VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Requesting Increase in existing ratings

Rate this question

samclemmons

Question

Howya Folks. I haven't been around in a while but here is my deal in short.

In 2009 I was given a service connected rating of 60% In Martinsburg WV. These were all bilateral ratings, feet, ankles, knees, hips and back. The back got no percentage but the others were 10% each. I moved to Charleston South Carolina recently requested an increase in compensation but have no C&P exam scheduled yet. I was issued a cane in Martinsburg as well as being scripted for a handicapped parking pass. Since being in Charleston things have deteriorated and after falling and breaking my first cane I was issued a second. I've had surgery on both hands to relieve discomfort and trigger finger from over gripping the damned canes. I've also had surgery on my right knee to try to clean up the meniscus (it didn't help with the pain) which wasn't succesful. I was issued a permanent rigid brace for my right knee and this whole thing has greatly decreased my mobility. I've also been on an assortment of pain killers since being rated, everything from hydrocodone (before they put all the restrictions on it) to ibuprofen and meloxicam and cyclobenzeprine.

I live in Myrtle Beach. I am wondering if anyone had any experience with the C&P exams in Charleston. Do they do it themselves or farm it out? Do I need a private practice IMO for anything? I did claim my hands to be rated as a result of the cane. In general, what should I expect from these people in Charleston? Any suggestions?

Edited by samclemmons

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
19 hours ago, samclemmons said:

Howya Folks. I haven't been around in a while but here is my deal in short.

In 2009 I was given a service connected rating of 60% In Martinsburg WV. These were all bilateral ratings, feet, ankles, knees, hips and back. The back got no percentage but the others were 10% each. I moved to Charleston South Carolina recently requested an increase in compensation but have no C&P exam scheduled yet. I was issued a cane in Martinsburg as well as being scripted for a handicapped parking pass. Since being in Charleston things have deteriorated and after falling and breaking my first cane I was issued a second. I've had surgery on both hands to relieve discomfort and trigger finger from over gripping the damned canes. I've also had surgery on my right knee to try to clean up the meniscus (it didn't help with the pain) which wasn't succesful. I was issued a permanent rigid brace for my right knee and this whole thing has greatly decreased my mobility. I've also been on an assortment of pain killers since being rated, everything from hydrocodone (before they put all the restrictions on it) to ibuprofen and meloxicam and cyclobenzeprine.

I live in Myrtle Beach. I am wondering if anyone had any experience with the C&P exams in Charleston. Do they do it themselves or farm it out? Do I need a private practice IMO for anything? I did claim my hands to be rated as a result of the cane. In general, what should I expect from these people in Charleston? Any suggestions?

I don't know if Charleston farms them out, but you can call the C&P clinic at your VAMC and ask. You don't have to tell them who you are.

If you are filing for an increase, you do not need an IMO. A simple Disability Questionnaire (DBQ) for each condition should suffice as would and range of motion (ROM) values from your existing medical records within the past 12 months. Remember, 12 months is important. If you have documented criteria for an increase within the past 12 months, they can backdate your ratings to those dates if the increase is granted.

I recommend you check the rating criteria for each of your SC disabilities (http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5;node=38:1.0.1.1.5) and see if you meet the criteria for increasing of each disability. Keep in mind that ROM is the basis for many joint/spine disabilities, but some of them, like the spine, include additional possible criteria like altered gait (changes in how you walk), abnormal spinal curvature, etc... The use of a cane/brace may cause your back to get worse and definitely will alter your gait.

If your existing SC disabilities, or side effects of medication used to treat them, cause other rateable disabilities, then an IMO can help.

Examples:
Hydrocodone ==> ED ==> possible SMC-K claim
Physical pain ==> depression ==> possible MH claim
NSAIDs (i.e. ibuprofen) ==> reflux ==> possible digestive claim
etc...

If you are no longer able to work, you might want to also look into filing for SSDI or an extraschedular TDIU rating.

In addition, if the knee brace screws up your clothing, file for clothing allowance before August. Don't throw away any clothes damaged by the brace. The VA is famous for denying because some of their braces "supposedly" don't damage clothing, but it can help prove it.

I hope this helps.

samclemmons .....The C&P Exams for Myrtle Beach area are now being done in the Myrtle Beach Clinic

In February and did not have to go to Charleston ...was done by a PA ......