VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War Vets with Vitiligo please chime in..

Rate this question

saltydog

Question

Hello, I'm new to this site and this is my first post..  My question is how many members of the Gulf War or any War for that matter got the skin condition Vitiligo during or after deployment???  If so has anyone won benefits for this condition?  I have had this since I was deployed back in 91 however I blew it off and didn't think nothing of it because it started with two small patches..  Over the years after my deployment is has spread all over my body.  My VA doctor said it is a autoimmune disease and could be the cause of my arthritus which is getting worse by the day..   I'm certain this had something to do with my deployment, but the VA doesn't seem to think so they stated in my denial letter there were no cases of Gulf War Vets getting this condition???  I find it hard to believe..  I currently filed a reconsideration for this condition and for PTSD and Arthritus.  After the reconsideration was denied Instead appealing I refiled for PTSD only.  It was denied because the diagnosis was not documented in my medical records  and has since been corrected..  Then a few weeks ago I noticed all of the prior conditions filed for the first claim were added to the second claim of PTSD only... Man this whole process in confusing... Thanks in advance..

Edited by saltydog

The are cases of vitiligo at the BVA web site under their search feature.

This vet is rated for it:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/Files2/0718581.txt

But it is not a Gulf War presumptive.

If you can get an IMO from a skin doctor, that could potentially help SC the vilitigo ,as well as be the cause of your progressive arthritis which, if they rate you for the Vitiligo, then you could claim the arthritis as secondary, if the IMO covers that too.

But actually the VA doc made that nexus statement for you....

"My VA doctor said it is a autoimmune disease and could be the cause of my arthritus which is getting worse by the day..   "

Is that statement documented within your VA medical records? If so you would not  need IMO statement on that but sure  might need for the prime disability -the skin disorder.

Has the PTSD been formally diagnosed by now within your med recs or by a C & P exam?  Or when you left the military?

Can you prove the stressor if they ask for that info?

Yes, ptsd has been documented in my medical records..  My stressor was verified at the C&P However, the C&P stated I had all symptoms but did not have PTSD.. My VSO explained because this happen at the C&P because it wasn't noted in my VA records at that time. Now my VA Dermatologist has not been very helpful to me. He prescribed me steriod cream for my Virtiligo but said there's really nothing he could to about it..  I did have a C&P Exam for the Arthritis and the Virtiligo.  The Dr. noted the Vitiligo was due to exposures in the Gulf and Sun exposure.while being there. She also said my Arthritis was also caused by my service in the Marines due to carrying ALICE pack, filling sandbags, and loading and unloading trucks (My MOS was Motor T)

Thank you Berta for the info!!!!

• Lead Moderator

I know a lot of vets with SKIN conditions.  I have Dercum's disease.  It took me almost 5 years to get SC for this condition.  I was lucky enough to be seen for my lipomas and have them removed in service.  This does not mean they will deny you if you were not seen in service for it.  

Skin condition are presumptive for Gulf War Vets.  For this you need a diagnosis of a skin condition.  Notice they do not say which ones, they leave this open.  You might need to fight it to the BVA, but you can win this.

There is another way with getting a doctor to write a NEXUS linking you skin condition to your time in service.  If you have a doctor who will do this, then great.  If not other doctors will charge for this as they will have to do research and put it together.

Gulf War presumptive illnesses graphic--text version follows.