VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Post 9/11 GI Bill

Rate this question

GinjaNinja

Question

Wondering if anyone has some realistic insight to how long it takes to see any actual money (BAH or Book stipend) when using the post 9/11 GI Bill.  I applied on Jan 21, started school on Jan 25, and my school is absolutely hounding me for the certificate of eligibility.  I called on the 888 number Tuesday and was told that I will be getting 90% and that my letter should have been sent out. Once I do get it and submit it to my school, how long am I realistically waiting for any money to show up in my account?  I'm halfway done with my first class, I'm getting bills from the school that are stressing me out, and the process so far has already taken over a month, oh and I desperately need a new computer.

4 answers to this question

It could take some time maybe another week or two.  When you call the 800 they should be able to help you out on a time frame.  Your school should have been got the eligibility notice by now??  I know for me it took maybe a week or two before I got my bah and book stipend.

Once my initial certificate was issued, the VA used to take about a month into a course to pay. I think it was a policy of the school not to submit the request until after the last drop date. Now, the school gets paid the week the class starts. Check with your financial aid office and military support office (if you have one) to see what their policy is on when they request funds from the VA. I don't have to re-certify each month, I just stay enrolled. The school and the VA do the rest. Also, if you need it, don't forget you are probably still eligible for student loans.