• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
cavscout1967

What does this mean?

Question

Hi all,

I got this letter from the VA today and I don't understand what it means. I am going to type it in and see if someone can help me out.

We have implemented the decision form the board of veteran appeals of march 12 2016

This letter tells you about your entitlement amount and payment start date and what we decided.

Your monthly entitlement amount is shown below:

$541 sept 1 2009

$770. oct 1 2011

$797 dec 1 2011

$810 Dec 2012

$822 de 2013

$836 dec 2014

$917 nov 1 2015

$976 Jan 2016

$917 Mar 2020

You can expect payment the first month following your effective date. 

What we decided is open reduction fracture which is currently 10% disabling is increased to 20% effective from Aug 2009. Also the 10% knee strain effective date is granted to august 2009

Your overall rating is 50%

I was at 10% for years then up to 20% for a few more years and been at 40% for the last few yrs. Do you need more info? What does all this mean in laymans terms?

Thanks for your time and input.

4 answers to this question

If you look at the following website http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/resources_comp0100.asp and scroll to the bottom you will find historic rates. 

As far as I can tell, the Sept 1, 2009 rate was the single no children rate paid at that time if rated at 40%

Dec 2011 @ $797 was the 50% rate payable to those single with no children.

All the December ratings reflect an increase in the cost of living and that percent applied.

$976 is the current payment for a 50% disabled vet who is married and has one child.

I have no idea why you have a $ amount for march of 2020 unless you have a child who will be over the age of 18 at that time.

I assume this ties into some backpay?

Edited by green

Yes it does apply to backpay. I was hoping someone could tell me what roughly it would be or tell me how I could try and figure it out or even tell me if I am getting any. Thanks for responding.

You would need to compare those rates to what you were actually paid at that time in order to figure out your backpay amount.  I've heard that people receive backpay before they receive the letter.  Have you checked your bank account?

Yes I checked it and its says nothing new. But it does sound to you like I am going to get some backpay then? Whatever the amount I guess it will go back to 2009 then. I just have trouble with the math is it 20% for 5 years or 10% or...hahahaha math sucks. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me. I appreciate it!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By baezivy
      Hello everyone. I filed an appeal this past October 28th. Since the appeals process has changed and I am new to this, has anyone appealed a denied decision or a low rating recently and has received a decision on the appeal? If so, how long did it take to get a decision from the date you filed? I am just wondering how long the appeal takes. My claim was pretty quick, it took about 3 months which wasn't bad. Thank you all.
    • By Sherminater
      Hello fellow Vets!
      I recognize it’s a lot to read... It’s my first time making a blog post and I want to be clear and get solid and knowledgable responses from y’all. Thanks in advance!!
      History... Filed a claim for VA disability benefits April 2013. Hand delivered over 200 documents in support of my claim to the Houston VA office in January 2014 (prior to a decision letter on my claim). Decision letter received in March 2014. Failed to achieve a rating above zero percent on any of the disabilities claimed and no service connection for Major Depressive Disorder(MDD). 
      The documents I filed at the VA were date stamped Jan 8, 2014 and included the only records I had in support of this claim, especially for the MDD.

Fast forward... Intent to File submitted in August 1, 2018 (at my attorneys direction). His office then submitted a supplemental (including 16 pages of the very same supporting documents that I submitted to the VA in 2014) on the 364th day. 

Well,  that supplemental got me appointments with two different C&P professionals and resulted in a combined rating of 70% (10% knee and 70% MDD) effective July 30, 2019. The same VA documents filed by me in 2014 and (fewer) mailed with the supplemental were recently reviewed at my C&P exam by the psychologist conducting the interview. He asked for my help to show him any document in my file that made it clear and unmistakable that my MDD was/is service connected. It took all of thirty seconds to search his computer with my VA records on it to locate a document from my psychiatrist and head of psychiatry at my last duty station. These are the very same documents which were in the VA’s possession prior to my initial claim attempted in 2013/2014. Meaning there is NO new or compelling evidence!
      Question 1 - So why did they schedule (allow) these appointments and the case to be reopened with no new and/or relevant evidence? 
      Question 2 - Why was it right (or was it) for my attorney to file a supplemental (vs. just filing for a new claim)? At least with a new claim I may have been able to receive (the 11 or so months of) backpay from the Intent to File date.
      It seems the supplemental has NO benefit over just requesting to open a new claim. Or is it not allowed for veterans to file a new claim for any previously claimed ailment(s)?
      Question 3 - Is it a fact that the VA made a clear and unmistakable error with regard to no service connection for MDD?
      ... by not reviewing those documents which were right in front of them? And if the documents prove the date they were filed, isn’t it undeniable? And if I am now rated at 70%....
      Question 4 - Shouldn’t this be one of those CUE cases that should/could be potentially won for backpay to April 2013?
      This is the first time they scheduled me for ANY C&P appointments for any reason ever. Yet, this is at least the third attempt at filing a VA disability claim.

