VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

meb peb or medically retired

OK I have a strange question I was put up for a med board toward the end of my service before I received my recommendation for my medical discharge I received my honorable discharge

Question 

IM now rated at 40 % at the VA  could I retroactively request a medical retirement?

IM just really confused what happened  . They lost my paper work  and I received my discharge before my meb evaluation was put through 

did I get screwed ?

Can I have it changed ? There are some benefits from being retired that I cannot get  just being disabled

• HadIt.com Elder

The services do this so that they can evade paying. As to your chances of getting things changed, I just have no knowledge. 

Your issue is similar to one that happened to me many decades ago.

The examining separation doctor gave me a choice of honorable separation that my orders called for or getting stuck in what I would term a "mickey mouse" med hold status until the base hospital got around to running a dangerous medical test to verify the problem.

I figured that I'd rather have such a test done on the outside for obvious reasons. Earlier, a Navy hospital had refused to do the test as part of other treatment, even though it would have been easy to do, although perhaps just as dangerous.

On the civilian side, the decision tree was constant pain, do the test. If not, don't, and treat the transient pain. In any event any related surgery had and has only a 50% chance of a fully favorable outcome.

Chuck I don't think that choice was by mere chance.  I had a similar situation when I was getting out of the guard, long story there. However, the jest of it was while in the process of being Med Boarded out due to mental issues, I see why they just separated me and let my contract expire. It's odd in the sense that I wasn't a full timer, I was just an activated guard member that had injuries and conditions during an active period of enlistment.

The more I think about the situation the more this action makes sense,  Avoid treatment costs and any culpability, avoid paying a pensions seems to make more sense.  Hope the member doesn't file for disability and if he or she does, delay as long as possible and hope the Veteran is none the wiser.

Am I way off in left field? Or does this situation seem peculiar?

Of course I will concede to being somewhat paranoid, not very much, may be a lot, non withstanding, a rational mind can't avoid coming to similar conclusions based on evidence and actions of the agencies involved.

Mark if I may not to add to your grief and problem, but have you ever been curious to crunch the numbers?

I would think there would be some recourse that could be taken. More importantly can it be retroactively be changed.  Hmm.

Yea I was put on NPQ status and was not able to drill I was told not to call not to come after 6 mo I called and got the same response from the navy doctor at my Marine reserve unit  then a year went by called and same response the medical  officer was retiring . The new one came on staff found my file and 5 others shoved in the back of a file cabinet I was recalled for a final retention physical and went back into no knowing anything  I found I was honorably discharged because I receved a honorable discharge cert in the Mail  I was like ok WTF so I figured that's it before I knew anything about what was going on I was assigned a JFR3 separation code I do t even know what that means .looking at the dates  I was to be in the IRR on February 5,2001 I was recommend for discharge on March 6,2001

1) what can or should I do?

2)can I get it changed to medically retired?

3) i don't really care about pay but how would it have affected me?

i have found that there are some benefits to being retired then as just disabled 

that sound like a re-entry code but I'm not positive, usually its a 3 letter code, might answer some questions >