VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hiring a law firm

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

It is often asked "when" or "if" you should hire a lawyer.  

If your claim is at the RO:

You dont need a lawyer at the RO, because the RO employees would not even notice that you had a winning claim and deny it anyway, 85% of the time.

If your claim is at the BVA: 

If this is your FIRST Trip to the BVA, probably not.  You can appeal to the BOARD, just make sure you promptly file the NOD, and file the I9, the two steps which are required.    If you have been to the Board more than once, such as if you get multiple remands, then you need a lawyer.  

If your claim is at the CAVC: 

Dont even think of going to the CAVC without a lawyer.  

I recently hired Gloverluck, a law firm out of Dallas Texas who represents Veterans.   Here are their client reviews:

http://gloverluck.com/veterans-attorney-reviews.html

Website.

http://gloverluck.com/

I was suprised when I called I actually got to talk to an attorney, and not a "menu options" computer, or legal aid.  

There are many good law firms out there, I also considered CCK, B and M, Chris Attig.  

https://cck-law.com/

http://www.vetlawyers.com/

http://www.attiglawfirm.com/

If you have dealt with a law firm with a good result, then add their name to this list.  

I'm waiting to hear back from one, right now.  I got a "sorry we can't help you, but maybe these fine folks can" response a week ago from another.  I won't say who out of respect for them and what they do for the Vets they do help.  Guess my retro won't be big enough to attract anybody's attention. 

Bingo! I mean, strike 2! Now that I'm behind on the count I don't want to see the next pitch coming down the pike.  Sigh...ironically they gave me the number to the DAV and suggested that I call them. They already struck out without even swinging at a single pitch, for me.

4 minutes ago, Andyman73 said:

Bingo! I mean, strike 2! Now that I'm behind on the count I don't want to see the next pitch coming down the pike.  Sigh...ironically they gave me the number to the DAV and suggested that I call them. They already struck out without even swinging at a single pitch, for me.

I know this may not sound very good, however, your recent news may actually have a silver lining in that getting such news from an attorney's office may/can help in determining how best to spend your time and effort.  This whole disability claims process consumes weeks/months/years of one's time, so having a head's up on what may be your chances of success/failure can possibly save you a lot of grief (from proverbially beating your head against the VA Brick Wall, so to speak).

The only possible suggestion I might have is to try and ask about what points of your case were missing or needed further documentation.  Not easy getting such information from a law firm that doesn't want to take your case, but worth a try.  Or take that attitude to a new attorney and make the inquiry.   Good luck.

Thanks, HorizontalMike, but I'm going to take a break from that for a while. I can feel it wanting to take me down a dark path that I won't be able to return from.  

I was standing at the edge of the abyss late last Spring, and while I have moved away from it, it's gravity still pulls at me.  

Andyman...

Dont feel bad.  I have been turned down by a number of lawfirms before being accepted by 2.  If you have a RECENT BVA denial, you can get an attorney much easier.  REASON:  CAVC only takes about six months and regurarly awards EAJA fees. Contrast that to 4 years at the BVA where they dont usually award EAJA fees.  

The problem is that there are more Vets who need help than there are experienced attorneys to serve them.  Generally it just takes too long to get paid, so many lawfirms wont specialize in VA law.  

When I picked a VSO, back in 2002, I had to pick the worst one.  Why?  Because that was the only one who was available to see me in the next 2 weeks.  The ones with a good reputation were all busy...but this guy...he had an appointment available right away.  I wonder why?  Picking a resteraunt "with the shortest wait time" is not always a good way to get the best meal.  

There is a shortage of experienced attornies who represent Veterans.   Contrary to some Vets opinion, Vets law is not all that lucrative for top attornies.  Lets just say you are an attorney and you get a case that there is a good chance you will win 100,000 for the Vet.  This means you have to wait 5 years (on average at the BVA) to collect a measly 20 grand.  Do you want to work for 4 grand a year?   Sure, they have to have lots of these, but many result in zero, (VA pulls shennanigans on attorneys, too, not just us), and, in the mean time they have to pay the Secretary, the legal aid, the phone bill, the light bill...for 5 years..before they collect a penny.  Not everyone can wait 5 years to get paid, I know I could not/did not.  It took seven years before I saw any significant retro (yea, I did get 40% but that was about a 1500 dollar retro.  Im sure these attorneys want to work 3 years to collect 20 percent of 1500 or $300 dollars.   (There is also a shortage of "good" VSO's.)