Question 5 - What makes the VA decide for or against these C&P exam appointments?

• By Mikeoif
      I filed for tdiu and ptsd claim in Oct of 18, I didn't have all my medical files lined up and was given service connection for unspecified anxiety at 30% in March 19, and denied tdiu for failed scheduled rating needed and they mentioned that I had work experince and helped for a year with my niece , weird mention in the paperwork for why tdiu was denied but whatever. So I filed supplemental claim in april and had a highly regarded univeristy brain department and psychiatrist department diagnosis me for ptsd as a referral from the VA. So boom got another c&p in June and was given 70 % rating for ptsd but didn't file anything for the tdiu, at this time hired a va lawyer before I got my 70% rating thinking id have to appeal if they denied my ptsd again but they didn't so then I kept the lawyers on as they looked at my files for more things to be done and then they had me file tdiu paper work again but then on OCT 31st they filed a higher level review for my TDIU decision going back to march when it was denied. My two questions are how does HLR handle tdiu claims and cause I was denied originally for it for lack of rating and lack of medical evidence does my new c&p in June and my medical diagnosis with recommendation that got me to 70% now, will that evidence be included in the review of the tdiu or is the Review just of the evidence that was available at the time of the original denial back in march? I've been out of work for over a year as well but haven't kept a job down for a decade though I've tried for sure. OIF 08-09 1-22 INF, 1 BCT, 4th I.D. Also do granted my tdiu effective date should be Oct 2018 right as my intent to file date? Thanks
    • By rgpadr
      My husband, Marine Korea, Camp Lejeune, received 100% disability for kidney cancer, then VA cancelled it saying not enough proof.  Can't be biopsied due to congestive heart failure and location of small tumor and radiologist and urologic oncologist have stated he has renal cell carcinoma.  There are CTScans. He appealed.
      Now ALL his medical records from the original disability claim and the appeal, all filed by the local VA rep. have disappeared from his online file.  This was confirmed today by the VA dr. who did his yrly. checkup.  He could not find them either and said it is very difficult to delete the files and they are gone; showed me the empty screens.  For those that are wondering his medical for the cancer was done at outside source because he has retired medical insurance from NYS and medicare.
      Has anyone heard of files disappearing this way and what have they done about it?  We live in Bayfield, CO, 4.5 hrs from Albuquerque, NM and 7 hrs from Denver?  I do have copies of the relevant files. 
      Thank you for any help,
      Bob and Alice
    • By WomanMarine
      I have an appeal in with the BVA. 
      In 1980 when I asked for an increase on my 0% rated disability, rather than increasing it, they totally removed it! I believe this is a CUE. I have just recently been awarded my disability @ the 100% unemployability rate. The V.A. even states in my decision that my knee should have been 30% PRIOR to service ... 
      I submitted my NOD for new effective date October 2018 and have not heard a word; except folks @ 1-800 telling me it does not exist; only to recant when I tell them I am looking at the original ... 
      Is this normal?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 18 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
    • I was denied SC for IBS and GERD IN 2011. In 2019 I was awarded SC for GERD. This CUE  is for 2011, both GERD and IBS. There are some odd aspects regarding the 2011 decision, the way it was written and the C&P report and the way it was written. I've tried to present this as clearly as I can. Note: the decision contradicts itself. the decision also contradicts the C&P Report. Honestly, I think the rater just got confused because the C&P was so poorly written. *THIS CUE HAS NOT YET BEEN SUBMITTED*Please let me know what you think. Appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks.

VA RATING DECISION MARCH 23 2011 GERD IBS.pdf C P REPORT 7312010 GERD IBS.pdf GERD IBS CUE 2011(1).pdf

C P ADDENDUM REQUEST RE DIAGNOSIS 7232010.pdf
      • 56 replies
    • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims
      When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a Veterans Affairs Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about when it comes to filing Veterans Affairs Disability Claims. [Reprinted here with permission from Veterans Law Blog]
      • 0 replies
    • Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemptions by State
      Alabama 
      A disabled veteran in Alabama may receive a full property tax exemption on his/her primary residence if the veteran is 100 percent disabled as a result of service and has a net annual income of $12,000 or less.
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines