VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

meb peb or medically retired

On 3/4/2016 at 9:32 AM, ArNG11 said:

The more I think about the situation the more this action makes sense,  Avoid treatment costs and any culpability, avoid paying a pensions seems to make more sense.  Hope the member doesn't file for disability and if he or she does, delay as long as possible and hope the Veteran is none the wiser.

Am I way off in left field? Or does this situation seem peculiar?

Of course I will concede to being somewhat paranoid, not very much, may be a lot, non withstanding, a rational mind can't avoid coming to similar conclusions based on evidence and actions of the agencies involved.

Mark if I may not to add to your grief and problem, but have you ever been curious to crunch the numbers?

I would think there would be some recourse that could be taken. More importantly can it be retroactively be changed.  Hmm.

but now how or what can i do ?

is there any precedence for this ?

would it matter that at current the disibility noted in my medboard is only at 20 % 

• HadIt.com Elder

The way I see it - - -

Much of the law and regulation in statute and practice is deliberately made in ways that favor the government and the bureaucrats.  Time is one of the things that generally favors the government. Records are no longer available, due to government disposal practices, etc.  In particular, veterans and claims have been hard hit, simply because the evidence requirements involve records that the government often has or had control over.  A more recent example has to do with various Mid east related claims, and the simple fact that a significant amount of records were disposed of rather than pay for transport back to the US and filing. When I started with my claim over a decade ago, I was appalled to find that the government had permitted hospitals to basically dispose of or make unavailable medical records that were over a certain age. This really impacted my ability to show continuity of certain conditions that started in service. Even employers that had kept medical records of in house treatment, and insurance companies seemed to have been allowed to dispose of records that can be critical.  (Unless the records favor the employer or insurance company, then they seem to magically reappear when needed.)

A non medical records issue I currently have is that the only copy of my discharge (Separate from a DD214) I have is not the original. I have been unsuccessful in obtaining a certified copy. The problem is based upon the government itself, in that decades ago, I was required to furnish the original to a government agency that was never returned as it should have been. Never-mind that the original is a matter of public record and was entered into county records decades ago.    (The log entry exists, but there is no copy of the original or detail beyond the date, service, and honorable. )  Seems the state took over the records some time ago. 

The "digitization" of records by the VA and others really scares me. The original record's details can easily be lost or altered due to multiple causes.

I'm not sure where to go with this. I know back in my AF days an original Dd214 got sent to my home of record, the others were sent to me at my forwarding address when I separated. 

What about the local state beureau, when they were processing your medical discharge?  

I dont stay in contact with any of my Guard comrades except one and he was the admin person for our company. I'll check to see what he suggests. 

Ghost files and copies should be available somewehere. 

I have all the copy's of every thing  the meb peb  files with the decisions  

the real question is can I have the honorable changed to medically retired ?

Is there any way to appeal that decision ?

Or am I just screwed ?