VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Accepted for VOC REHAB now what?

Rate this question

JLino19

Question

Good morning Ladies and Gentleman. I am new to the forum and have learned a lot through the reading and examination of al these previous posts. I appreciate the help. My question is I recently went to my VOC REHAB Orientation. I was approved right away, I brought all the certifications for my line of work that I'd like to get to keep    competitive in my position and also allow for it to move me into more of a managerial position which would suit my SC. I've since left 2 weeks ago and my counselor just keeps giving me a run around about talking to his supervisor about the training, one email was no they won't pay, the next was yes they would explore it but now i need an Occupational Therapy Evaluation to consider it. Do I have to do all of this, are the trying to find a way to Deny me? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

6 answers to this question

I recall that when my husband went through Voc Rehab, long ago,  someone locally set him up for it (I think it was what they called a DVOP then), from the state of NY but he then had to go to Rochester VA to see another counselor and somehow was able to begin the next college semester in time. He too had his PHVAC license and proof he was a former Nuke but he wanted to get into computers instead because this was in 1988. He was employed at the VA at the time.(SC 30% PTSD at that time as well)

I think they have good reasons to set you up with the occupational  therapist.

But those emails concern me.

They seem to have some issue with your need for Voc Rehab. Are you comfortable enough to share the body of those emails with us?

Do you have any degrees already?

Have you found a college ( on line or campus type) that suits the Voc Rehab program you feel is best for you?

Something seems odd here about those emails.

Have they suggested that any non service connected disabilities you might have, would make Voc rehab not feasible?

They need to put this all in writing and you can appeal any denial. But why would they deny you??????

Berta, 

Thats for the response. It really isn't about the degrees for me. With that being said, when I was accepted I wasn't given a track to pursue. He left it blank, but approved me for benefits. I own my own business. I don't want to go to school per say, I need certifications in my line of work to continue o be competitive in my line of work. This is what the email said;

Hello,

I hope you are well. I met with my supervisor and went over your request. Before we can explore the possibilities of your request, I need to submit a referral to Occupational Therapy for an extensive evaluation. We will need to look closely at your current job duties, as well as the training you are requesting, and make sure it would be safe for you to complete, since we have already determined your current work is unsuitable. I will have the referral made on Monday, so that the hospital can get you scheduled.  I will provide you with updates as I have them. Thank you.

I am trying to figure out why they want me to do this if I'm already found entitled. 

Many moons ago I applied for voc rehab.  I filled out an application, met with a counselor and then they set me up to take a series of tests and meet with a psychologist.  At that time I was thinking about learning copier/business machine repair.  They talked me into going to college and I've never regretted that decision.  Given they have determined your current work is "unsuitable" they may be unwilling to give you training to stay in the same occupation, perhaps they want to talk with you about your options?

Green, 

I appreciate the response. See he asked me if I had a plan B and the fact of the matter is that my Plan B is the Self Employment track. I say that because the reason why I am looking for more training in my occupation is because I own my own business, and the industry is evolving and in order to stay within the industry standard I have to evolve as well. I need the training so that I can stop doing the "unsuitable," part of my job and strictly deal with the back end of my business. I will be able to train and have my employees do what I can't do anymore. So he understands that either way Im going to head in that direction and I wouldn't want a counselor to steer me away from something I have already set my heart on let alone spent a lot of my deployment funds on to get going. 

I guess I'm looking to see if they've already deemed me eligible can they rescind that because i continue to push for training or self employment that would both lead to a managerial position where my so's won't hinder my position. 

It sounds like they determined you are eligible for voc rehab, but they have to be agreeable to the track you want to take.  I'd go to whatever meeting they set up.