VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Texas Property Tax Exemption

Can anyone who has applied for this give me some insight into how long it took to get their refund of past taxes and something in writing they could use to get the mortgage company from withholding tax money to escrow?  I submitted and hand-walked around all the paperwork 3 months ago and still nothing.  It is a significant chunk of money at this point and I would like the $500 a month in my bank account rather than in escrow.  Thanks!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey Talon,
I don't live in Texas, but have you called the state/county tax assessor's office?

Here in Alabama, they would not retroactively go back and refund my property tax prior to the current year when I filed. I'm in talks with a lawyer about it, but if it did go through, they said I might have to go back and amend my tax returns back through the effective year.

Once I got Alabama to approve the change, it went into effect the next month. Now, once a year I get a small letter in the mail from the county property tax assessor's office. I fill it out, make a copy for myself, and mail back the original. That's all I need to do to maintain the property tax exemption. I'm not sure exactly how Texas would handle it, but it very well could be similar.

Not sure if this helps, but I hope it gives you some ideas.

I finally received some info from the county assessor and the county tax office.  I guess they are going to cut me a check sometime in April and mail it to me.  I submitted my VA award letter and hand carried the needed forms back and forth across town between the county agencies the first week of December.  The assessor's office did finally upload it in January and a month later someone in the tax office finally looked at it and now they have 60 more days to do anything with it.  I also had to contact the mortgage company and start some sort of internal work order for them to investigate whether or not I should pay tax into escrow.  Their timeline for fixing my monthly payment and returning the extra money I am dumping into escrow is sometime in May, "most likely".  Hope this helps someone else later, it shows that this is definitely another very slow process.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Well, that's good news. I still pay into escrow because of the fluctuation in property insurance rates.

1 hour ago, Vync said:

Well, that's good news. I still pay into escrow because of the fluctuation in property insurance rates.

Yes, I still pay in for that, but minus the taxes, that's $400 a month for me, BIG difference!

• HadIt.com Elder

I have the property tax exemption too ...but the mortgage company still holds out escrow  b/c of the flex payment in insurance 

This is one of the best benefits a married veteran can get and single if he owns his home.

I got mine when it first was approved  the only stipulation was I had to live in my home a year before the exemption and homestead the property.  which I Did and was living there a year before the exemption. 

This is a benefit that you can be glad you got.

my neighbors jealous...I say will to bad your not a disabled veteran then.