which can indeed help to show exposure. If you can find any scientific case studies relating the cause to the effect, perhaps the doctor could quote them in order to help reinforce his chances. I hope this helps.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp14/Files2/1414817.txt

The Board notes that the Veteran served in the Republic of Vietnam during the Vietnam era.  Therefore, pursuant to 38 U.S.C.A. § 1116(f) (2013), herbicide exposure is presumed and Shedden element (2) has been satisfied.  

Concerning Shedden element (3), a nexus between the Veteran's in-service herbicide exposure and his current polycythemia vera, the Board notes that there are positive nexus opinions of record.  An October 2009 treatment record by Dr. Green, D.O., indicated that it was notable that the Veteran had served in Vietnam and that it was entirely possible that he had been exposed to chemicals during his tour of duty which may have contributed to his myeloproliferative disorder (polycythemia vera is categorized as a myeloproliferative disorder).  Also of record are several letters from Dr. Webb, M.D., the Veteran's primary care physician.  In the most recent letter, dated August 2012, Dr. Webb noted that the Veteran was previously evaluated by a hematologist who believed that chemical exposure during the Veteran's tour in Vietnam, specifically Agent Orange, had contributed to his current medical condition.  Dr. Webb went on to reason that given the lack of other possible etiologies for his condition and the mounting evidence that Agent Orange has been implicated in other cases of polycythemia, the Veteran's exposure would make the most sense for a cause and effect relationship.  Dr. Webb opined that, based on his review of the Veteran's records, he concurred that the Veteran's Vietnam exposure was at least as likely as not to be contributory to his current medical condition.  In the absence of any contrary nexus evidence, the Board finds the private physicians' opinions to be the most probative evidence concerning the etiology of the Veteran's polycythemia vera.  Accordingly, the Board finds Shedden element (3) has been satisfied.

When was the myelofibrosis diagnosed? (In relation to his discharge)

Is he still within one year after his discharge?

Do his inservice med rec show any nexus between the PV and the myelofibrosis?

In this thread ( there is more info here too under Atomic vets or Radiation vets under a hadit search )

http://community.hadit.com/topic/54073-increased-compensation-for-atomic-veterans/#comment-322701

are the radiation exposed presumptives.

Does he had his complete military records? They would include RAD values of radiation dosages, which can be critical to claims due to radiation exposure.

Both the PV and the myelofibrosis should be claimed with any other diagnosis that stems from these disabilities.

This link from the Mayo Clinic shows the potential secondary nature of Myelofibrosis to PV and also contains some potential linkage to radiation exposure.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/myelofibrosis/basics/risk-factors/CON-20027210

Can he join us here?

I have worked on a few radiation claims over the years and they can be very difficult to get awarded.

He might sure definitely need a strong IMO but we need more info.

Internet links are good, and can help support a claim  but are generalized in nature.

A good IMO doctor will use the best links they can find and quote from them in IMOs if needed.

I did see that the myelofibrosis can have a genetic component, and that might be something VA would hone in on, as they don't want to SC genetic diseases.....but there is more to why someone would get this type of disease and radiation exposure is certainly a good reason.

I found only one myelofibrous claim at the BVA. It was remanded for a re open so no help there.

The hadit link above does not work anymore:

Here are the presumptives for radiation exposed veterans:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/radiation/diseases.asp

There are thousands of radiation exposed claims at the BVA site:

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva_search.jsp?QT=cancer&EW=radiation&AT=granted&DB=2012&DB=2013&DB=2014&DB=2015&RS=11

You can narrow that search feature there down to see how VA handles this type of claim.

I might have mentioned a woman ( survivor of deceased radiation exposed vet) I met while waiting for my car to be worked on or inspected...in the hadit link above.

I started to write our site addy down for her, but she had been awarded already by her VARO!

This was a RECA situation. She told me she responded to everything VA asked for in their correspondence and carefully went over all of her husband's military records. I asked about the RAD dosages and she said they were in his mil recs and used to support the RECA case.

She also was a volunteer at the local VAMC, for many years, where I had done volunteer work too.

But things like that don't matter to VA. All claims need documented evidence. There is an on site Vet rep from the state at this VAMC but she said she and her daughter did all the claims work themselves and she didn't need a vet rep.

In this case however, we don't have enough info yet and the RAD dosages will be critical, regardless of the MOS....others will opine here too.

Vync, Berta...thank you both. I've received the VA response and hope to receive a bit more in terms of medical records and NCOER's. Once I do, I'd like to bulletpoint some thoughts and would like to get your opinion.

In regards to the Myelofibrosis, time from service member retirement to diagnosis was 10-12 years. Service member initially diagnosed with Polycythemia Vera, which then became Myelofibrosis.

It seems like higher than normal exposure to dioxin, benzene  and RF are the only instances where I've seen approval.

When was he diagnosed with the Polycythemia Vera? Since that later became the Myelofibrosis, it will have some bearing. I would think if he was diagnosed with the first illness within a few years of retirement, that is definitely showing "continuation of symptoms". 

Yes, please clarify the date because you stated:

"Service member is retired Army, served 23 years and upon retirement was diagnosed with a blood disorder, Polycythemia Vera, later Myelofibrosis"

I thought you meant the PV was on his Discharge Certificate and/or clearly diagnosed in his service medical records shortly before he left the Mil..

With 23 years in and with a successful claim, he might also be eligible for CRDP or CRSC.

We need more info.