VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Copies of C&P Exam Results Must Now Be Requested from Your RO?

Rate this question

lotzaspotz

Question

This is interesting and unfortunate, if true.  My husband had another C&P exam yesterday. It was at a VA office in town dedicated to these exams, but not at the VAMC.  While it was going on and I was waiting in the lobby, I asked the receptionist for the form to complete to get a copy of it, as I've always done.  She replied, and the examiner later concurred when I asked him the same thing, that the VA nationwide has implemented a new policy.  Copies of exam results must now be requested directly from the RO, and will not be available until after a claim is decided.  VAMC's will no longer provide copies to veterans.  You can guess what's going to happen (or more likely, not happen) if veterans have to jump through this brand new hoop to get medical information that rightfully belongs to them in reference to their claims and appeals.

Has anyone else heard this?  I'm wondering how the HIPAA laws impact this.  Our Congressman is also an M.D., and I'm ready to contact him, but I'd first like to get my facts straight.  I asked about accessing the information on ebenefits, but they told me to expect a change in that, but they didn't know how that was all going to shake out.  

Edited by lotzaspotz

They apparently feel Like the vets are getting to much information and catching errors that screw up their indecision process!

From what I have learned over the past 6 years, that is the way it has always been, just the policy hasn't been enforced at most RO's.  The C&P exam is technically part of your claim, not health records, so technically we shouldn't be able to see the results until the claim is completed.  I know that sucks, cause it's nice to get an idea of what the doctor actually is reporting.  We have to remember that the C&P doctors are not part of the VAMC, they are part of the RO.  I have all my claims done through the Boise RO here in Idaho and I have always been able to see my C&P's a few days later.  But I have heard of others stating what you said a couple years ago.  

11 minutes ago, Okichewy1 said:

From what I have learned over the past 6 years, that is the way it has always been, just the policy hasn't been enforced at most RO's.  The C&P exam is technically part of your claim, not health records, so technically we shouldn't be able to see the results until the claim is completed.  I know that sucks, cause it's nice to get an idea of what the doctor actually is reporting.  We have to remember that the C&P doctors are not part of the VAMC, they are part of the RO.  I have all my claims done through the Boise RO here in Idaho and I have always been able to see my C&P's a few days later.  But I have heard of others stating what you said a couple years ago.  

its always been the policy of the vba. the exam is not part of the vha. its just been throughout the years, some regional offices adhered to the policy and others didn't.

2 hours ago, wingnut73 said:

They apparently feel Like the vets are getting to much information and catching errors that screw up their indecision process!

when my clinic still did the exams, veterans would call the ortho doctor and bitch about their report even before the claim was adjudicated. he got pissed and i can't say i blamed him!

Yep.   Always remember this, tho. 

"The left hand of VA does not know what the right hand is doing".  

Try the "teenager" method.  First, always try sugar.  It works better than vinegar.  Be nice, and ask.  But, when that fails:    

If Employee A (Mom) says no, ask employee B (Dad).  

If Employee A and B say no, then ask Employee or Supervisor C (YOur teacher).  

If there is any disagreement between A, B, or C, manipulate the situation to your advantage:

"But, Dad, the teacher says its necessary".  or, in VA speak, "Your supervisor said...."

Of course, the reverse also works, "Teacher, my mother prohibits this.  Do you want to my Mom to call the principal?"  

Teenagers have been using this method for hundreds of years to get into trouble.  It works.  Look how many teenagers have succeeded in getting into trouble.  I was one of them.

CAUTION:   Don't Lie, but manipulate instead.  "Gee, Dad, its not my fault the teacher said, "quote what teacher said".    VA speak:  "Gee, Your boss said ......, do you want me to call him and tell him about your reluctance to do this?"   

Use the bosses name..after you discuss the issue with the boss.  Its also good to use a little Fear, for example:

"Does(Bob johnson, insert Directors name)  know about this?"

Remember, when ever there is something wrong at VA, it always boils down to "who knew what and when".    When Shinseki got fired, he remarked he trusted what his employees told him to his demise.   You can even quote that to the supervisor, but look up Shinseki's exact words.  

Edited by broncovet