VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nexus Letter for secondary Anxiety/Depression

Rate this question

OCDMarine

Question

I am 40 percent service connected for Spondy 20% knees 10% patellofemoral.. I am also being treated for Anxiety, Depression, insomnia, fatigue at the VA.  I have been diagnosed with Generalized anxiety disorder, and Major Depressive disorder (mod)  In my records it references that this is because of my Chronic pain.. I also have a Note/letter from my VA MD that says my "Anxiety/Depression is "most likely" caused by my Chronic pain syndrome from my Service connected disabilities"  is this sufficient to get these rated?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you

Edited by OCDMarine
Mispelling

Thx,  My VA Psychiatrist has Referenced my cause of Anxiety (GAD) and Major Depressive Disorder (Moderate) as My chronic pain syndrome caused by my the Back and Knee conditions..  I have deteriorated and these disabilities have impacted my way of life and my earning capabilities.. So that should help get the Anxiety/Depression connected as Secondary to my Physical Disabilities correct?  I also have Insomnia/Migraines/Irritability from my Chronic pain as well.. All noted by my Psychiatrist and Primary Care MD.. Thx

If that is what your doc says its right there in black and white. You should only need an IMO if you find yourself in contention with your doctor over diagnosis. Its sounds like your doctor has already connected them. 

Ok.. That is what i was hopeful to hear.. I submitted my claim in November.. I still may get another Linking letter from my Psychiatrist out in town (who also links the chronic pain as the catylyst).. Now can i be rated for Insomnia? Migraines? 

The insomnia can be a symptom of MDD/anxiety and so falls under the list of symptoms already accounted for for MDD. Migraines can have all sorts of causes- physical, mental, neurological, sinus- best to rule them out one at a time for migraines otherwise you find yourself with a misdiagnosis due to confirmation bias and spend time chasing the wrong therapy. 

OCDMarine, broken soldier 244th is correct in that you shouldn't need another IMO, but there is a good chance you will still be sent to a c&p exam, in fact i would be very surprised if you werent. Sometimes if you have two strong IMOs they will bypass the need for a c&p, however, sometimes they will also rate with just one or none at all if the evidence is strong enough. I think you will be just fine, if they do send you to an exam for rating purposes and it doesnt go well you can always obtain an IMO then. Good Luck to you, and please keep us updated.