VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Approved for Voc Rehab. But can't figure out exactly how they will assess my stipend?

Rate this question

Ry_guy

Question

Hi,

I was recently approved for 3 years of Voc Rehab to attend the local university for a bachelor's degree in computer science. The reason I went through Voc Rehab is because I had used all but 3 months and 5 days of my post 9/11 G.I. Bill and I knew there was no way to finish a bachelor's without utilizing Voc Rehab. So basically, this approval will add 36 months of Voc Rehab to the 33 months of post 9/11 I already used (for a combined total of 69 months). 

During my appointment the counselor said I was approved (but I'm pretty sure she has to get it approved from her superiors when you are extending beyond 48 months of combined total training). She gave me a checklist of things to complete so I can start the summer semester. My Voc Rehab counselor set an appointment with me for next month and she said we would go over all the other details including pay rates. However, I really need to know now so I can plan accordingly.

I met with my academic advisor at the university and we sat down for awhile and plugged away classes so it looks like I will be able to attend the university every semester (including summers) full time from start to finish.

Anyway, this is what I cannot seem to figure out and where I have heard mixed information:

I heard that, because I have 3 months left of post 9/11 I can elect to receive post 9/11 BAH instead of the Voc Rehab stipend. And even though I only have 3 months left on my post 9/11 G.I. Bill, the entire Voc Rehab program that I was approved for (36 months for a bachelor's in Computer Science) will be at the post 9/11 stipend. Is this True?

I also heard that, because I have 3 months left of post 9/11 I can elect to receive post 9/11 BAH instead of the Voc Rehab stipend. However, as soon as I use up the first 3 months, my BAH will revert to the standard Voc Rehab rate for the remainder of the training program (33 months for a bachelor's in computer science). Is this True?

I also heard that, because I have 3 months left of post 9/11 I can elect to receive post 9/11 BAH instead of the Voc Rehab stipend. However, since I'm going to college and there are natural breaks in between semesters, during those unavoidable breaks, I will not be considered full time, I will not be paid for those days, and my post 9/11 stipend will revert down to the standard Voc Rehab rate for the remainder of the training program. Is this True?

Although my Voc Rehab counselor is supposedly going to explain all of these things next month. I need an idea now so I can properly prepare because there is a huge financial difference and impact between receiving post 9/11 BAH for the whole program or only receiving the standard Voc Rehab stipend through the program.

Thank you

5 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, green said:

Thanks for your response. However, after reviewing the links. My questions have not been answered.

Your topic is: "Approved for Voc Rehab. But can't figure out exactly how they will assess my stipend?" 

I believe the links I provided address that question.  As for your more detailed questions regarding different educational programs and how they can be used together, in tandom, or what comes first, etc.  I think your Voc Rehab Counselor will have to address those.  I couldn't find any reference.

It really cannot be determined yet (the stipend) because you are not matriculated into a college yet, from what I see here.

1/4 ,1/2, or  full time status depends on the number of courses you take.

Obvious a full time student's stipend will be higher than a quarter time student's stipend.

One of those links does have a chart for the stipend amounts.

Military.com has a lot of good info on GI Bill and Voc Rehab and also a discussion area.

To add, if you google VOC Rehab hadit.com, many of our past discussions here on VR and BAH will pop up.