VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DDD SC

Rate this question

JLino19

Question

I have been SC for my back for a while when i first got out I was 10%, I went for a rating increase and was granted an increase of an additional 10% for 20% total for my back in 2012. Now I have constantly gone back to the VA to get pain meds and therapy for my back and was recently given an MRI which the Chiropractor suggested I do. In it shows that I have 3 herniated discs from L3, Annual Tear on L4, and L5 that is herniated that moves from side to side. I've asked for things to help get my back fixed, and I always get denied for any type of surgery, I was given a tens unit which does nothing, a traction unit that gives me some relief but is so big that i can bring it everywhere with me, especially not at work, and lastly was given lidocaine cream which does nothing as this is a disc problem. I was wondering if any have had an increase from 20% as this seems more than what they are saying it is. Thanks

3 answers to this question

Spine ratings depends typically on Range of Motion.  If you can bend forward less than 30 degrees, that will rate you a 40%.  Remember that they are suppose to note when pain begins and you should stop when you start to hurt.  Ensure that the examiners knows that this is the point that it begins to hurt.

If you are having flexibility issues, and certainly with pain, put in for an increase.

Travis

On 3/7/2016 at 9:37 AM, JLino19 said:

I have been SC for my back for a while when i first got out I was 10%, I went for a rating increase and was granted an increase of an additional 10% for 20% total for my back in 2012. Now I have constantly gone back to the VA to get pain meds and therapy for my back and was recently given an MRI which the Chiropractor suggested I do. In it shows that I have 3 herniated discs from L3, Annual Tear on L4, and L5 that is herniated that moves from side to side. I've asked for things to help get my back fixed, and I always get denied for any type of surgery, I was given a tens unit which does nothing, a traction unit that gives me some relief but is so big that i can bring it everywhere with me, especially not at work, and lastly was given lidocaine cream which does nothing as this is a disc problem. I was wondering if any have had an increase from 20% as this seems more than what they are saying it is. Thanks

after years of trying, i got raised from 10 percent to 40 percent on my back. my lumbar spine has 5 herniated discs, a slipped vertabra, two torn discs, foraminal and spinal stenosis, moderate arthritis and an abnormal upper lordatic curve.