VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What does this mean?

Rate this question

cavscout1967

Question

Hi all,

I got this letter from the VA today and I don't understand what it means. I am going to type it in and see if someone can help me out.

We have implemented the decision form the board of veteran appeals of march 12 2016

This letter tells you about your entitlement amount and payment start date and what we decided.

Your monthly entitlement amount is shown below:

$541 sept 1 2009

$770. oct 1 2011

$797 dec 1 2011

$810 Dec 2012

$822 de 2013

$836 dec 2014

$917 nov 1 2015

$976 Jan 2016

$917 Mar 2020

You can expect payment the first month following your effective date. 

What we decided is open reduction fracture which is currently 10% disabling is increased to 20% effective from Aug 2009. Also the 10% knee strain effective date is granted to august 2009

Your overall rating is 50%

I was at 10% for years then up to 20% for a few more years and been at 40% for the last few yrs. Do you need more info? What does all this mean in laymans terms?

Thanks for your time and input.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

If you look at the following website http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/resources_comp0100.asp and scroll to the bottom you will find historic rates. 

As far as I can tell, the Sept 1, 2009 rate was the single no children rate paid at that time if rated at 40%

Dec 2011 @ $797 was the 50% rate payable to those single with no children.

All the December ratings reflect an increase in the cost of living and that percent applied.

$976 is the current payment for a 50% disabled vet who is married and has one child.

I have no idea why you have a $ amount for march of 2020 unless you have a child who will be over the age of 18 at that time.

I assume this ties into some backpay?

Edited by green

Yes it does apply to backpay. I was hoping someone could tell me what roughly it would be or tell me how I could try and figure it out or even tell me if I am getting any. Thanks for responding.

You would need to compare those rates to what you were actually paid at that time in order to figure out your backpay amount.  I've heard that people receive backpay before they receive the letter.  Have you checked your bank account?

Yes I checked it and its says nothing new. But it does sound to you like I am going to get some backpay then? Whatever the amount I guess it will go back to 2009 then. I just have trouble with the math is it 20% for 5 years or 10% or...hahahaha math sucks. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me. I appreciate it!