VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid &Attentance for Ill Spouse of Vet on Medicaid

Rate this question

Jeniferjmeyer

Question

My father, Veteran, and mother have had A & A of $2120/ month for their joint assisted living. Dad has Alzheimer's and will be moving over to skilled nursing on Saturday. He is on hospice with Alzheimer's. We have to apply in April for Medicaid. Mom has essential tremor and stints in legs. She can't live on her own and will remain in assisted living.  They reside in Indiana. I've been told by VA over a phone that mom will not receive ANY money. Then on another forum an assisting veteran tells me to send in a form 21-4138 and mom will receive the entire benefit of $2120. No directions on this form. Or will dad only get $90 and no income for mom? She only has $600 Soc. Security.  Oh, please help.  I am their fiduciary and daughter.  

Is either your Mom or DAD a service connected disabled Vet?  

The numbers you indicated are consistent with PENSION, not service connection.  

If either are related to military service, you can apply for service connection, and this should increase your total benefit amount.  

This benefit is only pension of aid and attendance, $2120. Mom isn't a vet, just married to one. Dad has Alzheimer's. He was active in WWII during war time.  What will happen to mom? I don't know what forms to use, or if I go to VA facility for help?

Edited by Jeniferjmeyer

If you/your father thinks that his injuries or illness is related to military service, then you should apply for service connection.  To do this, you need to decide which of his current diagnosis are service connected or related to military service. 

If you have all your Dad's medical history records, and military service records, you could try a Fully developed claim. (FDC).  

If you dont have all those records, then you probably need to file a regular claim.

The 21-526 form is here:

https://www.pdffiller.com/en/project/56279807.htm?form_id=338186

To be service connected, you need all 3 of these things DOCUMENTED:

1.  Current diagnosis

2.  In service event, or aggravation.

3.  Nexus, or statement by a doctor that says your current condition is as least as likely as not due to xx event in milatary service.  

You probably also need to file an "intent to file" claim:

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0966-ARE.pdf

Dont send you original service records to VA, send copies only.  

If you have a current diagnosis by a doctor, and some "in service event" or aggravation, then its possible to get a nexus statement from a doctor by:

1.  Just ask your VA doctor.  "Do you think this is related to xx event in military service?"  If he says, "yes", then ask him to document same in his medical records.  

2.  If the VA doctor refuses to make such an opinion, then a private physician may be able to provide the applicaable nexus statement.