VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help Needed (brain Operation) So Not Very Sharp

Rate this question

lobo

Question

First I am totally and permantly disabled, is that considered 100%, Non Service conected, I draw Aid & Attendance too and may be a few fries shy of a happy meal, hehe, so please bear with me.

I was on Medicaid benefits for 7 years before switching to VA Benefits as they payed more. I do not have a Medicaid card now. Can I get a Medicaid card just to pay for Doctor visits that the VA Clinic here in Panama City, FL does not supply. Everytime I need something, a Ex-Ray, eye glasses whatever they want me to go out of town to a VA hospital in ALA to get this done, I have a caregiver who can not see to drive at night and the old truck she drives probably would not make it, I am very close to homebound, can hardly walk, talk, can't write, don't dream, memory loss, no death perception, double vision, so I wear eye patch for that, had 2 eye operations to no avail, well the list goes on and on. I hate to have to move, any kind of movement.

I do not want Medicaid to pay me money in anyway, just to be able to see Doctors when needed here local,

would this mess up my VA benefits, How would I apply or who would I call as I was already approved for Medicaid once and was on it for 7 years.

Also my caregiver changed, do I notify anyone, who?:huh:

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Lobo,

Are you drawing social security disability? If you are this might preclude you from getting medicaid depending on the income level. If you are getting social security disability you would qualify for medicare. Medicare pays 80% of doctor bills. As Berta said it would be a good idea to call the patient advocate. If you don't get any answers from the advocate call and ask to speak to the director of the Va medical center. When you ask to speak to the Director they tend to want to help you as opposed to letting you talk to the director. I have been given fee base for several things like physical therapy and xrays. As of late they haven't given me fee base xrays. I only have to drive 2 hours up and 2 hours back to the Va med center. If you were service connected that would be better than Non service connected. Dale Jr. 8

Lobo,

Are you drawing social security disability? If you are this might preclude you from getting medicaid depending on the income level. If you are getting social security disability you would qualify for medicare. Medicare pays 80% of doctor bills. As Berta said it would be a good idea to call the patient advocate. If you don't get any answers from the advocate call and ask to speak to the director of the Va medical center. When you ask to speak to the Director they tend to want to help you as opposed to letting you talk to the director. I have been given fee base for several things like physical therapy and xrays. As of late they haven't given me fee base xrays. I only have to drive 2 hours up and 2 hours back to the Va med center. If you were service connected that would be better than Non service connected. Dale Jr. 8

No I am not on SSI or SSD or Medicare, just VA, I'm a big NASCAR Fan, favorite driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr #8 Bud Chevy

Edited by lobo

Lobo,

Are you saying you have to go to (ALA) Alabama from Florida for treatment at a VA faculity? If this is the case, that does not seem right. I would request to speak to the PT advocate to find out why they are shipping you out for care in another state. If your not going out of state... you should still be receiving care at the closest va medical center......

As has already been said you could requet a fee basic cared from the va and try to stay within your community for medical care. And you should also apply for Social Security Disability, which if approved should also net you medicare , for you medical needs.

I think that with Medicaid they base approval on all income to include va compensation. Other than that sounds like you know more about medicaid than the rest of us since you have had it before.

Best of luck.....

Yes I believe with the VA compensation I can not get Medicaid or Medicare. Yes I live in Panama City, FL and nearest VAMC is in Mongomery, AL. Yes fee basis service I must check on, thanks all

Lobo,

Can you get x-rays here ?

carlie

VA Gulf Coast Health Care System - PanamaOutpatient Clinic

6703 West Highway 98

Panama City Beach, FL 32407

Phone: 850-636-7000

VA Gulf Coast Health Care System - Pensacola Outpatient Clinic

312 Kenmore Road

Pensacola, FL 32503

Phone: 850-476-1100

Gainesville/Lake City Shuttle and DAV Vans

North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System

Gainesville/Lake City Shuttle

The shuttle will operate Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, at the following times:

Depart Gainesville Arrive Lake City Depart Lake City Arrive Gainesville

7:00 a.m. 8:00 a.m. 7:00 a.m.* 8:00 a.m.

8:30 a.m.* 9:30 a.m. 8:30 a.m. 9:30 a.m.

10:00 a.m. 11:00 a.m. 10:00 a.m.* 11:00 a.m.

11:30 a.m.* 12:30 p.m. 11:30 a.m. 12:30 p.m.

1:30 p.m. 2:30 p.m. 1:30 p.m.* 2:30 p.m.

3:00 p.m. 4:00 p.m. 3:00 p.m. 4:00 p.m.

Normally a 15-passenger (including driver) van and a bus equipped with a wheelchair lift will be used on shuttles. Departure times for the wheelchair capable bus are identified with an asterisk in the schedule above. When necessary and possible, drivers will use alternate vehicles that meet the transportation requirements. If not possible, transportation requirements will be satisfied with other transportation modes.

Patients traveling on the shuttle should notify the receptionist at the clinic when they check in that they are using the shuttle.

DAV Vans

The DAV vans provide transportation for eligible veterans to System facilities using volunteer drivers. The DAV Hospital Service Coordinators (HSC), at extensions 6436 (Gainesville) and 2649 (Lake City), are responsible for coordinating operations of the network, including the DAV vans.

Volunteer drivers are needed - please call the HSC if you would like to volunteer.

RESERVATIONS

The HSC must be notified a minimum of 24 hours in advance of prospective transport. The HSCs are notified directly or through a network of volunteers located in the areas serviced by the Volunteer Patient Transportation Network. MAS/Transportation Clerks or Social Workers will notify the HSC when they become aware of a veteran requiring transportation. DAV vans can carry 7, 9, or 12 passengers (including driver) and are not equipped to accommodate wheelchair passengers. The system is designed to be used by ambulatory patients or patients that require minimal assistance in ambulating (crutches, cane, walker, etc). Wheelchair patients must be capable of performing independent transfers into the vans or buses to include the transfer of their wheelchair into the vehicle.

CANCELLATIONS

Passengers must cancel their reservations with the HSC as soon as they become aware that they no longer require transportation.

SCHEDULES

Depending on transportation requirements and driver availability, the following vans run every day (Monday – Friday) except holidays:

Depart Arrive Depart*

Jacksonville 7:30 a.m. Gainesville 9:15 a.m. Gainesville 2:00 p.m.

Ocala 7:30 a.m. Gainesville 8:30 a.m. Gainesville 2:00 p.m.

Daytona 7:00 a.m. Gainesville 9:15 a.m. Gainesville 2:00 p.m.

*Vans may depart earlier, depending on passenger readiness. Vans will depart no later than 2:00 p.m.

Depending on requirements and driver availability, the following DAV vans run at varied times to and from Gainesville: Lake Panasofkee, Flagler, Lady Lake, Inverness, Eustis, and St. Augustine.

A DAV van also runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays from Daytona to Jacksonville with an enroute stop in St. Augustine, if required.

Depending on requirements and driver availability, the following DAV van runs at varied times (primarily on Tuesday and Friday) to and from Lake City:

Depart Arrive Depart

Waycross 6:00 a.m. Lake City 8:30 a.m. Lake City 3:30 p.m.

Three vans (one at Gainesville, one at Lake City, and one at the Ocala Clinic) are used for pickup and delivery of patients in the local areas.

Parent Facility: VA Gulf Coast Veterans HCS (Biloxi)

Phone: (228) 523-5000 or (800) 296-8872

Parent Facility: VA Gulf Coast HCS (Biloxi)

Phone: (228) 523-5000 or (800) 296-8872