VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Story You Won't Believe (MUST READ)

Rate this question

Crossfit702

Question

Okay, so this is going to be hard to believe for anyone reading this, and it's fine if you don't because it happened to me and I'm still having hard time believing it.

Back in 2014 I got into an argument with a VA dermatology doctor about putting me on Accutaine/ Isotretinoin for Cystic Acne. I showed her that I hadn't finished the treatment as a civilian due to entering the service and the same thing happened upon getting out, but she wouldn't put me on it and claimed no sane doctor would. I went to a civilian dermatologist and she recommended I be put on the treatment on the first visit. Furthermore, the civilian doctor said I would be a "perfect candidate" for the treatment. I brought this back to the VA dermatologist and she was furious. She stuck to her decision, and brought in a fellow dermatologist to back her up, and man she brought in identified himself as a dermatologist and backed her up and that was about it for that situation...

Almost two years later, this past March 7th, I had an appointment for a GERD disability claim, and a lower back pain disability claim. The examiner was none other then the dermatologist my psycho dermatologist doctor brought in to back her up. It took me a while to remember where I had seen him before, but halfway through the exam it hit me. However, he didn't recognize me. He also didn't seem to know anything about the human body because when I tried to explain to him that a bad knee day equals a bad lower back day he tried to tell me this did not matter. This was quite shocking and disturbing to hear because my chiropractor has told me that the two issues are connected, and so did my knee surgeon. Then last week I went to pick-up a buddy of mine at the ER due to a really bad sinus infection, and when I went to the front desk to get my friend I see the same guy who was my C&P examiner and who supposedly was a dermatologist treating patients in the ER!! What the hell is going on here? Is this dude even a doctor at all? Has anyone experienced such a thing?

6 answers to this question

I never had an experience like this BUT, I wouldn't put it past the VA and it's Doctor's.  Heck they even have nurse practioners posing as doctors for the C&P.   I read somewhere that the "doctor" wasn't even medically trained.

TexasMarine, sir that's crazy and disturbing to hear! I let my attorney know right away. She told me not to worry, and if things didn't go our way we would appeal and use this situation as one of the reasons to appeal.

You can get the persons name that treated you. Then, on the VHA website ( http://www.va.gov/health/ ), look up the location that you were treated at.  Once there, go to the section "health care providers", and look up the person who treated you.

This will tell you exactly who they are, what they are qualified to do, where they were licensed, and where the VA has them working.

I find that they use Physicians Assistants a lot of the time.  You should also look into your VA Blue Button reports to see if the consult given was entered into your records.  I ran across resident physicians assigned to treat me by the PCP who were not listed in the local VA health care providers list.

Remember, at the VA where you are being treated, if you are not happy with the MD that is treating you, you can ask for a new doctor....and they must comply.  You deserve competent care, and if a provider cannot, or will not, give you logical reasons and purposes for the treatments that they prescribe or deny to you, then you have a valid cause of concern.

Edited by pwrslm

Crossfit702, you can always challenge the c&p exam and the competency of the examiner. Google "junk science invades va like ants at a picnic), i believe the article is located on the Attig law blog, and it tells you word for word exactly how to challenge the exam, what statements to use, and so forth. Even though you have an attorney, once you get the exam results, if the examiner was a moron i would write (or type) the statement up myself, then send it to your attorney to proofread and submit for you.

This is common in the VA and Active Duty Clinics, maybe system-wide in the country now, even elsewhere?  My PA was called/called herself "Doctor" for over a year.  A few months ago, they started calling her "Miss".  Funny, because was very specific that I needed an actual MD when they made me start going to their "Remote Clinic" they established so we couldn't go to private Docs around here anymore. I have too many issues for a "Sudafed/Motrin" Doc to handle.  Maybe this is part of the reason why I cannot get any pain meds prescribed, besides the 'nationwide ban'?

I saw a PHD Counselor for my PTSD C&P, all others were PA's or (NO KIDDING, on a contractor exam), predominantly their effing secretary!  This is why I have sorry a$$ connections like 10% for ITB syndrome in left thigh when it is a HIP Condition!  I have a dead subcutaneous nerve in my right thigh as the residual of a procedure entering my femoral, I guess they are the same thing, lol.  The PA's are nothing more than a 'Google Search' and 'Web MD' automated service.  This also why I have been on antibiotics since January again and a week after the series is done, sick again.  See, there is not a check box to select for disabled veteran with complex, overlapping issues.  Cognitive skills are required. 

Talon II FE, flores97, pwrlsm

Thanks guys for the replies. Talon, I got a story for you buddy.

So, on June 9, 2015 I get in a car accident. The other driver was completely at fault. I initially denied all medical care at first, but the pain kicked in later after the adrenaline had gone down. Therefore, I make the 45-minute drive to the VA Hospital's ER here in Vegas (which of course, is empty since it's on your way out of Vegas to Utah). I get this doctor that barely lets me finish talking, and tries to discharge me and give me an Ibuprofen. I was pissed-off and left on a 45-minute drive back home to use the civilian hospital next to me. Where they did several exams including x-rays. They found out that i had multiple back injuries, and spinal cord injury near the neck. However, no clean break. Later, i found out this VA doctor who saw me in the ER wrote a very nasty report on top of being medically negligent in my examination. This "animal" who holds the title of "doctor" wrote the following (at the end of my medical report): 

"The patient's behavior confirmed my suspicions that he was seeking the prescription of a narcotic."

The only reason I haven't showed up at the VA Hospital ER in the middle of the night looking for this guy. Is because not long ago I got the news that I got into Harvard University, and I promised my dad I wouldn't do anything to screw that up. However, till this day even as I am writing right now my blood pressure gets elevated just thinking about it. When my mom found out she almost had a heart attack. Thank god she didn't. Not, just because she is my mom, but because if she had that doctor would be 6-feet under no doubt about 100%. 

I tell you this because I feel you on the pain medication problem. My physical pain is minor, and I do not require actual narcotics (at least not yet). However, I feel for you and some of my buddies in similar situations.