VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hiring a law firm

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

It is often asked "when" or "if" you should hire a lawyer.  

If your claim is at the RO:

You dont need a lawyer at the RO, because the RO employees would not even notice that you had a winning claim and deny it anyway, 85% of the time.

If your claim is at the BVA: 

If this is your FIRST Trip to the BVA, probably not.  You can appeal to the BOARD, just make sure you promptly file the NOD, and file the I9, the two steps which are required.    If you have been to the Board more than once, such as if you get multiple remands, then you need a lawyer.  

If your claim is at the CAVC: 

Dont even think of going to the CAVC without a lawyer.  

I recently hired Gloverluck, a law firm out of Dallas Texas who represents Veterans.   Here are their client reviews:

http://gloverluck.com/veterans-attorney-reviews.html

Website.

http://gloverluck.com/

I was suprised when I called I actually got to talk to an attorney, and not a "menu options" computer, or legal aid.  

There are many good law firms out there, I also considered CCK, B and M, Chris Attig.  

https://cck-law.com/

http://www.vetlawyers.com/

http://www.attiglawfirm.com/

If you have dealt with a law firm with a good result, then add their name to this list.  

I undrstand they got to pay their bills and feed their kids too. So in the end no one wins, but they can cherry pick their way through the Vets needing help.

No, they can not help "all" Vets.  Its like the guy walking on the beach.  He would pick up a starfish and throw it in the ocean.  Someone asked, "Why do you do this?"  

"Because the starfish die of dehydration on the beach." he responded.  

"But their are millions of starfish on the beach, so why would one starfish make a difference?"

He picked up another starfish, threw it in the ocean and said.  "It matters to that one". 

Vet lawyers can not help every Vet, but they make a difference to those who they do help.  

There are non profits supposed to help the Vets who Vet lawyers can not help.  Unfortuanetely, the biggest, WWP, got infected with greed and squandered the money on lavish hotels and such, instead.  

Edited by broncovet

I got turned down by Vet lawyer's just like I got turned down by VA, until, finally a Vet lawyer accepted me. (Just after a BVA denial).  This is the best time to find a lawyer..just after a BVA denial.  Why?  Because Vet lawyers can go to the CAVC and probably get EAJA fees in a matter of months.  They like getting their money in months, not years.  The broken appeal system, taking 4 or 5 years, really hurts Vets as its difficult to find a lawyer who can wait 5 years to get paid.   It hurts Vets on multiple levels.  

The key for Vets is persistence.  Unfortunately, far too many Vets simply can not persist that long as they die first, or become so ill they can no longer fight.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

broncovet,

I know what you mean about attorneys staying busy busy.

but in my opinion when  veteran finds a caring respectable law firm  it really don't matter how busy they are if there a respectable legit Law firm  they will take their time to help a veteran.

I think a good attorney would want the win under his belt and not so much the retro...sure they want to get paid its how they make there living   but in my opinion a good Law firm will help a veteran &  those that turn us down   well you really never needed them in the first place.

Just keep searching for a good attorney until you find one....there out there.

jmo

................Buck

I have to say this, those law firms I contacted have been mentioned here, with good results and reviews. 

The first one turned me down over the phone.  The second one at least studied my denial letter for a day or two before giving me the ol' "hey good luck, I'm sure someone else can help you, just not us".

And the only reason I contacted them is because my VSO is standing in my way, blocking me, in stead of guiding and assisting me.

I will try not to dehydrate on the beach while waiting for some beach bum to pick me up and toss me back into the briny deep.