VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about Caregiver Program

Rate this topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey JFarr,
Have you filed for SSDI?

Vync, I applied last year and was denied SSDI, I now have a lawyer and refiled.. I am only 39 yrs old and I'm sure that has something to do with my denial letter from SSDI..

Why the question Vync?

I trust, during your interview, nothing was mentioned regarding your wife paying your Bills, etc? With the VA, what you say, can & will be used against you; think Fiduciary Appointment.

As to Vync's SSDI question, how long did you wait to file, after getting your current VA SC rating? What did the SSA give as a reason for the initial Denial?

I could go back and check your prior post, I'm lazy and it's easier just to ask you. Are you 100% SC Scheduler or IU? What are your SC's?

"Live Long and Prosper!"

Semper Fi

Gastone.....I am 100% P&T and have been since 2014, but back dated to 2012, my SC's are PTSD and TBI. I did wait about a year before I filed for SSDI, I thought I was able to go back to work but it didn't work out.  The reason SSA gave me for the initial denial was they stated I could be a cashier.  After the denial I was a little thrown off so I ended up hiring a lawyer after the initial denial and Im still waiting on a response from that claim.   After speaking with my wife I now know why they recommended going to polytrauma and alcohol classes before they move forward with the caregiver claim.

• 11 months later...

I have just filed for aid and attendance. I am fine physically but have alot of mental issues and need someone to help me maintain myself and the house.. anyway i dont want to go into that.. but what is the difference bewteen aid and attendance and smc t caregiver? i'm confused i never heard of caregiver program?

19 hours ago, adkins7b said:

I have just filed for aid and attendance. I am fine physically but have alot of mental issues and need someone to help me maintain myself and the house.. anyway i dont want to go into that.. but what is the difference bewteen aid and attendance and smc t caregiver? i'm confused i never heard of caregiver program?

pre 9/11 veterans and post 9/11 veterans is the main difference, the amount of $$ which is actually quite large (housebound is around 350 and aid and attendance $700 I believe depending on L or L 1/2) while caregiver can be to level a couple grand tax free paid to the caregiver not the veteran, tax free with other benefits like support, caregiver respite etc.  and the caregiver program is supposed to be temporary.  Most veterans when awarded aid and attendance or housebound rarely have that removed after awarded.  I am 99% positive a veteran cannot receive aid and attendance while they have a caregiver being paid.  Pretty sure there was a vet in here trying to receive both not long ago and the VA say not a chance.